Comcast Internet, Dish Network, and OTA Antenna - Help!

jbergson

Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Thanks in advance for reading this...

So here's my situation:

I had dish network and an OTA antenna for local HD channels working great using a diplexer on each end. I just got Comcast internet and they had to use the same line coming in from the dish/antenna for the internet. So what they did was use a diplexer to combine the dish (already diplexed with the antenna) with the comcast internet into the house. They used another diplexer to split the connections. Internet works great, and satellite works great. Only problem is I don't know how to get my OTA to work again. I tried every combination with the original diplexer to the one the dish guys installed and even plugged the incoming line straight to the antenna port. Nothin. Any suggestions? Will I just have to run another line in for the comcast internet and undo what they did with the additional diplexer? Anyone have this same problem. Thanks!

I had the reverse happen to me. Some unmitigated swine from A1 came out on the wrong day and unplugged my cable Internet in order to hook up my Dish (Mover) service. (My cable Internet was reusing a former Direct TV cable run.)

I find long exterior (or interior) cable runs to be just too unsightly. So I re-cabled everything myself, fishing lines through walls, ceilings, and attic. Seems doubtful that you will find anybody other than yourself who will take the time to do a similarly neat/tidy installation. Or if you do find somebody, they'll really have to charge you to take enough time to do it right.

Thanks in advance for reading this...

So here's my situation:

I had dish network and an OTA antenna for local HD channels working great using a diplexer on each end. I just got Comcast internet and they had to use the same line coming in from the dish/antenna for the internet. So what they did was use a diplexer to combine the dish (already diplexed with the antenna) with the comcast internet into the house. They used another diplexer to split the connections. Internet works great, and satellite works great. Only problem is I don't know how to get my OTA to work again. I tried every combination with the original diplexer to the one the dish guys installed and even plugged the incoming line straight to the antenna port. Nothin. Any suggestions? Will I just have to run another line in for the comcast internet and undo what they did with the additional diplexer? Anyone have this same problem. Thanks!

What you need to do is call Comcast and have them get someone out there and run the cable to your modem like they should have done in the first place. They also need to reconnect your Dish and OTA system so it operates like it did before they SCREWED IT UP.
Don't let them blow you off!

When I first got Dish, I had a similar setup. (Dish + OTA for TV, Comcast for Internet) The setup worked best for me when I had a dedicated run for the cable Internet. A good cable tech will set it up this way in the first place since the cable modems are fairly sensitive to low signal. Each split or connection will degrade the signal, and reduce the reliability of the Internet connection. I am a bit surprised the cable tech was even willing to run them together.

That is really besides the point, though. To answer your question, the OTA signal and the cable signal use the overlapping frequency bands and cannot coexist on the same line without severe interference. Your only option is to have one of them on a dedicated line and diplex the other with the Dish signal. I would suggest dedicating a line to the cable Internet run straight to the cable modem.

I have DISH (separate cable), Comcast Internet & basic cable on a splitter. Works fine most of the time.

I was a little concerned about the data traffic going BACK through the split signal while the tv signal was coming in but its worked for a number of years for me like that.

DISH didn't impact that as I had the installer run a separate line.

Well I had comcast come back out (free of charge) and run a dedicated line for the internet. Took him 30 minutes. Everything is running great now. Thanks for your feedback!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)