Comcast locking me out?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

kjaslow

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Anyone ever see this thing? This coupler has my home cable on one end, and the other end is connected to my satellite. The long piece on the right side didn't used to be there. And coincidentally, I cancelled Comcast this week. I'm thinking that Comcast put this thing on the coupler to prevent me from connecting the loose feed from Comcast, but instead, it's preventing me from connecting to my Voom satellite.

If you've seen the thing, can you tell me how to get the darn thing off the coupler? I don't think my local hardware store sells couplers like this, or I'd just replace the whole thing...

Thanks.

Attachments

• CableThing.JPG
    CableThing.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 1,317
That is a ground block (thats not even grounded)

Don't even fight with it, just get another ground block you can get them anywhere for about a buck. :)

The device is called a locking terminator. It can only be removed with a specialized tool that turns the device from the inside. It's completely passive, but it will block signal in both directions. You're probably the victim of a installer or technician that can't tell a cable connection from a satellite connection. Replace the whole thing.

kjaslow said:
I don't think my local hardware store sells couplers like this, or I'd just replace the whole thing...

Thanks.

try Radio Shack, if you have one, if not I'm sure Lowes or Home Depot or even Sears should have one....

Where do I buy a ground block? So far no luck at local hardware store, Home Depot, Best Buy, or Radio Shack...

Never mind. I see it on Radio Shack's website. They just seemed to not to know about it when I spoke to them over the phone... On my way there now...

Shouldn't the installers be running all NEW coax for the satellite anyway? When I got mine installed the paperwork called for NEW RG-6 coax up to 400 feet in length to be installed.

Looks like Comcast is getting very posessive of "their" cable. I had an old unused Comcast line running from my house to the pole which came down in a storm. We called them to come fix / remove it, because it was hanging on other wires and in my yard. When the tech got there(2 days later by the way) he accused us of using "their" cable to run my satellite. I promptly said "This is all new coax from satellite install". To which he replied "oh well i won't tell anybody." and removed the run from the pole. Now to top it all off the same piece of coax which he cut off at the pole is now sagging across the street. I can't wait for a tall truck to come along and rip it down.

The coax in question is actually attached to my house and runs from just under the gutter to the basement window where it has a ground block. In my opinion the cable belongs to me, and if I want to run satellite through it I shoule be able to. If they are so worried about it then when I cancled their service, which by the way was 3 years ago, they should have taken it off my house.

Way to go Comcast!!

AS was mentioned that is a locking terminator Comcast especially are major wanks about it, they tell their subs to put it on everyone and be an annoyance to people canceling them for Sat. If you call Comcast they will tell you they installed all those lines and if you need service to call your Sat. company. I say you buy the tire locking terminators and slap them on the car of your local Comcast manager.

FYI: According to the 1992 Cable Act the cable attached to your house belongs to YOU. If you live in an apartment or or a residence that you do not own the cable is subject to agreements signed between the property owner and the cable company.

Thanks. Went out to Radio Shack, spent 5 cents and all is working now.

To clarify - this is a brand new condo. There are no lines into my unit to which Comcast has any entitlement. When I installed Voom, I had a new line dropped from the dish to the street where the line from my unit was previously connected to the Comcast line. I disconnected the Comcast line and left it loose and connected up the dish.

The !$#@# Comcast dude came out, and without even looking at what he/she was doing, connected this freakin' lock. When I called Comcast today to have them remove it, they said the would first need to come inspect it to confirm that it was theirs, and then first schedule an appointment to come out and remove it. They could not be bothered to make any commitments about when this would happen.

Thanks for your advice. I was able to remove the whole damn thing and replace it with the Radio Shack unit. I bought a spare just in case I can't cancel the Comcast appointment and the same knob comes out and does the same thing again (I've been with Comcast long enough to know what to expect...).

I'm Vooming again...

To me that looks like a lazy uninstaller. What I mean by that if I am correct they are supposed to put the on the drop end of the line not the inlet part of your house. maybe he did not want to climb the pole or whatever he needed to do.

Comcast screwed up my digital phone service when I canceled my digital cable after getting voOm. I specifically told them that I still had cable internet and digital phone service coming through the line and the said that my other services would not be affected. Unfortunately I could not be home the day that they sent a guy out to disconnect the cable. When I got home that evening I checked my phone and internet and my phone was not working. The idiot that did this left a bunch of loose wires hanging out of the NID on the outside of my house where the phone converts from coax cable to phone wiring. I called and they told me someone would be back first thing in the morning. No one ever showed up. I called them repeatedly to send someone to fix it yet it took Comcast 2 more days to send someone out. :mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)