Comcast, Dish or Direct TV

Directv Seems to be having problems right now, Its actually kind of satisfying to see them complaining for once though. I would wait to see how their viacom thing works out.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, the best for me was most for my money with the lease Bull $hit

You are going to get bull sh*t no matter which company you chose. Witness the Directv/Viacom and Dish/AMC disputes.

Look at the prices, channel line ups, and equipment each offers and make the decision on what best suits your needs. For me that was with Dish, but it could be with Direct or cable for you. No matter what you choose you will be locked in a contract so make sure you know as much as possible BEFORE you sign anything. Forums like this are great for Dish and Direct and I am sure there are places to find out about Comcast in your area as well.

Look at the prices, channel line ups, and equipment each offers and make the decision on what best suits your needs. For me that was with Dish, but it could be with Direct or cable for you. No matter what you choose you will be locked in a contract so make sure you know as much as possible BEFORE you sign anything. Forums like this are great for Dish and Direct and I am sure there are places to find out about Comcast in your area as well.

Clearly you aren't a Yankee fan! :) That's the major reason I chose Directv over Dish, the YES network.

:welcome

Please be aware (if you are not already) that Dish and DirecTV are both having channel disputes. Dish is having a dispute with AMC Networks; the channels dropped due to the dispute are: (1) AMC, (2) IFC, (3) We TV, and (4) Sundance Channel. DirecTV is having a dispute with Viacom; the channels dropped due to the dispute are: (1) Logo, (2) BET [HD], (3) Centric, (4) MTV [HD], (5) MTV 2, (6) Tr3s, (7) MTV India, (8) Nickelodeon [HD], (9) Nickelodeon [West], (10), TV Land. (11) Comedy Central [HD], (12) Nick Jr., (13) Nicktoons, (14) VH1 [HD], (15) VH1 Classic, (16) CMT [HD], (17) Palladia [HD only], (18) Spike TV [HD].

After keeping that in mind, I suggest thinking about the channels that you want to watch and "must have." Please compare channel lineup cards:

Dish: DISH Channels and Programming | DISH TV Guide | MyDISH Customer Support
DirecTV: www.att.com/Common/PDF/DIRECTV_English_Channel_Lineup.pdf

Last edited:
Most people just click "today's posts" or "New Post's". But either way, why you gotta beef? Just help the guy...
I don't have any "beefs", but it seems like you do. I do want to help the guy, I did mention about looking into cable card devices to save fees with cable providers. The OP, didn't really mention what channels or packages he currently has and can't live without, he's just complaining about the price. So it's still a bit hard to give him the right advice. Iceberg did the right thing in combining all of the threads, but the thread could have been left in an area that has more activity.

I got get one, looking for the best.
Thanks
Joe

I haven't gone through all posts.

Did you mention your area of residence? (No street address. Just want to know in which market you live. Who are the available providers?)

I'd recommend based on the following:
1. Programming
2. Price
3. Quality

No. 1 is most important, because getting set up with service -- cable or satellite -- is a commitment of some kind. Getting wired up and/or having a dish installed. So it is necessary to rank this No. 1, because providers do not duplicate each other's lineups. The price is second, because the monthly subscription for programming, and equipment fees, are comparable. But it factors because of whether one is bundling or getting more than one provider for services (video, Internet, phone). Quality comes in third, because any decent provider will have a good picture quality. Many have scrutinized perceived differences in picture quality; but it's hard to figure out for oneself unless you are already viewing it as a customer. (There are fewer public displays of satellite providers in today's stores than when I signed up in the late-1990s.)

IMO I would go with Directv

I wouldn't be so quick as to automatically recommend DirecTV. I have DirecTV, and it is ridiculously far behind on basic cable channels in HD. (The company seemed to be the last to add AMC HD. It is finally adding Turner Classic Movies HD next week!)

I would consider cable. But I find something cheesy about my area companies (more than one) that isn't motivating me to switch. But, again, I wouldn't just say: "Oh, yeah, 'go with DirecTV' because they're just simply the best." (I know -- you didn't phrase it this way.) And part of the reason, besides being ahead on basic cable channels in high def, has to do with On Demand being quickly accessible. (Through satellite operators, one has to download from an Internet connection.)

When choosing a provider, it's really important to personally do the research for oneself. (I can also say for oneself and his family.)

:welcome

Please be aware (if you are not already) that Dish and DirecTV are both having channel disputes. Dish is having a dispute with AMC Networks; the channels dropped due to the dispute are: (1) AMC, (2) IFC, (3) We TV, and (4) Sundance Channel. DirecTV is having a dispute with Viacom; the channels dropped due to the dispute are: (1) Logo, (2) BET [HD], (3) Centric, (4) MTV [HD], (5) MTV 2, (6) Tr3s, (7) MTV India, (8) Nickelodeon [HD], (9) Nickelodeon [West], (10), TV Land. (11) Comedy Central [HD], (12) Nick Jr., (13) Nicktoons, (14) VH1 [HD], (15) VH1 Classic, (16) CMT [HD], (17) Palladia [HD only], (18) Spike TV [HD].

After keeping that in mind, I suggest thinking about the channels that you want to watch and "must have." Please compare channel lineup cards:

Dish: DISH Channels and Programming | DISH TV Guide | MyDISH Customer Support
DirecTV: www.att.com/Common/PDF/DIRECTV_English_Channel_Lineup.pdf
I agree, my cable company has no commitments, not sure about comcast. But if they don't have commitments then try it out first!

Currently, I honestly feel that Dish is usually cheaper especially in terms of base prices. I also find that Dish has several package options. It would also be helpful if you tell us what setup you want or need (ex: how many TVs, care about DVR, care about whole-home, etc.).

Welcome Pack $14.99 (usually not for first-time customers)
Dish Latino Basico $22.99
Family $24.99
Dish Latino Clasico $32.99
Dish America $34.99 "HD-only"
Dish Latino Plus $37.99 [starting package in Dish Latino eligible for HD Free for Life]
America's Top 120 $44.99 [starting package in America's Top eligible for HD Free for Life]
Dish Latino Dos $44.99
America's Top 120 Plus $49.99
Dish America Silver $49.99
Dish Latino Max $57.99
America's Top 200 $59.99
Dish America Gold $59.99
America's Top 250 $69.99
America's "Everything" Pak $104.99

DVR: $6/month

(I was going to post the Dish pricing calculator, but the site seems to be down for some strange reason. Here is the site if it does become available or if it is just not coming up for me: http://commercial.dishnetwork.com/calculator/default.aspx )

DirecTV comes across as being more costly when looking solely at base prices:

Select Classic $41.99 (retention)
Entertainment $54.99
Choice $63.99
Choice Xtra $68.99
Choice Ultimate $74.99
Premier $119.99

DVR: $8/month

Last edited:
I agree, my cable company has no commitments, not sure about comcast. But if they don't have commitments then try it out first!

A good idea if you really want to try out Comcast or if you can bundle without signing a contract or agreeing to a commitment. If you do not like it, you can get rid of it pretty quickly (again, if there is no contract or commitment involved).

Please don't make duplicate threads in different sections....
Sorry, I was trying to reach three groups, Comcast, Dish and Direct TV. If I had Dish I would have no reason to look at Direct TV or Comcast unless I was looking to switch, Like I'm doing.

Iceberg did the right thing in combining all of the threads, but the thread could have been left in an area that has more activity.

so what area would it go in?
The OP is throwing out 3 different options. So a specific area (Dish, Directv, Comcast) isnt the best spot

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)