Combining agile modulated signal with cable modem internet signal

parigeet1

Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Hi,

I was just wondering if there was any simple way to combining agile modulated signal from dish dual tuner STB & the cable modem internet signal from the cable company.

Basically due to the limited number of coax cables running in my house, I would like to take the agile modulated signal from the dish STB (channel 73) after the diplexer & connect it to the same coax cable (using a splitter) on which i currently have the internet signal from the cable company. At the other end of this cable i would split it into 2, one going into the cable modem & the other going into the TV.

Do you guys think that this is possible. From the limited knowledge I have, it seems therotically possible, since the cable company also sends both the video & the internet channels on the same coax cable.

Has anybody done this successfully? Any help will be appreciated.

In theory, yes it's possible but the frequencies might interfere with each other. You will need a pair of splitters to do this, one at each end.

Can you get to your cable modem diagnostics page? You could look at your frequencies for your upload and download path. Usually it's found at http://192.168.100.1 and look for the frequencies. In my case, it's 705.250 Mhz for download and 21.6 Mhz for upload so I need to stay away from 705.25 Mhz if I were to combine them.

CATV channel 73 is on 517.25 Mhz

Thanks for the replies...
I just checked my cable modem
The upstream freq is 579Mhz & downstream is 22.8Mhz.

Looks like that the upstream freq is quite close to CATV73 that the dish STB is using for the remote TV. I guess i'll have to change the freq to something higher. Is this something that can be done using the dish setup menu?

Thanks Randall ...actually i did it before reading your message. I set it to 125. Its working...both the TV2 signal as well as the cable modem signal.
Interestingly i noticed that even though i am not subscribing to the Cable TV channels (i subsribe only broadband) i am getting all cable chanells too. So now I have the broadband internet , the CATV channels and the dish TV2 channel all combined into one cable.
BTW, is there any advantage of choosing chanel 93 or 103 over 125? or should i just leave it as 125?

Also is there a 3 way splitter with some passive amplification that you guys recommend that i can use to distribute this combined signal to other rooms in the house.

"BTW, is there any advantage of choosing chanel 93 or 103 over 125? or should i just leave it as 125?"

Not really. Just sharing my experience. For some reason I got the best quality on 73, 83, 93 and 103 on CATV, the others looked really bad. Must be my TV tuner.

Glad you got it working!

you are quite possibly broadcasting the output of your dish receiver to other tv's in the neighborhood.

Really? I don't mind it :D ...My neighbors can tune into channel 125 and watch what ever I am watching...

Thanks for all the help...One last question though
Any recommendation for a splitter/amplifier that i can use to boost the combined signal?

Goosh, I missed that. Pepper is correct. You could be backfeeding TV2 to your cable system and that's against FCC rules. They might or they might not notice it. There are some notch filters that will block an specific channel or channels.

Something like this:

http://www.smarthome.com/7822G.HTML

http://www.smarthome.com/7822f.html

As far as a splitter with amplification. I've seen some but you need a power inserter for those. This is a four ports splitter with built-in amp:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ELECTROLINE-4-P...0153847QQihZ007QQcategoryZ39803QQcmdZViewItem

Hi,

I was just wondering if there was any simple way to combining agile modulated signal from dish dual tuner STB & the cable modem internet signal from the cable company.

Basically due to the limited number of coax cables running in my house, I would like to take the agile modulated signal from the dish STB (channel 73) after the diplexer & connect it to the same coax cable (using a splitter) on which i currently have the internet signal from the cable company. At the other end of this cable i would split it into 2, one going into the cable modem & the other going into the TV.

Do you guys think that this is possible. From the limited knowledge I have, it seems therotically possible, since the cable company also sends both the video & the internet channels on the same coax cable.

Has anybody done this successfully? Any help will be appreciated.

I did this once at my house a couple of years back, but it's difficult, and the PQ kinda suffers. I had to use two cable company HSI (high speed internet) traps in series, and combine the TV2 output on the same line. The traps filtered out all signal except the internet. After the traps I combined the TV2 signal on AIR 21. It worked pretty well, but that was about the only channel I could reliably use. YMMV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)