Comcast DVR Quality?

Purogamer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 19, 2005
Mentor, Ohio
Anyone with a comcast DVR, how are they in general? Then Compare them to tivo (if you can), or E* DVR, D* DVR, etc...

When they merge with adelphia (and turn into adelphia here), will they use their equipment, or adelphia equipment (if anyone knows)?

Just wondering if it would be better to just go with a tivo than a cable-branded DVR...

I would say that what they do, they do well for the most part. But they are extremely limited on what they do.

Here's what I don't get with the DVR that I wish it did:

Searchable guide listings
Favorites list that is useful (ie: only show the guide of the favorites)
Multiple favorites lists
Ability to show the complete description of a show/movie (it's truncated)
16:9 menus

Did I mention SEARCHABLE GUIDE LISTINGS???? Oh, yeah, I think I did. :)

On the positive side, you can hook up an external SATA drive for more storage space, and its only $10 a month. Oh, and you can play BuzzTime Trivia on it.

I've heard a lot of good things about Tivo, but I've never had one. Right now Cable TV is a good deal for me (until June), so I'll put up with the cr*p DVR interface for now. Eventually, I would like to get a 942 or D* HD-DVR box. Both of which sound superior.

-John

Where are you located John? I've read in multiple places that Comcast doesn't support external SATA drives and has actually said that they never will. Do you have a Motorola or SA DVR?

Right now I have the SA8300HD. I've gone thru the diagnostic screens, and the SATA drivers are loaded. I have not personally tried them, but I have read on other forums that it is enabled.

-John

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts