Comcast HD better than DN??

deepmoz

Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
So my parents just got this new kick ass HDTV which now dwarfs what I have, which I used to think was cool. I went over to their house and tried to set up HD over OTA. But, while I was flipping, I noticed some decimal channels and actual HD and DTV feeds coming in. The weird thing about it is that there is no box anywhere to be found. Just a cable through the wall straight to the TV set. Mind you, there isn't any OTA antennas either.

It turns out, all you have to do is call Comcast and have them turn on the HD service, and you don't need any external boxes. For like $10+ a month, you get all HD programming available.

Now while this sounds like a plug for comcast, I have to ask you guys why on earth anyone should stay with Dish Network? I don't mind paying for the monthly HD package with DN, but I have to pay like $600 for a box! I'm getting more and more pissed with DN. Not only do they rip you off, the image quality of their programming is very dissappointiing! What's the point of all these channels if they all look like crap!

In most areas, comcast offers only the "big 4" network HD channels, InHD (a competitor to HDNet), ESPN-HD, Discovery, and in some areas TNT. While not a bad collection of channels, I think that Dish has a better lineup, even without the locals. The InHD channels show endless repeats of the same programming, and very little new content.

With the coming additions by Dish, I'm considering switching back to Dish. There is one really major drawback for me, however...no firewire output. I'm building a decent little collection of D-VHS material, and Comcast is the only option I have for archiving HD content.

So stick with Dish because they will have more HD channels coming in the future? Now what about all the other channels? They look like crap! Why is it that DN non HD channels look so horrible? Also, does anyone forsee any other dish boxes other than the 942? Seems a little pricey w/that $600 price tag.

Well another reason is if you dont have comcast already, and you own the dish equipment that's a lot of money upfront and wasted (could resell maybe on ebay but that's hassle too)
Plus i ran a comparison just yesterday for comcast pricing to match mine for programming and it was about $30 more expensive. not just the HD but for everything including my DVR's (3).

deepmoz said:
So stick with Dish because they will have more HD channels coming in the future? Now what about all the other channels? They look like crap! Why is it that DN non HD channels look so horrible? Also, does anyone forsee any other dish boxes other than the 942? Seems a little pricey w/that $600 price tag.

I can almost guarantee that the analog channels on Comcast will look at least as bad, probably worse, than the SD channels on E*. It's hard to watch anything I've recorded on my Comcast PVR that's from an anlog channel. Even the digital SD channels are soft.

I have mixed feelings for Comcast, but mostly negative.

Their DVR software is a POS. Horrible Horrible Horrible. (SA8x00 boxes). No search or anything, its just bad. On Demand's menu is horrible as well.

The HD channels look really nice, as well as the Digital channels (100 & up). However, the analog channels look bad (2-99). No digital simulcast here yet, but whenever that comes along it should improve things. Problem is that almost all of the good basic cable channels are analog (SciFi, Com, ESPN2, CNN, etc). They're all pretty much unwatchable when recorded on the DVR.

HD On Demand is pretty nice. So far only Laurence of Arabia has been free for HDOD.

I have no experience with DN, only D* (without HD), and I can easily say that SD D* is much much better than Comcast for the most part. Better PQ, much better user interface, better regular price.

All that being said, if they give you a good deal, try them out. Usually you can get free install, and some sort of 1 year promotion rate that is pretty good.

-John

The reason your parents didnt have to have a box is cause their TV is most likely cable card ready and decode qam signals from the cable company. Is your TV a HDTV or HDTV ready? See my tv which although is 2 years old is a sony GW and is HDTV ready meaning it can accept HDTV signals over DVI and component but via my antenna lead I cannot decipher NTSC signals only ATSC. So even if I had comcast HDTV service I would need a box.

I'd like to try comcast. I wonder if they would consider burying the cable the 45 miles out here so I could watch HD and see if its better on Comcast than E*.

Tim

I have both Comcast and Dish Network.

If your analog reception via Comcast is bad, and your local unit uses Motorola DVRs, try to get a "Phase III" 6412. The analog reception blows the older units away. If you need to swap your unit, just tell your cable co. you need a unit with HDMI output. The Phase III boxes have HDMI. (But not DVI, so be prepared to use an adapter or a different output if you use DVI. The improved analog reception -- and remote control reception -- is worth it.)

As for Dish Network's HD PQ, judge for yourself, but I have a 1-year-old 62" set and I can't complain at all about their PQ, although the opinions of others are well-known on this board. YMMV.

Comcast is rolling out digital simulcast which means that if you have an HD/digital cable box, you would see the digital version of a channel that is in the expanded basic tier and if you don't have such a box, you would see the analog version.

The digital version looks much, much better than the analog version on a Comcast system that is rolling out digital simulcast of the analog tiers.

That said, I have Comcast and Dish for HD only. HD on Comcast looks noticeably better. I have Dish for the HDNets and Voom. YMMV because my Comcast system has been upgraded and most have been.

I have been very pleased with Comcast with the picture quality it provides on the HD channels. I have Dish for HD only because Comcast does not carry all the HD that is available.

I have to say if Dish were smart they'd PAY for TCM to setup an HD and give it to them exclusively for a while that would force even the Dish naysayers like the poster of this topic to HAVE to carry Dish in HD.
Also I think most people carry Dish for the previously mentioned stuff, especially VOOM though not lately I'm sure.

the SA 8000 series DVRs look like they are intended for 6 in camper TVs. Horrific cxxp a true insult to videophile. Had one for one afternoon exchanged it back for the 3250HD. Now it turns out they are running out of bandwidth and anytime they have more than one channel showing true HD, the people at the end of the hood will get pixelated big time.

www.verizonfios.com may retum me to landline, but for now im sticking with Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)