Combining 2 signals: 1 OTA and 1 modulator output of receiver

Jmartz

Original poster
Feb 24, 2014
Iowa
I'm wanting to combine the modulator output of my Dish VIP722K receiver with the OTA signal from my antenna so that both signals are available to all TV's in the house. I've tried a basic splitter-combiner but it doesn't seem to work that well. Very poor picture quality. Is there something special that you would recommend that I use for this?

Thanks!

I'm wanting to combine the modulator output of my Dish VIP722K receiver with the OTA signal from my antenna so that both signals are available to all TV's in the house. I've tried a basic splitter-combiner but it doesn't seem to work that well. Very poor picture quality. Is there something special that you would recommend that I use for this?

Thanks!
What channel is the 722 outputting? Where do you live so we can look up what channels are active in your area?

yep changing the output channel of the 722 can make a huge difference. I use channels 40 and 50 for TV1 and TV 2. I have a very good picture mixed with my digital OTA stations now. Before channel 60 would get a lot of interference from a radio station.

yep changing the output channel of the 722 can make a huge difference. I use channels 40 and 50 for TV1 and TV 2. I have a very good picture mixed with my digital OTA stations now. Before channel 60 would get a lot of interference from a radio station.
So how did you, or what did you use to combine the two signals?

TV2 is on 60 and TV1 is 67.

Using a splitter in reverse will work fine, you just need to change the output of the modulated channels to ones that will work in your area. Try some that are under 52. LTE cell service is all over the old channels above 51. Try to leave one channel between any of your locals and your modulated channels (i.e. if your local Fox is using 39, try using 41 for your modulated output.

Using a splitter in reverse will work fine, you just need to change the output of the modulated channels to ones that will work in your area. Try some that are under 52. LTE cell service is all over the old channels above 51. Try to leave one channel between any of your locals and your modulated channels (i.e. if your local Fox is using 39, try using 41 for your modulated output.

Thank you, I'll try that.

Thank you, I'll try that.
You also may need to add an amplifier if you want to combine 60 & 67 with the OTA channels you will need at least a 3 way splitter in reverse that means the output is about 1/4th the input signal. If the signal was weak going in it will be extremely weak going out.

You also may need to add an amplifier if you want to combine 60 & 67 with the OTA channels you will need at least a 3 way splitter in reverse that means the output is about 1/4th the input signal. If the signal was weak going in it will be extremely weak going out.

I have an amplifier, should that be inline after the signals are combined to boost it going out to the rest of the house?

The amplifier should be on the OTA line before it enters the combiner. The modulated output from the 722K will have plenty power to push through several splitters if necessary. Both TV1 and TV2 will be together from the output of the 722K, so you would use a 2-way splitter to combine into one line. After that point you could split as many ways as necessary to your different TV locations. For me I split into two lines, one to the kitchen and one to the bedroom. This gives me TV1 and TV2 (SD of course) and OTA at both remote TV’s.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts