Comcast increases Broadband speeds

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Considering just about all ISPs over provision their speeds by 10% - 20%, you should just about always test over what you pay for, unless you have gigabit.
Do they?

My VPS shares a 10Gbps Internet connection and when I measure large file transfers (using rsync) over the long term, the rates are much less than the 75Mbps that my plan advertises. The speed tests all rate highly but Comcast is very good at turning out great numbers for speed tests.

You're right about the name of the burst mode being PowerBoost. I must be thinking of another ISP.

Over provisioning can be about 100%...if you have a 1 gig pipe..they provision it for 2 gig....if you have a 10 gig pipe..they usually leave that alone because it has enough room...the theory on the 1 gigs is that not everybody is streaming at the same time...but alas thats a bad assumption
Considering just about all ISPs over provision their speeds by 10% - 20%, you should just about always test over what you pay for, unless you have gigabit. I take it the speed boost you are talking about is what Comcast used to call Power Boost that they implemented in 2006 and eventually licensed to other cable companies? Where you get a temporary increase boot of speed if there is available bandwidth on your node. If so, Comcast and other cable companies stopped using power boost years ago, there's no need for that anymore. Comcast was the first to drop their own technology in 2013.

Comcast to Shelve 'PowerBoost' | Light Reading

If you pay for 100Mb and routinely get 30 Mb, no ISP is going to give you the 'up to' line when you should be getting close to 120 Mb. If you are seeing a third of your advertised speeds there is a problem with or without the non-existant Power Boost.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Over provisioning can be about 100%...if you have a 1 gig pipe..they provision it for 2 gig....if you have a 10 gig pipe..they usually leave that alone because it has enough room...the theory on the 1 gigs is that not everybody is streaming at the same time...but alas thats a bad assumption

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Name an ISP that gives you twice the speed you pay for?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts