Comcast HD VS DirectTV HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well I am in colorado and becasue of the mess to get OTA denver stations and my desire to get both high speed internet and ABC HD for the super bowl (damn broncos) I added comcast last month.

I have been with D* with them from the beginning (okay two months after the started business). I came from C band type of setup before that.

The quality difference on Discover HD is noticable being that cable is better though not by a bunch. Recordings of CSI which I get the feed via CBS west on D* are very similar. HBO hands down is much worst on the D* than Comcast and ESPN did vary between being as good on cable to being worst mostly was program dependent.

The receiver I have for the cable is the Motorola 6412 model and I am comparing with the Hughes HD-Tivo for Direct TV. I have checked with both a Mits 52 inch DLP rear projection screen and an infocus 7205 front project which displays at 10 feet horizontal size.

Additional notes are I have watched the history channel, hgtv and Altitude SD channels and D* is better than cable.

It has been over 15 years since I have had cable anywhere near my system but when they ran fiber within 2000 feet of our sub-division I guess the performance can occur.

I like watching hockey a lot and since I do have center ice still with D* I will continue with both for the next few months and report back any additional information. The challenge of course is there is no metric that I could provide that would allow others other than in our area any real data since each cable system is different. Though I will say the Motorola box kind of sucks in performance and capacity compared to the Hughes box except for guide menu speed :)

Bottom line is I haven't decided yet but I am leaning toward cable for at least the next year even though I have thousands invested in D*.

I haven't seen slacker post in a while here but he has a similar setup with both running at the same time.

Knight Rider is actually on Universal HD. They cropped the top and bottom of the show, but it's nice seeing the show again.

jgantert said:
That was the most idiotic article I have read in a long time. He's compairing PROGRAMMING on HD channels, not the actual HD channels themselves.

I have Comcast, and would love to have HDNet to see Knight Rider in HD!!! That would be sweet! But who cares really, content is content. Notice how Sho on Comcast is somehow better than on D* because they were showing Mermaids, and D* was showing Bandwagon. This is utter cr*p of a review.

-John

I just switched from comcast to d* last month and despite all that i've been reading about HD-Lite and such I've had a better picture with d* than I ever had in the 3 mos I had comcast in hd (before that I only had OTA with my old voom receiver.) The only benefit comcast had over d* was comcast sports net in philly and even then over 50% of the games were in SD anyway. The only other channel missing is TND-HD, which until nascar season is complete rubbish anyway as Lord of the Rings was cropped or stretched so bad it was like watchin a 4:3 version with pan and scan on. D*'s version of hd is much better IMHO.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts