Combining OTA and the SAT OUT from a VIP622; is it possible??

chilidipper2002

Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
Birmingham AL
This may be a tough one.

I have a new HDTV for the bedroom and trying to combine an OTA antennae (for local HD channels) and the coaxial cable from the SAT OUT or Home Distribution port out of the back of my D* VIP622 receiver (for satellite) that primarily serves the old HDTV in the Family Room. Actually to complicate matters, I have want to combine the above (OTA antennae and the coaxial cable from the Home Distribution port out of the back of my D* VIP622 receiver) to a splitter that serve multiple tv's.

I bought a diplexer from Radio Shack that is rated from 5-2150 mHz and DC Pass, I thought this would do it, but when I hooked up the antennae and cable from the SAT OUT VIP622 to the new HDTV the SAT side was dead and OTA worked. When I switched the ANT and SAT, I got the opposite to work.

I thought about using the diplexer ouside, before the signal comes into the D* multiswitch, but the VIP622 outputs downgraded STV and I will not get my local channels in HD.

I am trying to get HD OTA in to that new HDTV and a satellite signal into the only cable jack on the new HDTV is my goal, any thoughts.

Don't use a diplexer. Use a regular splitter in reverse. You will actually need two. One hooked up the regular way with the antenna connected to the "in" and one "out" to the receiver, one "out" to one of the "outs" on the other splitter. Connect the TV2 out from the receiver to the other "out" on the splitter and connect the "in" on the splitter to the second tv.

Do as the previous poster said and just combine the OTA and the Dish Out into a standard splitter.

Find out what frequencies the HD channels are broadcasting at (they are usually NOT at the old frequency, even though your guide probably keeps the old channel number so as to minimize confusion) Then go to Menu / 6 / 1 / 5 and pick a channel (select 'Air') that is far away from those active channels as you can get.

Run your TV's 'auto program' to include both Analog and Digital.

? for NickG

In your answer to me you have 2 lines going to the same device, the receiver. I am quoting what you said as follows, " "out" to the receiver " & " Connect the TV2 out from the receiver ". I guess I am not following you, can you try to restate what you are trying to tell me?

When I drew out what you said I couldn't make sense of it. Sorry and thanks for the help in advance.

I connect the outputs of two 722s and the antenna (OTA) to a 3-to-1, plain splitter/combiner.

The combined signal goes to an 10dB, 4-output amplifier--to amplify the antenna pointed to the 48-mile-away LOS towers. Two of those outputs go to the 722 antenna inputs, one goes to the TV, and the last is further split to go to a DVD+R (analog OTA only for the next few weeks), and a second TV, and another is SAT-OTA joined with a dish signal to send to a distant room where it SAT-OTA split for that TV.

Makes a real rat's nest with all the phone, Internet, HDMI, component, and composite cables added it. (In theory, the 722s feed out a small signal to the antenna but other houses are far away.) The SAT-OTA bandpass splitter is the one with DC pass on the SAT side to control the LNB switch for the third 622 receiver. The two local 722 receivers get their SAT signals directly from the switch--well one on them has the power inserter for the DPP44 switch.

Yes, it looks like a loop but the OTA/ATSC signal goes into the receivers and the receiver outputs are NTSC to other tuners.

-Ken

chillidipper!! love that handle by the way...

it looks like this:

A..............C
\_________/
/..............\
B..............D

A is the OTA antenna
B is the TV out from the 622

C is the ANT in of TV 1
D is the ANT in of TV 2

On TV 1 and 2 you would tune to your normal OTA stations 'like normal' To watch the 622 you would just tune to whatever channel it is set to output on. Usually 3. If you have an OTA channel 3 then you would need to change the 622 to output to a different channel.

Hope the 'skecth' comes through okay. Ignore the .............. (periods) they are there only to make the letters show up in the right places

OP, I ran into the same problem when I wanted to run my OTA to my bedroom TV. I was going to split my OTA behind my 622 in the living room and combine it with Sat2 out and resplit it at the bedroom TV. It was a giant headache and decidided not to go through with it.

Rather, I split the OTA when it came into the house and ran a seperate line to my bedroom. My basement is not finished so this was much easier.

Good luck with figuring out the diplexing, splitting, combining, it's a mess.

pfan

...To watch the 622 you would just tune to whatever channel it is set to output on. Usually 3. If you have an OTA channel 3 then you would need to change the 622 to output to a different channel....
The 622/722 outputs on UHF Air channels 21 to 69. 501 and the like output on VHF 3 or 4.

-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts