Comcast Philly debate

Status
Please reply by conversation.

peelpub94

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
I haven't seen anything else on this lately, anyone else?

I still want to know why we're able to see every Phillies game broadcasted on CSN-Philly on Directv MLB EI in HD but not the Flyers?

Is it really because Comcast owns the Flyers?

It's due to the way the games are provided to DirecTV by the respective league offering the out-of-market package. Both satellite and cable systems offer MLB:EI, so the league broadcasts their own set of feeds to each of their distribution partners offering the package via their own transponder space. So cable companies and DirecTV get reception hardware from the league to be able to pick up the MLB:EI games in HD.

Satellite transponder space is limited, so what DirecTV typically does is take the RSNs they already have uplinked to the satellites and authorize MLB:EI subscribers to be able to tune out-of-market RSNs while the game is taking place. DirecTV doesn't currently have an agreement to carry CSN:philly, so they use the feed they get from the league just for those games.

The NHL does the same thing with Center Ice, but they only have the capacity to distribute the content in SD. So normally you get to watch the game on a HD Regional Sports feed that DirecTV already has uplinked, but in the case of CSN Philly they don't carry the channel, and the only feed they get from the NHL is standard def.

It's due to the way the games are provided to DirecTV by the respective league offering the out-of-market package. Both satellite and cable systems offer MLB:EI, so the league broadcasts their own set of feeds to each of their distribution partners offering the package via their own transponder space. So cable companies and DirecTV get reception hardware from the league to be able to pick up the MLB:EI games in HD.

Satellite transponder space is limited, so what DirecTV typically does is take the RSNs they already have uplinked to the satellites and authorize MLB:EI subscribers to be able to tune out-of-market RSNs while the game is taking place. DirecTV doesn't currently have an agreement to carry CSN:philly, so they use the feed they get from the league just for those games.

The NHL does the same thing with Center Ice, but they only have the capacity to distribute the content in SD. So normally you get to watch the game on a HD Regional Sports feed that DirecTV already has uplinked, but in the case of CSN Philly they don't carry the channel, and the only feed they get from the NHL is standard def.

Thanks for the reply. Something needs to be done with the way HD programming is transmitted to homes. It's 2010, not 1994. Some things tells me it's all just a bunch of red tape surrounding $$$ that prevents us viewers, (who the game is for) from watching our sport in HD. The NHL needs to get their act together. All other sports are 100% in HD or at least very close.

I can see why the NHL hasn't invested a ton of money into upgrading their distribution facilities, considering the majority of the CI providers using the feeds are cable companies that don't have the capacity to broadcast the games in HD anyway. Most cable systems still have a single HD channel that is shared between Center Ice and NBA League Pass. Even Dish can only air 8-10 HD feeds on any given night, and that capacity is split up between Center Ice and League Pass.

It's easy to get spoiled with DirecTV's HD coverage if you don't look at the market and see how dismally poor every other company is doing.

I can see why the NHL hasn't invested a ton of money into upgrading their distribution facilities, considering the majority of the CI providers using the feeds are cable companies that don't have the capacity to broadcast the games in HD anyway. Most cable systems still have a single HD channel that is shared between Center Ice and NBA League Pass. Even Dish can only air 8-10 HD feeds on any given night, and that capacity is split up between Center Ice and League Pass.

It's easy to get spoiled with DirecTV's HD coverage if you don't look at the market and see how dismally poor every other company is doing.
The cable co in canada have the room for more HD I think some have like 5-8 HD feeds for NHL CI + they have NFL ST. I think rogers has like 25-30 part time HD feeds for there super sports pack / NHL CI / NBA LP / MLB EI.

But the NHL is able to get the HD feeds for ON THE FLY HD. But them being in Canada makes it a lot easyer to get WGN HD (Chicago not the wgn america feed) and the Canada feeds in HD.

Getting OTA feeds is harder. Also I don't think that in demand can get CSN Philly HD as well for NHL.

But how hard is for D* to fiber in the OTA feeds from there own local up links centers to the main berms?

what about at least WGN HD or get WGN HD from a Canada sat. WGN chicago has NBA and NHL games that are not on WGN America.

also on 11/7 when a game is only on WGN and rogers sportrs net. Why not take the feed you have now and not pay to feed in a subfeed of sports net one from rogers in Canada?

The cable co in canada have the room for more HD I think some have like 5-8 HD feeds for NHL CI + they have NFL ST.
They remap some of the movie HD PPV channels and 2-3 Center Ice channels to do Sunday Ticket, and the 8 channels for Center Ice aren't as impressive as they sound. In most cases, 5 of those channels are really remaps of SportsNet Pacific, West, Ontario, East, and One. So there are only 2-3 channels of HD to show any non-Canadian games.

But the NHL is able to get the HD feeds for ON THE FLY HD.
Watch closely -- not all the clips for On the Fly are in HD just yet. They showed the Predators clips the other night in SD from FS Tennessee, and I watched that game in HD on the same channel.

Getting OTA feeds is harder.

But how hard is for D* to fiber in the OTA feeds from there own local up links centers to the main berms?
But getting LiL HD feeds is more important. People will avoid signing up for DirecTV if they can't provide their local channels in HD. That makes it worth the effort for DirecTV to pull in those channels.

The same with HD Regional Sports networks. Locally Comcast carries Fox Sports North in HD 24x7. For DirecTV to win over cable subscribers they needed to provide the same service.

also on 11/7 when a game is only on WGN and rogers sportrs net. Why not take the feed you have now and not pay to feed in a subfeed of sports net one from rogers in Canada?
As part of carrying the Center Ice package they get a feed for each game from the NHL (most are only in SD). It's a matter of DirecTV using a feed they already have, or using the one they get from the NHL already as part of the package.

To get an HD feed for a channel they don't carry, or can't get from the NHL, DirecTV would have to go out and sign their own agreements to get transmission rights. Are more people going to sign up for Center Ice if they get those feeds? DirecTV is probably betting that the answer to that question is no.

To get an HD feed for a channel they don't carry, or can't get from the NHL, DirecTV would have to go out and sign their own agreements to get transmission rights. Are more people going to sign up for Center Ice if they get those feeds? DirecTV is probably betting that the answer to that question is no.
But some feeds also have NHL, NBA and MLB games so it may good to get the agreements to get transmission rights for them.

But some feeds also have NHL, NBA and MLB games so it may good to get the agreements to get transmission rights for them.
MLB is taken care of because they're providing the SportsNet Ontario games in HD for the Blue Jays and CSN:philly feed in HD for Phillies games.

Getting more games in HD will really come down to the leagues finding the motivation to produce more out-of-market games in HD, and not fall on DirecTV signing more transmission agreements. Sports channels are expensive, and DirecTV battled long enough last year over Versus. I don't see them taking on that kind of battle with an even smaller sports network just so they can air a couple more games in HD.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)