Combining Tuner 1 & 2 Signals on 722...

I'm sure you meant "The TV1 WILL be set to UHF mode."

Randall,

I use my old 6.0 UHF from the 522 for my 622 TV2 and it works fine. Then I got the spare 6.3 UHF remote from The DishStore.net for 19.95 + 10 shipping that includes all the "colored number chips" to do everything.

Thanks, that's the answer I was looking for. So far I figured this much, the remote for TV2 that comes with the 622 and 722 receivers is 6.3 UHF so you can use that one for TV1 UHF and then buy a 6.2 or 6.0 for TV2 or the 6.3 but the 6.0 and 6.2 are cheaper and easier to find.

Thanks, that's the answer I was looking for. So far I figured this much, the remote for TV2 that comes with the 622 and 722 receivers is 6.3 UHF so you can use that one for TV1 UHF and then buy a 6.2 or 6.0 for TV2 or the 6.3 but the 6.0 and 6.2 are cheaper and easier to find.
Sounds right. The only issue is getting the microswitches set right without the sack of "color channel chips".

I tried taking the green chip out of the IR remote from the 522 and it busted it off because it seems it was glued in. The remote still works for IR TV though.

My .02: 30 bucks for a new 6.3 and chips is a good deal and you can never have too many remotes(?).

With 622/722/942, The 6.0 remotes will only work for TV2 and only if you aren't using "Band B" on your 6.2/6.3 remotes for TV2. Additional 6.2/6.3 remotes can be configured for any available IR or UHF-Pro setting for TV1 or UHF-Pro for TV2.

A 5.0/5.3 TV1 remote will only work IR and only for TV1, the green "1" tab is not removeable.

"With 622/722/942, The 6.0 remotes will only work for TV2 and only if you aren't using "Band B" on your 6.2/6.3 remotes for TV2. Additional 6.2/6.3 remotes can be configured for any available IR or UHF-Pro setting for TV1 or UHF-Pro for TV2."

Pepper,

Not correcting you or anything, just want to make sure I got it right.

By default the 622 and 722 receiver use Band A so a 6.0 should work fine for TV2 unless the user changed it to Band B, right?

A 6.2 remote will work for TV1 in UHF if either you set the switch inside and don't put the tab back or get the TV1 UHF green tab, correct?

With all of that....I would just add another receiver and get the best overall AV quality that you can get. Don't skimp...

By default the 622 and 722 receiver use Band A so a 6.0 should work fine for TV2 unless the user changed it to Band B, right?

A 6.2 remote will work for TV1 in UHF if either you set the switch inside and don't put the tab back or get the TV1 UHF green tab, correct?
Exactly 100% correct. :)

And that PDF you found sums it up nicely. Just read "ViP622" or "ViP722" wherever you see it mention "DVR 942".

OK, I've been reading this thread and have gotten myself confused.
I have a 722 and OTA for local HD channels. I feed composite video and fiber optic audio from the 722 into my A/V system and then composite out to the TV. Remote control 1 works this TV, the DVD, A/V receiver and 722.

I connected the old comcast cable that went to that TV into the HOUSEHOLD connector on the 722 and that feeds the sat signal out to every other TV in the house. The number 2 remote works on any of these TV's. Granted you can only program that remote to work one particular TV so it is set to the second TVZ that is used the most. On the others, you have to turn them on with the old TV remote but you can change Sat channels with remote 2.

So far the only reason I have found to change from Dual to Single mode is if you want to watch the same sat channel on both TV's. That never happens so I just leave it on Dual. I still record multiple shows.

What am I missing here?

Right now you can distribute TV2 to any TV in your house. What we're talking here is distributing TV1 also to your house and for that you need to turn it on in your receiver and to control TV1 you need a 6.2 or 6.3 remote control.

Don't blame you for being confused. :)

Thanks Randall -
But why would someone want to send TV1 around the house? TV1 and TV2 have the exact same content EXCEPT HD. Is that what they are trying to do? Send Sat HD signals out to other HD TV's? If so, then I totally understand the issue.

Thanks Randall -
But why would someone want to send TV1 around the house? TV1 and TV2 have the exact same content EXCEPT HD. Is that what they are trying to do? Send Sat HD signals out to other HD TV's? If so, then I totally understand the issue.

My original post was so that we could watch OTA channels on a SD tv (which as I think of it, I am not sure if it will work) or watch what we normally watch on the front room TV by the fire place. We are simply wanting to duplicate that feed so we don't have to rearrange furniture to watch TV by the fireplace.

Our motivation for doing TV1 is that we record shows on both tuner 1 and 2 a lot and want to watch either if possible. Hope that helps explain our motive for wanting to know. We are really pleased with the idea we have in our minds about it. Just need to hook the tv up after we get it all cleaned up.

Geoff

----Our motivation for doing TV1 is that we record shows on both tuner 1 and 2 a lot and want to watch either if possible.

I just upgraded to this 722 from a 921 so I'm learning too. If I say something wrong, please let me know.

If I'm not mistaken, I think there is confusion between TV1, TV2 and the 2 tuners. I always record from my main HD TV. You don't record ON, but rather FROM the 2 tuners (and/or the OTA tuner) to the disk and they have no connection to one TV or the other. I'm able to watch all my recordings on either TV since they are just recordings on the dish.

The only connection I can see is that if you have a 2nd TV on, it is using one of the tuners and the main TV is using another. So in that case, you couldn't watch one show and record another on the main TV UNLESS you turn off the other TV to free up the 2nd tuner. I was told I could watch an OTA channel (from the OTA tuner) and record 2 sat channels (one from each sat tuner) but I haven't tried it.

I think I have figured out that to watch a different channel on both TV's, I have to have the receiver in Dual Mode. Single Mode sends the same channel to both TV's.

NOW to try and figure out what Record Plus is.

----Our motivation for doing TV1 is that we record shows on both tuner 1 and 2 a lot and want to watch either if possible.

I just upgraded to this 722 from a 921 so I'm learning too. If I say something wrong, please let me know.

If I'm not mistaken, I think there is confusion between TV1, TV2 and the 2 tuners. I always record from my main HD TV. You don't record ON, but rather FROM the 2 tuners (and/or the OTA tuner) to the disk and they have no connection to one TV or the other. I'm able to watch all my recordings on either TV since they are just recordings on the dish.

The only connection I can see is that if you have a 2nd TV on, it is using one of the tuners and the main TV is using another. So in that case, you couldn't watch one show and record another on the main TV UNLESS you turn off the other TV to free up the 2nd tuner. I was told I could watch an OTA channel (from the OTA tuner) and record 2 sat channels (one from each sat tuner) but I haven't tried it.

I think I have figured out that to watch a different channel on both TV's, I have to have the receiver in Dual Mode. Single Mode sends the same channel to both TV's.

NOW to try and figure out what Record Plus is.
We leave our 722 in Dual Mode all the time. We do this so we don't have to move remotes around and for the convenience of having everyone understand what is playing on the tv (if you can see it, you can watch it, unless it says something is recording when you try to change it). There are 4 adults in our house and 2 children. By leaving it in Dual Mode, our Tuner 2 is always in the Master Bedroom, and Tuner 1 is always in the Front Room. Therefore, you are correct that we record ON tuners, but because we use Dual Mode, we are also recording on that TV. The only way around watching what is recording would be to watch something on the drive.

You are also correct that once a program is recording either TV can view it. When we have something recorded we use whichever we are at. As for using OTA and both Tuners we do it frequently. In fact, there are many times where we have one program recording OTA and 2 programs recording from the SAT Tuners.

As for Record Plus, my understanding is that Record Plus allows you to set the Tuners to have a "Default Tuner" for recording. For instance, if you turn it on and set Tuner 2 as the default, when a program is programmed to record, it will use Tuner 2. If tuner 2 is in use, it would then record from Tuner 1. With our setup in our house, we use all the TVs frequently, so we leave Record Plus off so that what is recording on a tuner can be seen on that TV (makes it so I don't have to watch the garbage my brother is recording and he doesn't have to watch the garbage I am recording).

Geoff

Update on what we have done...

Hi all,

Just wanted to update everyone on what we decided to do and how it works. For those that need refreshing on our question, here goes: we wanted to combine signals on our 722 into one cable and send it to a third television (in our fireplace room) so we can watch tv and the fire.

After starting this thread (and getting tons of helpful information on how to go about doing it), we decided to use some splitters to combine the signals from our 722 and 625. We have all 4 tuners (2 from 722 and 2 from 625) going to 5 different tv's using channels 4, 73, 75, and 85. The picture quality on most of the tv's is really good (we have one splitter that we think needs to be replaced as switching the other older splitter made most channels look great). We have been viewing different channels on all 5 tv's.

Thanks to everyone who contributed input to make this possible,
Geoff

OK, I've been reading this thread and have gotten myself confused.
I have a 722 and OTA for local HD channels. I feed composite video and fiber optic audio from the 722 into my A/V system and then composite out to the TV. Remote control 1 works this TV, the DVD, A/V receiver and 722.
I connected the old comcast cable that went to that TV into the HOUSEHOLD connector on the 722 and that feeds the sat signal out to every other TV in the house. The number 2 remote works on any of these TV's. Granted you can only program that remote to work one particular TV so it is set to the second TVZ that is used the most. On the others, you have to turn them on with the old TV remote but you can change Sat channels with remote 2.

So far the only reason I have found to change from Dual to Single mode is if you want to watch the same sat channel on both TV's. That never happens so I just leave it on Dual. I still record multiple shows.

What am I missing here?

High-Definition