combined UHF/VHF/VOOM install issue(s)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cwest111111

Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
A few days ago I had VOOM installed—I’m reasonably confident that Dolan will acquire VOOM’s assets and keep the service alive. I also recall reading in some analysis one time that Dolan and Malone (Liberty Media) are “friends.” OK, enough rationalizing for my decision :)

Installing VOOM seems to have opened a tin of tech worms (for me)! I assumed that local channels meant just that—not local UHF channels only. Although there are several UHF channels that antennaweb indicates I can receive, the VOOM receiver is “saying” there isn’t a signal for most of them. The installation included an OTA antenna and a preamp. I still want to see the VHF channels. I also want to distribute signals to 1-2 SD TVs, but after seeing HD I’m close to deciding to buy more LCD monitors.

From lots of reading in this forum it seems that I need to do something like the following and I’d greatly appreciate some feedback and suggestions. In other words help, please.

In addition to the satellite dish, I think I should replace the UHF antenna the Installer installed with a combination UHF/VHF antenna. At the moment the cable from the UHF antenna is combined with the cable from the LNB at the top and a preamp cable intersects in a multiswitch, which is on the outside of the house (near the ground).

I’m suspicious of using multiple amplification points. That is, the VOOM receiver is amplifying (to the LNB) and the preamp is amplifying to the UHF antenna. Presumably the multiswitch is managing the merge, but I’m unsure if this is an optimal configuration for power of coax.

I suspect there’s a further cable related complication. I understand that RG6 is preferable for high frequencies and RG59 for lower frequencies (such as VHF). Although RG6 and RG59 cables are usually interchangeable, problems can/will arise if signal strength isn’t adequate to overcome noise. The cable the installer used isn’t stamped with either standard. It’s stamped with “UL or C(UL) E236426 CMX 18 AMG COAXIAL CABLE 60% BRAID APPLIED TELECOM MODEL: A660-1USCX 29-11-2004 0292FT” which I can’t identify, but I’d guess it’s an RG6 equivalent though.

As the VOOM receiver has 2 inputs—UHF and Satellite—any VHF signals on an inbound cable wouldn’t be recognized or accepted and if I split the cable before it reaches the diplexer on the back of the VOOM receiver and connect one leg to a VCR I’ll be able to send VHF signals (via the VCR output) to an antenna input on an LCD monitor. Kludgey ,right? But I think it should work. Now, by switching between sources on the monitor, I’d be able to see UHF/VHF channels and VOOM.

I’m somewhat at a loss as to which UHF/VHF (pre) amplified antenna to use as I believe I need max gain or signal strength and my wife doesn’t want to see anything on the side of a chimney that might cause the neighbors to conclude that I’ve finally flipped and am trying to reach a spaceship. Sure wish TV over IP over WiMAX was deliverable.

Hope to hear from a few gurus with suggestions to optimize a configuration to meet my needs :rolleyes:
Thanks in advance

Colin West

OTA Antenna Forum

Hi Colin - sounds like you've got it pretty much nailed.

I continue to suggest for those with OTA antenna questions to visit the Antenna forum at the HomeTheaterSpot. There are a couple of real antenna gurus over there that have helped lots of folks work through specific technical situations as well as good advice on antenna selection based upon their location.

If you're up to it, pay them a visit and see what you think.

http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsthreads/postlist.php/Cat/0/Board/UBB55

As far as your coax goes, it sounds like RG6 with the key being the "18" which is probably short for 18 gage core. I believe RG59 is 20 gage.

I split my antenna feed as you indicate and use my TV for analog UHF/VHF broadcasts and the Voom STB for ATSC.

Good luck,

Doug

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)