Comcast in Boston - Lots of new bandwidth

philhu

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 1, 2004
Cold Boston Area
I was just at the North Shore Music Theatre watching 'Fame', and happenned to sit 2 seats down from a Comcast tech person (he even bought beer during intermission!).

We got talking about voom channels, etc.

He told me that Comcast Boston was dropping all analog channels except 1-13 (including on-demand on 1), making 2-13 'lifeline service'.

14-99 will be used for '20 or so new hd and 40 or so new sd channels' to be on by the end of September. He also stated that UHD is already on Comcast boston service, so should be ready for subs 'real soon'.

This is really good news!

Incredible news, if true. I guess most of us are skeptical of claims from CSRs, installers, and even CEOs (Charlie Chat, heh). Maybe a tech dept guy's info is more reliable. Hope so!

jclampit said:
Incredible news, if true. I guess most of us are skeptical of claims from CSRs, installers, and even CEOs (Charlie Chat, heh). Maybe a tech dept guy's info is more reliable. Hope so!
Incredible News! Let's keep our fingers crossed!

philhu said:
He told me that Comcast Boston was dropping all analog channels except 1-13 (including on-demand on 1), making 2-13 'lifeline service'.

14-99 will be used for '20 or so new hd and 40 or so new sd channels' to be on by the end of September.....

That would be very good news. In fact, too good to believe. What 20 HD channels can they add by the end of September?
Btw., what is the percentage of Comcast customers in the Boston area that are analog-only? Anybody knows?

That sounds great but If they convert there headend to accommodate analog only from channels 2 -13 you will still need to find a home (SD format) for the other former analog channels and this will require a STB or cable card for every TV (more fees for Comcast).
We HD folks sometimes forget that we are still a small percentage of the overall customer base!! I would love to see an additional 20 HD channels but I am skeptical !!

rcbridge said:
That sounds great but If they convert there headend to accommodate analog only from channels 2 -13 you will still need to find a home (SD format) for the other former analog channels and this will require a STB or cable card for every TV (more fees for Comcast).
We HD folks sometimes forget that we are still a small percentage of the overall customer base!! I would love to see an additional 20 HD channels but I am skeptical !!

I am sure they have/expect the Black Moto dig boxes to be plentiful and will probably give them out to the masses who need them.

Quote {I am sure they have/expect the Black Moto dig boxes to be plentiful and will probably give them out to the masses who need them.}

Give them out!! I am sure they will have them but give them out!!
I am sure they will work out a deal for those that need multiple boxes but i guarantee it won't be free.

rcbridge said:
Quote {I am sure they have/expect the Black Moto dig boxes to be plentiful and will probably give them out to the masses who need them.}

Give them out!! I am sure they will have them but give them out!!
I am sure they will work out a deal for those that need multiple boxes but i guarantee it won't be free.

It will probably be free, or built into the price for 6 or 12 months. That's how Comcast does things.

After that, they can give them at $4.55/mo incl remote.

I can agree they may add it to the monthly charge but you are still paying for it.
My local Comcast has never had any commitment it is month to month.

rcbridge said:
I can agree they may add it to the monthly charge but you are still paying for it.
My local Comcast has never had any commitment it is month to month.

Agreed. They will work it in somehow.

It definitely pays for them to do it. Just the 'theft' from mulptiple unclocked outlets to get analog cable will win for them!

It does make VCR's kind of obselete though :)
(Like they weren't already!)

Well ESPN2 HD, Disney HD, and possible a 3rd unknown HD is coming to Comcast in July time frame according to insider avic over at AVS in the Boston forums. :D

roachxp said:
Well ESPN2 HD, Disney HD, and possible a 3rd unknown HD is coming to Comcast in July time frame according to insider avic over at AVS in the Boston forums. :D

Let's hope the third is UHD!

If you are in Bristol County you some will be losing NBC WHDH-DT and getting switched over to WJAR-DT.

PS..Make that all your Boston locals everyone will be move over to the Providence soon after UPN27 is done testing and goes full time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts