Comcast deemed not at fault by Indianapolis PD

Do you know how cell phones work?..they connect to land line trunks similar to the one Comcast was working on

Sent from my SM-G920V using the SatelliteGuys app!
Nice try.
I was merely pointing out the fact that more people than not are dropping their land line and digital tel service in lieu of wireless.
So let me know when you want to crash your car because some cable guy who created a major traffic hazard because he "was just doing his job"....
I'm not implying the crew did not have the right to be there to perform their work. I am stating that they should have taken additional precautions due to the adverse weather and road conditions.
This was no time to be citing OSHA minimum regulations and company rules.
As a company acting as a public utility for phone access only, they should have taken the time to ensure the safety of the public.
They did not. IMO the judge in this case had interpreted the laws differently.
I'm not arguing. Just presenting another point of view.
There will be insurance claims. There will be subrogation actions against Comcast. That despite the judge's opinion. There will be lawsuits against Comcast which they WILL to avaoid costly legal fees, settle with the plaintiffs.
Unfortunately this is how the civil system works.

Nice try.
I was merely pointing out the fact that more people than not are dropping their land line and digital tel service in lieu of wireless.
So let me know when you want to crash your car because some cable guy who created a major traffic hazard because he "was just doing his job"....
I'm not implying the crew did not have the right to be there to perform their work. I am stating that they should have taken additional precautions due to the adverse weather and road conditions.
This was no time to be citing OSHA minimum regulations and company rules.
As a company acting as a public utility for phone access only, they should have taken the time to ensure the safety of the public.
They did not. IMO the judge in this case had interpreted the laws differently.
I'm not arguing. Just presenting another point of view.
There will be insurance claims. There will be subrogation actions against Comcast. That despite the judge's opinion. There will be lawsuits against Comcast which they WILL to avaoid costly legal fees, settle with the plaintiffs.
Unfortunately this is how the civil system works.
He can't abandon without permission..do you have a job?..ask your boss what he thinks

Are they supposed to walk off the job?..get fired?..they did nothing wrong..they followed the rules..no charges filed..just a bunch of clueless snowflakes who don't know how to drive..people who can't take personal responsibility for their own actions..always have to blame someone or something else for their own misfortune because they can't drive in the snow

Just a minute. So, you are driving 15 or 20 mph in the snow. You crest a hill and notice that about 400 feet away your travel lane is blocked. You apply the brakes, due to the ice and snow, your ability to control the vehicle is compromised. You crash.
In the video this was the majority of the cases. Slow slide down the hill. Now, there were those driving too fast for conditions. No one is considering them. They are at fault..
Forget the minimum standards. These do not apply hazardous weather and road conditions. Additional precautions should have been made.
The job? The job can wait until the hazard has been mitigated. All that needed to be done was to either place a flag man at the top of the hill and one just beyond the service vehicles. They could have asked the police to block off the road until the repairs were completed. They could have asked the city road department to send a truck to treat the road surface.
No, these guys who were concerned only with themselves, did nothing but cite OSHA regulations and use snarky responses to the concerned.. People were placed in harms way. Including themselves. Suppose there was a serious injury or heaven forbid a fatality? Would you have the same cavalier attitude? Suppose it were one of your loved ones?
Lemme tell ya something, I HATE the litigiousness of our society. People suing because their neighbor smokes cigars on his front porch. Stupid crap like that.
My take on this was the situation and the existing hazards called for more precautions than just the standard. If were their boss, I would have fired them for doing their job in the manner in which they did it. It was in my opinion inadequate.

Just a minute. So, you are driving 15 or 20 mph in the snow. You crest a hill and notice that about 400 feet away your travel lane is blocked. You apply the brakes, due to the ice and snow, your ability to control the vehicle is compromised. You crash.
In the video this was the majority of the cases. Slow slide down the hill. Now, there were those driving too fast for conditions. No one is considering them. They are at fault..
Forget the minimum standards. These do not apply hazardous weather and road conditions. Additional precautions should have been made.
The job? The job can wait until the hazard has been mitigated. All that needed to be done was to either place a flag man at the top of the hill and one just beyond the service vehicles. They could have asked the police to block off the road until the repairs were completed. They could have asked the city road department to send a truck to treat the road surface.
No, these guys who were concerned only with themselves, did nothing but cite OSHA regulations and use snarky responses to the concerned.. People were placed in harms way. Including themselves. Suppose there was a serious injury or heaven forbid a fatality? Would you have the same cavalier attitude? Suppose it were one of your loved ones?
Lemme tell ya something, I HATE the litigiousness of our society. People suing because their neighbor smokes cigars on his front porch. Stupid crap like that.
My take on this was the situation and the existing hazards called for more precautions than just the standard. If were their boss, I would have fired them for doing their job in the manner in which they did it. It was in my opinion inadequate.
I guess you never worked for a utility..that's how it is
.besides police said they were aok

He can't abandon without permission..do you have a job?..ask your boss what he thinks

Who said anything about "abandoning" the job. I neither stated nor implied that.
I just got through stating this was not an argument, but me merely stating a point of view.
What part of that did you not understand?
No, I don't have a job. I am self employed. And my boss thinks that for this instance the standard precautions were inadequate. My boss says he recommends additional safety precautions would be warranted and he would have backed me up on that point.

Who said anything about "abandoning" the job. I neither stated nor implied that.
I just got through stating this was not an argument, but me merely stating a point of view.
What part of that did you not understand?
No, I don't have a job. I am self employed. And my boss thinks that for this instance the standard precautions were inadequate. My boss says he recommends additional safety precautions would be warranted and he would have backed me up on that point.
That's cool
.would you feel the same way if it was a Telco or power company truck?

I guess you never worked for a utility..that's how it is
.besides police said they were aok

Yeah. The cops said that because they have political and liability concerns as well.
"you didn't ask" .....Think about THAT. What would you think if I stated if the police were asked to provide a patrol car to assist, they would have obliged?
BTW, the police have no say here. That's why we have legal professionals.
Remember this. In the story the Comcast spokesperson stated their internal investigation into the matter is not complete.
My guess is that Comcast thinks that because the local PD rendered an opinion siding with the company that it come as no surprise that both those techs are no longer with the company. They were probably offered an opportunity to self terminate with some kind of severance package with the stipulation that they were not to engage an attorney in any action against the Company, nor were they to engage any plaintiff's attorney or testify in a deposition or trial as a witness against the company...
Again, that is a guess. If you think this scenario has never played out before, think again.
It is my opinion, that those two techs are not going to get through this unscathed. JMHO....

Yeah. The cops said that because they have political and liability concerns as well.
"you didn't ask" .....Think about THAT. What would you think if I stated if the police were asked to provide a patrol car to assist, they would have obliged?
BTW, the police have no say here. That's why we have legal professionals.
Remember this. In the story the Comcast spokesperson stated their internal investigation into the matter is not complete.
My guess is that Comcast thinks that because the local PD rendered an opinion siding with the company that it come as no surprise that both those techs are no longer with the company. They were probably offered an opportunity to self terminate with some kind of severance package with the stipulation that they were not to engage an attorney in any action against the Company, nor were they to engage any plaintiff's attorney or testify in a deposition or trial as a witness against the company...
Again, that is a guess. If you think this scenario has never played out before, think again.
It is my opinion, that those two techs are not going to get through this unscathed. JMHO....
They have to do what their boss wants them to do..they can't walk away from a a job without consequences..your world is different than theirs..

That's cool
.would you feel the same way if it was a Telco or power company truck?

yes. Absolutely. Safety is safety.
The way I see it is if a company is occupying a public roadway, they owe it to the public to ensure reasonable and proper safety precautions proportionate to the conditions at hand are taken.
For example. Road crews, landscape companies performing work for the municipality or state, always use flag people to control traffic. Same goes for power companies working on cables overhead. The telcos ( AT&T or Windstream) do so as well....As does Spectrum( Fmr Time Warner)..
You misunderstand. This is not a "cable thing" where I am adding additional scrutiny due to some perceived anti Comcast thing....Not at all. I guess any personal bias here is the crappy attitude of the Comcast techs. The one guy that arrived later in the video was a a-hole. What he forgets is he as a representative of Comcast should be presenting a professional image while on duty. It should not matter the circumstances. While in uniform performing his duties, he is representing his employer.
if were his manager I would have terminated him or asked for his resignation based on that fact alone.
IN my past occupations as a manager/supervisory person, the workers on my crews represented ME. Just as I acted as a representative for my employer. If my crew or a member of said crew act in a way that cast me in a bad light, that crew member is going to get anything from a stern warning up to either voluntary or involuntary termination.
In other words, you don't ever make me look bad in front of the customer or the general public.

They have to do what their boss wants them to do..they can't walk away from a a job without consequences..your world is different than theirs..

We both do not know the circumstances of any communications between the techs and their supervisors.

yes. Absolutely. Safety is safety.
The way I see it is if a company is occupying a public roadway, they owe it to the public to ensure reasonable and proper safety precautions proportionate to the conditions at hand are taken.
For example. Road crews, landscape companies performing work for the municipality or state, always use flag people to control traffic. Same goes for power companies working on cables overhead. The telcos ( AT&T or Windstream) do so as well....As does Spectrum( Fmr Time Warner)..
You misunderstand. This is not a "cable thing" where I am adding additional scrutiny due to some perceived anti Comcast thing....Not at all. I guess any personal bias here is the crappy attitude of the Comcast techs. The one guy that arrived later in the video was a a-hole. What he forgets is he as a representative of Comcast should be presenting a professional image while on duty. It should not matter the circumstances. While in uniform performing his duties, he is representing his employer.
if were his manager I would have terminated him or asked for his resignation based on that fact alone.
IN my past occupations as a manager/supervisory person, the workers on my crews represented ME. Just as I acted as a representative for my employer. If my crew or a member of said crew act in a way that cast me in a bad light, that crew member is going to get anything from a stern warning up to either voluntary or involuntary termination.
In other words, you don't ever make me look bad in front of the customer or the general public.
You follow the rules
.Comcast did that

The video is making its rounds on Facebook. Pretty shocking video of what happened. They need something similar to road work signs in the future to help prevent this from happening again. I almost hit a fire truck around a blind curve earlier this year and others complained as well that I spoke to not having warning before the turn. Power line went down and had to drive off the road to avoid it.

You apply the brakes, due to the ice and snow, your ability to control the vehicle is compromised. You crash.
The bigger question here is whether or not you really needed to be out driving in such conditions.

Self-importance can be a very dangerous affliction.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)