Comcast Cable Internet

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
Does anyone here from Plano/surrounding areas have Comcast Internet? If so how is the service and what are the speeds that you get?

Sorry to be off topic Jason but it is a national net so my info may or may not help you. I have a comcast cable modem in Loveland, CO and it is great. When they had "national outages" over the last few months I barely noticed other than once. I get around 500KBps so it is a good stretch faster than DSL by about 3 times in a 1.5Mbps DSL. I opted for cable because DSL was to slow to pull linux distros.

On the upside of DSL ... you own the circuit. Cable modems are plagued in some areas, I doubt your is one of them, where too many users have the network saturated and no one gets top speeds. Comcast specifically has corrected a bit of this in their switching scheme.

Ive had Comcast cable internet for a few months now. I switched when Verizon screwed up my DSL and couldnt figure out how to fix it. I have only had a couple of small outages. I think the longest one was for about 30 mins. I consistantly get 4-5Mb/s.

Im happy Verizon screwed up as Im very happy with my Comcast service. Of course, my neighborhood is already wired for FIOS, so I will probably have both for a while once they light up the fiber.

As long as I'm going Comcast a try (vs. D*) I also decide to try their internet service (again, first two experinces not very good). So far almost two months and no outages. I signed up at BestBuy and got the modem for free (after rebate) a $70 BB gift card, something else that was worth $20 (don't remember) and $19.99/month for six months onthe price of the service. After installed upgraded to the gold tier 6M/768Kbps for an extra $10/month, seeing upper 5Mb on the download and around 710/720Kbps on the upload. I do see ping times to sites I know vary more then on my SBC DSL service, they're normally around 45ms but I see them go up to 75ms to 80ms during 'peak' times. I'm also using the service for my Vonage connection and it's OK also. Hope that helps. Still waiting for D* to make their announcement for HD so I can decide on D*/SBC or Comcast

Well, FIOS is already available in Wylie at my moms, where I have been staying for the past 3 weeks. She has FIOS and it rocks!! I know it's available in Plano, but I don't know about apartments though. :(

Does anyone know if Comcast is running a HSI special? I can't find anything on their website but I have seen TV ads for a special, just can't recall what it is.

Call them. I got a totally different price and quicker install date than their website showed when I got my cable modem several months ago.

You might also want to check via the BestBuy web site. A few weeks ago I got the modem for free (after rebate) and a $70 BB gift card.

Man, this sucks. I just called to order the service and was told that the earliest they could have someone come out is Sunday the 17th. I own my own modem, and can plug everything in myself, but they want to send someone out to test it. Oh, and I have to pay for a $10 self install kit because they cannot register a new modem over the phone. The guy on the phone threatened me saying if I didn't agree to pay it then they would not hook up the internet for me. Both Insight and Cox can register a new modem just like that on the phone, and Cox didnt' have to send a tech out, I was able to just hook it up.

At least I'm getting their special for $29.99 a month but I have to pay for $12 a month basic cable. At least it's cheaper than their normal $52.99 a month for non cable sub rate.

Do you have cable TV service now from Comcast? If not then they do require someone to come out. If you do have it I don't know what their problem is. When I got my stuff from BB I took it home, didn't even have the self install kit, called and ordered service, gave them the MAC address of the modem and they turned it on. First time I went to a site their DNS redirect to me to registration site, got e-mail address/PW and that was that, 10 minutes.

I don't have their service now, but I'm getting basic cable for $12.99 a month since I have to have that in order to get their special of $29.99 for 12 months on the cable internet.

The apartment had service before. I can understand having to have someone come out to make sure the outlets and all are working. I do not understand having to pay $10 for a damn self install kit when all I need to do is hook up the cable modem and call in my MAC address. I will not be installing the damn CD on my PC, as I did that before for Insight a few years back and it crashed my PC.

Neutron said:
I do not understand having to pay $10 for a damn self install kit when all I need to do is hook up the cable modem and call in my MAC address.

It's just like the STB mirroring fee or PVR fee, because they can. On the software, try just going to a web site and see if you get the registration page. What I've seen posted in other places is that Comcast is starting to use that process to get registered for e-mail and such so you don't need the CD software. Good luck!

Schedule it for the 17th. Then call every day and ask if they have had any cancellations? I called on a Thursday and they scheduled my install for the following Tuesday. I called Friday afternoon and they said they could move me to Monday morning. I called again later that day and they scheduled me for Sunday.

Call the local Plano office, they can be more flexible. I dont have the number, but I think its on Summit or Plano Rd.

I just tried. I had to explain to the CSR that the phone number I gave them is my out of state cell phone number (which will be changing soon).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)