Combining TV2/TiVo signals onto one coax

MauiBoy

Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Does anyone know if it's possible to combine the following outputs on to one RG6U/QS coax cable to go to another TV:

Dish 322 TV 2 RF output (Channel 73)
Dish 522 TV 2 RF output (Channel 60)
TiVo RF output (Channel 3)

I would like to combine all those, so I can watch any of the three on a TV with one coax cable going to it (change channels with RF remote(s)). Seems like they wouldn't cause interference, as they're all outputting a different channel.

Also, would I do this with a couple of splitters turned around backwards (into "combiners") or with a couple of diplexers?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi MauiBoy, welcome to the site. :)

To see a plan like yours taken to the extreme, check out my setup (link in my signature). :D

For your setup, you might start with the simplest case, a 3-way splitter connected in reverse. A slightly more complicated, but in my opinion more "correct", setup would be to use a two-way splitter in reverse to tie the two Dish Network outputs together, and feed that to a 3-band combiner like what I'm using.

Whatever you do, be careful if you want to incorporate an antenna or cable line.

Right - diplexers are NOT the answer. They are a different device - used to combine VHF/UHF (0-900MHz) and satellite (950MHz and above) on the same cable.

Be sure to read the labels on your splitters - many of them have different levels of attenuation on the different ports. From strongest to weakest given your equipment is 60, 73, 3. So, but chennel 60 on the port with the most attenuation. I'm NOT saying that's gonna work, but it's your best chance if you have that kind of splitter.

Well First of you can't dp Channel 60 and 73. You would be sending and Air or Antenna type signal on 60 and a cable type signal on 73. You would need to do something like 3, 21, and 60. Or you would have to do 3, 73, 98. Your TV won't pick up both Air and Cable signals at the same time.

On the other hand I do this all the time. Would send 3, 21, and 60 into a 3 way splitter, then send that to the TV. If you are only going to send it to the 1 TV I would use the attenuation connectors that are with the receivers. If you are then going to split it back out to several TV's then don't.

Get a 3 channel modulator and come off the line outputs if they are available.

A separate modulator gives MUCH BETTER quality than the built-in output, but that signal can then be combined back together using a splitter backwards just fine. I have been doing that for 8 years or so. :)

Brad

I combine the outputs of my 522 on channel 40, and my 322 on channel 60, using a simple splitter, and then split the output to go to 3 seperate TVs. It works great for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)