Comcast installed today in Dallas

mdanderson

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 3, 2004
Garland,Tx.
I just had Comcast installed in Garland(a suburb of Dallas) today and it went rather well for the most part. The installer told me right off the bat that HD was not available in my area for right now but would be in a few weeks when Time Warner takes over for Comcast. Well I was not too happy about that but after the install and I actually getting all HD channels except Discovery HD. ESPN, INHD1, INHD2, and TNT all look very good in HD. I think it even looks a little better than the Voom HD I had. They brought out component cables for the HD but I hooked up my DVI and it looks about the same as the component. I am using the digital coax connection and the sound is fine on all channels.

My major disappointment is with some of the SD channels. Most of them look ok but channels 66-99 don't look that good. TVLand happens to be in that group and that is one of my favorite channels. The DVR works ok and I like it so far. In order to improve the SD channels, I may try an inline signal amp I have left over from satellite or I may try spliting the signal between the digital box and the tv. Any other suggestions?

In a few weeks the installer said they would have to bring out a new box since Time Warner is taking over Comcast in Dallas. I hope the Time Warner boxes work as well or better than the Motorola 6412 which they installed. Thanks.

Matt :)

Channels 0-99 are all Analog SD signals which I believe which would explain why they dont look so good. You might wanna try what some others have said works well for SD channels if your TV has a second input hook up your box via composite or even possibly S-Vid (heard various opinions on Svid). I have also read with some TV's thioer tuner is better than STB's so an option would be to use a splitter on the cable going into your STB and running one coaxial line directly into your TV. At least worth testing out. I was told by the tech who did my install a cpl weeks ago that supposedly Comcast Denvers goal was to eliminate all analog signals by end of May so waiting to see. Most likely tho if and when DTV gets going with more HD I'll probably switch back to them but for now Cable with a HDDVR will get me by till all the darn dust settles.

Comcast told me they are going to be moving to all digital soon.. Take that for what its worth..

Actually Comcast is about to go bye-bye in Dallas. Time Warner is set to take over in the next 9-12 months there.

Thanks for the various input on this subject. I tried using the splitter and it really made a lot of difference on some of the channels what were not that good but it messed up some other channels that were ok. I am going try some other cable on it tomorrow. Using composite output helped a little bit with the bad channels. I know Time Warner is taking over here in Dallas. I hope they go to all digital channels. By the way, Discovery HD does not come in at all. The other HD channels look really great though. Thanks.

Update on my Comcast installation:
I was wrong about Time Warner taking over for Comast in my city. I live in Garland and so it is not affected. It applies to Dallas. I am now getting Discovery HD and it looks great for now. I still cannot get the free On Demand movies to play and I can't get into the "setup" mode. Thanks for any help.

The tech that installed my service here in Arlington also mentioned that Time Warner was taking over Comcast's market in this areal. Though, he said they would probably use the same equipment with different logos.

On demand works well here, but it did take a couple of hours to kick in.

He also said that I was lucky to receive duel tuner DVRs because apparently they haven't been giving out dual tuners in this area until the day that I had service installed.

Overall, I have had a good experience so far.

txdude said:
The tech that installed my service here in Arlington also mentioned that Time Warner was taking over Comcast's market in this areal. Though, he said they would probably use the same equipment with different logos.

On demand works well here, but it did take a couple of hours to kick in.

He also said that I was lucky to receive duel tuner DVRs because apparently they haven't been giving out dual tuners in this area until the day that I had service installed.

Overall, I have had a good experience so far.

I'm not sure when you had your Arlington installation but I have had my (2) 6412 Moto Dual tuners since January. The were in short supply until then but the only folks left using the 6208 Moto Single tuner are the ones that just don't know any better.

I was having trouble getting Discovery HD along with bad reception on some analog channels after the initial Comcast installation. Comcast came back out today and the tech took a reading of the signal and did something to the cable outlet in the wall. All I know is that all the channels look fine now. He also said Comcast will be making channels 2-99 digital before too long. The tech was quite knowledgeable. The only problem I have right now is with sound drop-outs. I forgot to mention that to the tech. When it happens, I change the channel and then go back to the original and it usually comes right back. The DVR works good too and I now have the On Demand working. Thanks Comcast. By the way, I live in Garland,Tx.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)