Comcast HD

sloud74

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 10, 2004
I have had Comcast HD for a while now and ever since I got it I have had some questions.
1. Whenever there is a lot of motion on my TV pixelization occurs temporarily, does anyone else experience this?

2. Is there a way to check my signal strength? I have gone into the cable box setup and then you can review your cable setup. There is a bunch of numbers and stuff, does it tell you anything about signal strength on this screen?

3. Sometimes the HD will appear softer on some shows than others and at different times. Why is this? Example: Sportscenter will have a softer picture at one time of day, then later it will be sharper.

sloud74 said:
I have had Comcast HD for a while now and ever since I got it I have had some questions.
1. Whenever there is a lot of motion on my TV pixelization occurs temporarily, does anyone else experience this?

I notice this once in a while as well as sound drops on the digital sound (optical and coax). I believe it probably has something to do with the head end compression being used.

Another possibility is that you have some neighbors stealing cable close to you. According to a friend of mine (who worked for AT&T and finally Comcast) when people steal the signal there is often picture degradation for everyone.

With that in mind, I have noticed my picture becoming more stable since comcast recently was sweeping my street and surrounding streets for signal leakage, and stolen signals.

Call and tell them about the problems and demand they fix them. They sure as hell charge enough for service, make them earn the money.

Comcast HD a Voomers Perspective

Hi all! I am new to Comcast and a former Voomer till they went black 3AM EDT May 1st. I am very impressed with the HD picture (although I did not get to watch long enough to see possible quality fluctuation (I did have to turn up sound more last night than I did this morning though). I am told that the picture quality on Comcast in Maryland compares to that of Voom at its best just before they changed harmonic encoders in February (I joined Voom in March).
I am surprised that some installers (mine for instance) installed HD TVs as if they were installing a Standard Def TV. Namely, he used a non-digital, coaxial output from the HD-STB to the HDTV even though he had a digital component video cable. And since the Motorola boxes (DCT-6412 and the HD-non-DVR boxes that I am also leasing) also have DVI digital out puts I am surprised that they don't bring DVI or DVI/HDMI cables with them as well as the component cables (which again he brought but did not use) (I showed him to use them). If my understanding is correct, the picture quality (though looking good) is not truly digital with coaxial output (unless you are using the split digital coaxial output cable). I know that the Voom installers brought component and DVI cables but would you would have to purchase DVI/HDMI cables and all of these were considered truly digital and superior to coaxial out and superior to S-Video as well.
All and all due to the great deal I got as a Satellite refugee, and the great picture quality on Comcast HD, I am very happy. I miss a couple of the Voom originals (world sport, Kung Fu, and Equator) and also the west coast feeds of HD premiums (in case we miss a showing on east coast) . But I'm happy that Comcast added TNTHD in my region (just in time for the NBA playoffs).
Wayne

I am also very happy with how my HD looks from Comcast. NBA on TNT has never looked better!

Comcast HD a Voomer's Perspective

betsig250 said:
I am also very happy with how my HD looks from Comcast. NBA on TNT has never looked better!

You're right. I was also astounded by the image on ESPN HD......just looking at the crispness (if I can use that word) of the Baseball Tonight set.

Wayne

Just like Voom before the new encoders went in.

So, what do you think of the SD quality? :) The digital SDs are ok, but the analog ones are not so good.

-John

Where I live Comcast's HD PQ was not as good as Voom's, but their SD PQ was better.

jclampit said:
Where I live Comcast's HD PQ was not as good as Voom's, but their SD PQ was better.

Do you know if you have digital simulcast for the SD channels? I haven't heard anything about when it it coming to my area (Howard Co, MD). Over on broadbandreports.com, they report some digital simulcast in (seemingly) random parts of the country for only some of the channels.

-John

jgantert said:
Do you know if you have digital simulcast for the SD channels?
-John
No idea, John. The comparison was made in Panama City, FL. Don't know if that helps.

Instead of directing people to other websites to view specific information, it might help the forum out if the info was posted and credited as to the source... otherwise it looks like spamming.

IE:

I saw this over at DVRChatter.com:
Motorola DCT-6412 boxes on Comcast etc etc etc...

Happy...

I'm more than happy with the HD quality from Comcast. I'm in Baltimore, MD. However, the SD quality is really a lot worse than Voom ever had! I was told by my installer that the SD is supposed to go ALL digital at some point... or something like that. The quality of the digital varies from channel to channel but is mostly pretty good. I too miss the West Coast feeds of my premium channels and especially Monsters HD and Rave... but for what I'm paying with Comcast.. I'll wait to see what happens with the Sats..

Dave

Thanks for the info

fksammons said:
If you want tons of great info specifically for Comcast HD/DVR do a search on "dvrchatter"
Thanks fksammons! I have several questions/issues on/with the DCT-6412 which I am rating at the moment as a piece of @!#$%&.

1) I recorded 2 shows on TNT HD yesterday (first attempted recording in my first full day with Comcast)
The first one was "Angel" (never saw the show ....just to test)
The second was the Wizards/Bulls game. Which I was recording as well as watching. In both cases the recording occured that's the end of the good news. When I played it back especially the B-ball game, it was a series of herky-jerky images almost quite often alternating between slow motion and regular motion an the sound also kept dropping. I never heard more than 2 seconds of normal sound before the next chop and never saw more than 2 seconds of normal (usually much less) video. Is this crappy quality limited to HD recordings (I have not tried to record in SD)?
2)My other issue is ....if this is a dual tuner device, why does the device give me a message asking me if I want to stop recording when I attempt to change the channel? The (PDF manual) mentions a swap button on remote control (I will check that when I get home) but there is no image of the remote control in this PDF (that I can see). I guess I got spoiled using the Directv DVR (the Standard def one before joining Voom). You could easily watch one show and record another or watch 2 shows or swap between channels. Thanks!
Wayne

Baltimore City Voomers in da house

Dawson9 said:
I'm more than happy with the HD quality from Comcast. I'm in Baltimore, MD. Dave

Hi Dave,

Are you in the Baltimore City or Baltimore County? If you are in the "Baltimore City Digital Rebuild Area" You probably got the DCT-6412 also. If so, are you having the same problems with it that I mentioned above?
I was installed on May 3rd and love the crispness of the HD (except comcast sports net thank goodness the same Wizard game was also on TNTHD last night). It's a good thing also that I kept the Voom box for HD locals (and also have 2 TVs with HD tuners built-in) because while the Comcast HD locals are good, I am not getting channel 220 which is the High Def feed of PBS channel 22-6 (need to see Nature in HD). I get it through Voom box from roof-top off the air antenna as well as using rabbit ear antenna on the tuner-equipped HD TVs but when I change to 220 on Comcast, whatever channel that I am watching before the change freezes and I never see ch 220 (22-6 MPTHD) are you having this problem? I have a service call on Saturday about the issue but I don't see what they can do about it when all of the other Comcast HD local channels come in crisp sharp and clear. I was/am assuming it is an area problem not specific to my house for that reason. Thanks!
Wayne

Look at the very bottom row of buttons on your remote & swap is the second button in from the left. The others dont really do anything right now but if your TV has PiP then you can use the trick in the remote manual to enable features. The step is something like Press button for TV then hold setup button till it blinks 2x then enter 993 and then click the button you want to work in TV mode. I had to do this for Volume so I can control my Apm and TV volums sepratly as the remote comes programmed that Vol is locked to TV no matter what option Aux TV or Cable.

Hope it helps

bratboy said:
Look at the very bottom row of buttons on your remote & swap is the second button in from the left. The others dont really do anything right now but if your TV has PiP then you can use the trick in the remote manual to enable features. The step is something like Press button for TV then hold setup button till it blinks 2x then enter 993 and then click the button you want to work in TV mode. I had to do this for Volume so I can control my Apm and TV volums sepratly as the remote comes programmed that Vol is locked to TV no matter what option Aux TV or Cable.

Hope it helps
Thanks Bratboy, I forgot that I got a separate manual for the remote I have been looking only at the DCT-6412 manual.
Wayne

Other Tips of interest on DVRchatter site on DCT-6412

I'm going to try some of these things when I get home. Such as getting a signal booster as well as taking the splitter to modem off and and making sure I do the recordings on channel 1 not channel 2 (to see if I can get an improvement in recording quality).
Wayne

From DVRchatter site ( http://www.dvrchatter.com/viewtopic.php?id=8 )
1 Leave your 6412 on at all times. Some have reported being unable to view live TV after turning their box off and on again. Also, the 6412 will “Wake Up" to record programs in a muted state and shut itself off after having “Woken Up" to record a program in spite of the fact that you are using the DVR at the time. DVRs are generally “Always on" appliances.
2 Do Not Leave Your Tuners Tuned to An Analog Channel Users have reported lock-ups when recording or viewing Analog channels (Generally Channels 2-99). Some of these reports have even made it into media reports on the product. To avoid this, it is best not to leave your 6412 tuned to an analog channel when it is unattended. You may turn on your TV to find the box has frozen. Comcast is currently pushing a firmware upgrade to customers (version 09.15) which is supposed to correct the “Analog Freeze? issue.
3 Make sure your box is well ventilated Most report that the 6412 is a device that runs somewhat warm. As with all electronics, the 6412 needs to be well ventilated with nothing on top of it and plenty of air circulation around it.
4. Avoid Series Recording at This Time Unfortunately, many users report issues with Series Recording including strange behavior surrounding priority rankings, lock-ups when editing Series Recordings and the recording of unwanted episodes because of incomplete Guide data. Additionally, it appears that if you have two Series Recordings scheduled for one time you can only cancel one if needed. Trying to cancel the second brings the first one back. It is the opinion of this site that Series Recording, especially non-network programs, is best avoided until a fix is made in the software.
5.Give the 6412 a Steady and Stable Power Source - The 6412 seems to be especially sensitive to power issues such as surges and inconsistent power supplies. Make sure your 6412 is plugged into an outlet that is correctly grounded and not overloaded. As with most electronic equipment, a surge protector or UPS is indicated.

Basic Troubleshooting:
A substantial portion of the problems people have with their 6412 can be traced back to the strength, quality and stability of the signal they are feeding into the device. Users should come to the troubleshooting process with the knowledge that the 6412 is not like other devices they have had in the past, that it is especially sensitive, and that it requires a more clean and stable signal than they may have had with previous digital cable boxes that worked fine.

The signal coming into the 6412 is split internally. The one input feeds the two tuners and also an internal cable modem that allows communication back to the head end (presumably for guide data and OnDemand communication). On the diagnostic screens (section d04), you will see that the signal to Tuner 2 is considerably weaker and more "noisy" than the signal to Tuner 1. As noted by the higher "AGC" level, the 6412 must work harder to maintain a stable signal for Tuner 2. Users with poor signal will notice problems on Tuner 2. It cannot be stressed enough that this device needs the cleanest signal possible for optimal performance.

The Motorola Signal Booster can help with poor signal levels. (Link to Circuit City is for information, not a suggestion that you should purchase the item there exclusively) Unlike other signal boosters, it allows two-way communication on digital frequencies between you and your local Head End. It is not an inexpensive product. Shop around for the best price.

The signal should be split as few times as possible prior to being fed into the 6412. The signal cannot pass through other devices (DVD-Recorders, TiVos, VCRs) prior to being fed to the 6412. Personally, I recommend one splitter prior to connection with one output fed to the 6412 and the second into another splitter for distribution to your other televisions and devices in the house.

Comast HD channels have been outstanding so far. I just got installed last weekend. I like the dvr also. It is my first experience with one and it is rather cool. I wish channels 65-99 came in better. I have been told 2-99 are analog and some of them are pretty much unwatchable. One of them is TVLand and it happens to be one of my favorites. I have tried a splitter and an amp but it does not help except with the splitter. The splitter helps with the bad channels but it knocks out all the others.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)