Comcast HD VS DirectTV HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Only five months until I can dump Directv, I was hoping it would work out, but it ended up being more of a hassle than Comcast. I will say that, despite their lack of knowledge, Directv customer support is light years beyond Comcast.

That was the most idiotic article I have read in a long time. He's compairing PROGRAMMING on HD channels, not the actual HD channels themselves.

I have Comcast, and would love to have HDNet to see Knight Rider in HD!!! That would be sweet! But who cares really, content is content. Notice how Sho on Comcast is somehow better than on D* because they were showing Mermaids, and D* was showing Bandwagon. This is utter cr*p of a review.

-John

Wonder if COMCAST is a big ad supporter of TVpredictions.com? AND its only a review vs Comcast of Washington DC, so every other cable system, per area is different, so its more like comparing apples to sour grapes. No need to offer HD LIL for IND locals, WB and UPN digital which he seems to be in a snit about; WB & UPN are merging, so wait for the fallout, and IND channels, who cares what shows do they have?. You only need your 4 network HD LIL. AND he fails to mention what a reader did, cable has NO NFL ST and a better laid plan for the future.

Last edited:
jgantert said:
I have Comcast, and would love to have HDNet to see Knight Rider in HD!!! That would be sweet! But who cares really, content is content.

Agree, content is content. And while I have D* and Comcast at the moment I prefer having TNT-HD, Starz-HD, Cinemax-HD, Comcast Sportsnet Chicago-HD over Universal-HD, the HDNet's although I would really like to see ESPN-2 on Comcast. IMHO I like the InHD channels, at least when they have an NBA basketball game on it's not blacked out vs. those NBA games that are in the 90's on D*.

The article talked about the HD programing, but didn't mention anything about the grainy analog (usually channels under 100) signals on cable. If you have a HDTV and watch those grainy analog signals on it, the better quality of the HDTV amplifies the grainy analog signal, to make the picture look even worse. That is the reason I switched to D*, to get 100% digital channels.

I know some of the cable companies are making total digital packages but many of them are still analog with many of the basic services.

Anyone know if Comcast will let you purchase just the HD channels similar to how you can do that with Dish Network?

I just got off of the phone with DTV. I told them I wanted to return my unopened DVR and my H10 because there wasn't enough programming to make it worth me keeping the DVR and I didn't want to pay for the upgrade for the H10 when Mpeg4came out. I've been a DTV customer since 1994. I explained I wasn't happy paying for a DVR that would have to be replaced and wouldn't have a whole lot to record for almost a year. It took me a little while but I got them to credit my account and give me the two H20s. With the difference I'm going to buy me a good DVD-R and wait for the new DVR when it happens. In the mean time my monthly bill will go down because of the DVR cost coming off.

I'll miss the season pass capability but I'll just have to be diligent with the DVD-R.

ALL of that was because I almost went to Comcast because of DTV not having enough HD programming. DTV is playing catch up now.

CWS_kahuna said:
Anyone know if Comcast will let you purchase just the HD channels similar to how you can do that with Dish Network?

The local HD channels are supposed to be unencrypted, so if you get their basic basic package you should have those, but you'll have to have your own QAM capable tuner. If you want the non-premium HD channels then you'll need to subscribe to their digital tier and rent their STB or have a cable card ready STB.

lou_do said:
The article talked about the HD programing, but didn't mention anything about the grainy analog (usually channels under 100) signals on cable. If you have a HDTV and watch those grainy analog signals on it, the better quality of the HDTV amplifies the grainy analog signal, to make the picture look even worse. That is the reason I switched to D*, to get 100% digital channels.

I know some of the cable companies are making total digital packages but many of them are still analog with many of the basic services.

Agreeded but as more and more cable systems move to 100% digital then the DBS companies really start to loose their advantage in PQ, in fact, in the case of D* their HD and SD channels look worst then what the Comcast system I'm on provides. Yes, I do pay a few dollars more for Comcast over DBS but I'm also getting more channels.

Comcast HD in the Boston area is just horrible. My uncle and brother in law have it while I have Directv. The hd picture on comcast was like aluminum foil on a coat hanger compared to D*. The one advantage , and it is killing me , nesn in hd.

When I briefly moved to comcast about a year ago, I thought the HD picture was good here in the Detroit area. It was the rest of the other comcast issues and of course "Sunday Ticket" that brought me back to Directv

Last edited:
I've seen some pretty bad articles on HDTV, usually with some bad information presented as facts. But this article takes the cake. I can understand favoring a cable system over DirecTV because they have more HD channels. But for this guy, everything on Comcast is great and everything on DirecTV sucks. Even the channels that are the same on both such as ESPN-HD and HBO-HD are better on Comcast than DirecTV. Does this guy have an axe to grind with DirecTV? How could someone publish this nonsense?

-JustBob

JustBob said:
Even the channels that are the same on both such as ESPN-HD and HBO-HD are better on Comcast than DirecTV. -JustBob
Technically he is correct. Comcast doesn't alter the signal that they receive from the providers where as D* downconverts the resolution so they can squeeze the channels into their limited bandwidth. Please reference all the discussions about HD-Lite on D* for more information.

rad said:
Technically he is correct. Comcast doesn't alter the signal that they receive from the providers where as D* downconverts the resolution so they can squeeze the channels into their limited bandwidth. Please reference all the discussions about HD-Lite on D* for more information.

Totally incorrect. If you re-read the comments about ESPN, its better on Comcast because it is in HD on comcast, but only in SD on D*. Obviously this is nonsence, the reviewer should have tried to compare ESPN-HD with HD content on D* as well.

Also, there was no mention of locals on D*. I take it this guy doesn't have an antenna, or the new DC dish.

As Jeff Albertson would say... Worst review ever.

-John

jgantert said:
Totally incorrect. If you re-read the comments about ESPN, its better on Comcast because it is in HD on comcast, but only in SD on D*. Obviously this is nonsence, the reviewer should have tried to compare ESPN-HD with HD content on D* as well.
-John

I'd recommend that you re-read it again, what he says about ESPN-HD on D* is "ESPN HD is showing !st and 10, one of about 20 daily shows on ESPN that feature sports writers who yell at each other. Unfortunately, they are not yelling at each other in high-def, so let's move on yet again." He doesn't say that it's SD on D*, only that the program he was watching is not in HD.

rad said:
I'd recommend that you re-read it again, what he says about ESPN-HD on D* is "ESPN HD is showing !st and 10, one of about 20 daily shows on ESPN that feature sports writers who yell at each other. Unfortunately, they are not yelling at each other in high-def, so let's move on yet again." He doesn't say that it's SD on D*, only that the program he was watching is not in HD.

This is exactly what I am talking about. He didn't find something on ESPNHD in HD on D*, so therefore he is implying that D* has less of an HD selection.

I still STRONGLY stand by opinion that this review is utter cr@p.

-John

jgantert said:
This is exactly what I am talking about. He didn't find something on ESPNHD in HD on D*, so therefore he is implying that D* has less of an HD selection.

I still STRONGLY stand by opinion that this review is utter cr@p.

-John
I agree, the review isn't very good. But he is correct in his statement, "You notice a trend here? It's no surprise that DIRECTV's high-def owners are getting frustrated. There are some good channels in the lineup, but it's simply not enough. We need more choices, more channels".

D* has fallen behind many cable systems and E*.

rad said:

Yes, I know all about HD-Lite on DirecTV. However it doesn't appear that's what he's talking about. I doubt this idiot has any idea about that. I did agree with his one statement that DirecTV HD customers are getting frustrated with DirecTV. But there was so much crap in his article before that point that I couldn't bring myself to agree with anything this guy had to say.

-JustBob

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)