Comcast signal strength

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jeffcat

Original poster
Dec 22, 2005
Atlanta
Does anyone know what the signal strength for Comcast is supposed to be from the street coming into the house?

For those of you who have seen my few posts, I have a home that is undergoing a remodel and it is located in an older neighborhood in Atlanta. I have run / installed a new infrastructure in the house (pulling out the RG59 and replacing it with RG6) all running back to a mini head end (if you could even call it that) - basically I'm going to take the cable they provide to the house - and run it into a multi-switch which will then branch out to my locations I want cable around the house.

Since I am in an older neighborhood I didn't know if they are required to reach a certain signal strength before coming in the house. Any thoughts ideas etc?

If you are less than 150' feet away from the tap ( be it a pole or ped) than you could get away with an RG6 drop to your house, if you are further than that, then you will need an RG11 drop--for better signal quality, when the tech gets to your house tell them that everything in your house is new and that you would like the drop to be new also...ask them to install an RG11 drop...thicker core, better signal carrier. One other thing that I would like to mention is that depending on how many outlets are going to be in your house?...b/c you didn't say, depends on if you will need an amp to boost your signal b/c each splitter in your house will give you db loss, in other words signal loss and poor picture quality. All the outlets in your house can be amped except the outlet that your modem will be running off of..so make sure that that line is labeled and keep it seperated from the other outlets to be amped. To answer your question about the signal strength coming from the street to your house, if I remember correctly it should be somewhere between 11db's and 17db's. Hope I could be of assistance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts