comcast pricing...what the

etrin

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
after having problems with dish I decided it was time to just say enought and move on.
Right now I am just using ota and don't feel that out of it since I use netflix also.

So feeling I needed better viewing and some more channels I miss now I called comcast and asked about the $29 special. Yes I know its for a year and goes up each additional year.
BUT what I was told was not that good.

after it was decided I needed HD and a second sd tv...no special tuner.
OH you also want on demand for 31,000 movies and older tv.
that will require a dvr. AND you have HD thats extra.

so $29 became $68 and I said thank you and gave up.

is this the comcast way?
I am not sure but I think the remote was an additional charge

after having problems with dish I decided it was time to just say enought and move on.
Right now I am just using ota and don't feel that out of it since I use netflix also.

So feeling I needed better viewing and some more channels I miss now I called comcast and asked about the $29 special. Yes I know its for a year and goes up each additional year.
BUT what I was told was not that good.

after it was decided I needed HD and a second sd tv...no special tuner.
OH you also want on demand for 31,000 movies and older tv.
that will require a dvr. AND you have HD thats extra.

so $29 became $68 and I said thank you and gave up.

is this the comcast way?
I am not sure but I think the remote was an additional charge

Sounds about right.. Companies advertise their cheapest price all the time.. Ex. Directv advertises $29.99 a month for 12 months, well if you want DVR, HD etc then thats extra.. In D* with what you want, it sounds like you could get them for $44.99 (for 12 months) I am sure if you didn't want on demand, dvr, hd, etc.. comcast could get you one tv for $29.99/mo

You don't have to have a DVR for On Demand, just a set top box, HD or SD. An HD box is only a little more than an SD box. You can get a FREE SD DTA for that second TV, if you just want the programming.

Last edited:
Every now and then I look on the comcast website as I have there internet service, wow they are giving quite the triple play bundle in our area. $300.00 gift card. I noticed though they are now adding the two year commitment as well.

I just went with Comcast and got their "Blast" package for $39 for the first 6 months. Includes Internet speeds up to 25 Mb, Basic TV and streaming with a STB. I only got it because I wanted the guide capability for locals plus the streaming. It should complement my Netflix very well.

I'm having a problem with Netflix though, it's only running around 3 Mb, whereas VUDU & Amazon are HD all the time. I've had Netflix connect in HD only about 4 times but it soon reverts to 3 Mb.

On demand can be viewed with a DIGITAL CABLE BOX OR HD CABLE BOX.. pRETTY BAD FOR DTA BOXES they can only get channels that you get from televisions that are directly connected to your cable outlet before digital migration started.

The $16 DVR is just highway robbery. I just got Comcast after the wettest summer in history and screaming from my family about the daily rain fade. For some reason I have ancient Scientific Atlanta ugly ass silver receivers. The onscreen caller ID that Dish has had for years, and I was promised is not available on those yet, they say but the DVR is no better than a VCR. On my Dish I had 22 HD movies saved, just to watch anytime. That didn't include my numerous weekly shows. I filled up the Comcast DVR the first weekend. The menu is ugly and confusing and I just hate the whole set up but it is what it is, but I still haven't found one reason to justify the $16. Tivo is looking better and better.

The $16 DVR is just highway robbery. I just got Comcast after the wettest summer in history and screaming from my family about the daily rain fade. For some reason I have ancient Scientific Atlanta ugly ass silver receivers. The onscreen caller ID that Dish has had for years, and I was promised is not available on those yet, they say but the DVR is no better than a VCR. On my Dish I had 22 HD movies saved, just to watch anytime. That didn't include my numerous weekly shows. I filled up the Comcast DVR the first weekend. The menu is ugly and confusing and I just hate the whole set up but it is what it is, but I still haven't found one reason to justify the $16. Tivo is looking better and better.

You can get a TIVO Premiere for about the same price, or better still, go find a TIVO HD box with lifetime on Craigslist or ebay. You lose the on-demand stuff, but get a much better DVR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts