Come On C-Band ... Got Myself A BUD!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I didn't see that coming.
Hire a professional !
Excellent idea. :up

Just remind your guy that the dish is aluminum, and can be bent.

Kinda sounds like you're gonna take the dish home whole.
I like that a LOT, too. :up

The world's full of nice people!
I once had a power company crew loan me a really long special shovel to dig my hole to eight feet.
Then, they set my 40' recycled pole in the hole!
Even gave be a bunch of footpegs to screw into it.

They'd been working at the corner of my back yard, and I ask them for suggestions in planting the pole.
I already had the hole 80% dug by hand.

Tried to bribe them with beer, but they insisted on soda.
Made a list of flavors each wanted.
Guess each of the 5-man crew thought they were getting a 6-pack or two.
They were surprised when I drove up with two cases for each guy.
It'd been cheap at twice the price. :up ;)

They were really nice fellows.!

The world is full of nice guys like that (especially when they are on the clock). They actually saved the company money. Just think what it would cost to restring the lines you knocked down with that 40 foot pole ( After they hauled away your still smoking corpse).

Quick Note - The dish is down off the hill :D I put it in my garage and disassembled it. I can see why this was the best dish of it's day. Sturdy, Strong, Light Weight Panels. Lock together, easy to disassemble. The mount is built like a brick sh*t house. After all those years only one bolt stripped out (go PB Blaster). The dish had a dual LBNF on it (Chaparral)(made in Camarillo, CA). I have no way of knowing if it is good (won't hurt to try it). The hill was so steep I couldn't take any pictures. However I took some pictures of the dish on the trailer, during disassembly, button Hook, LBNF. Will upload them tomorrow. It took myself and 2 other guys to get it down. Took 2 hours. The guys didn't want anything for helping me but when I returned the trailer I left them (2) 36 Packs of beer to promote goodwill :D

You did yourself VERY well, there!
That's a first rate dish.

And the beer was cheap payment for a hell of job removing that dish! :up
We'll look forward to further tales and exploits. :)

Anole - What part of Cali do you live in? I'm in Santa Clarita about 6 miles from Magic Mtn.

I'm on the south side of Los Angeles.
Most of LA and Orange County are one large suburbia. ;)

Edit: so you dont get great OTA LA reception from the transmitters on Mt Wilson, it appears.
Santa Clarita:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=05595d502662ae

At my location I can't get any OTA TV from Wilson. I put up a huge TV antenna on the top of my Ham Radio Tower at 70'. I couldn't pick up any digital channels at all. I did pick up Channel 6 Analog from Tijuana but that was about it. OTA DTV can be received only in a few select areas. Mostly mountain tops or areas that have minimal blockage from Wilson.

Latest Update - My Winegard Pinnacle has been disassembled. The the panels, mount, and associated hardware are in my back yard. The FLNB that came with the dish is a "Dual Band Chaparral". Is that a good one? It seems to be in good shape for it's age. It requires two coaxial lines and a 3 conductor cable. Looks like some kids shot up a couple of the panels with a BB gun. So, I'll have to fix all of those dings. The panels are dirty of course. A couple of the panels have some bird s**t on them. So I might have to use something a little more aggressive to get that off. A question that I have for you (the experts) is, should I paint the panels and the mount? The existing paint (gray) is intact but it's really oxidized. If I could get the panels clean enough, then applied a coat of primer, the new paint might stick. Although the dish is gray, I seem to be leaning to painting it black. The bottom line is that I want it to look good when I put it back up. Any comments you might have would be appreciated. Most likely, I wouldn't paint the sides of the panels (interlock). Just the front and back. This BUD mounts on a 4" o.d. pipe. I am undecided as to how I want to mount it. I'm leaning to making a pedestal mount and mounting it on the top of my patio. The mount would be alum pipe 48" high with a nice square "thick" alum mount plate welded to it. The bolt pattern would line up with the main rafters of the patio roof.

I'm leaning to making a pedestal mount and mounting it on the top of my patio (roof).
And you plan on 'how' to set it up(tune it) and adjust the feed placement and perform any future upgrades and or tune ups???

Paint. Clean it up, with a wire brush where necessary, and a coat or two of Rustoleum should do. (It probably WAS black to begin with. Grey from the old paint oxidizing)
"Dual Band Chaparral"
I'd opt to remove and install a C Band LNBF* if you have a seperate Ku dish. Don't need to have another, manually adjusted/selected, polarity controller to operate the Chaparral's servo..
*did that a few years ago. NOT looking back. So nice having the FTA box do it all.

Aluminum parts:
I've never seen one I thought needed painting.
They last beautifully out in much nastier weather than found in Southern California!
Soak it with soapy water. Pressure wash it if you're careful.
Use a bristle (not wire) brush on it if you must.
It was working when you took it down, don't screw it up!

Steel parts (the mount):
if rust is showing, use a wire wheel or wire cup to knock off what's loose.
You don't need to see all shiny metal!
Get a can of Rust Destroyer primer at Home Depot (not expensive).
Apply two coats per instructions on the can.
Use whatever top coat/color you like.
I'm partial to Hammerite, as it's better than RustOleum, but the primer should save you anyway.

Pole:
You want to verify the size?
We've had numerous discussions on the forum recently, so I won't repeat myself.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/314631-Got-a-pole-delivered-for-the-BUD

And you plan on 'how' to set it up(tune it) and adjust the feed placement and perform any future upgrades and or tune ups???

I'd opt to remove and install a C Band LNBF* if you have a seperate Ku dish. Don't need to have another, manually adjusted/selected, polarity controller to operate the Chaparral's servo..
*did that a few years ago. NOT looking back. So nice having the FTA box do it all.

Yes, I do understand how "critical" the set up and tuning of the antenna can be. Although I am new to Satellite Dishes, I have a good microwave background (linear accelerators)(x-band, s-band). I'm also a Ham and have a good understanding of antennas and feed lines. However, I have no experience refurbishing Buds, picking out the best components, etc. This is where your help and guidance is so valuable. You guys have blazed the horizon, spent many long nights sleeping in your BUD, paid your dues, etc. So it is from that vast reservoir of knowledge that I hope to scavenge a few crumbs of knowledge to keep me from screwing up my BUD :D. I have a good OLM meter, so I think I can get the BUD set up and tuned for best signal on my nearest true south satellite. Could you recommend a good LNBF* for my BUD (Winegard Pinnacle) and a good actuator that will give me a range from 60w - 139w? Also and suggestions on a good inexpensive SAT METER would be appreciated.

C-Band lnbf's are crap imo
buy Chaparral Dual C-Band Feed and a couple norsat lnb's
can't see buying $100+ meter for a few uses i don't have one look at all the dishes i have just use a receiver. if you are a installer and use it daily ok or if you have lots of $$ buy one

edit
The FLNB that came with the dish is a "Dual Band Chaparral". Is that a good one? YES
It seems to be in good shape for it's age. It requires two coaxial lines and a 3 conductor cable.
you can use what you have it is better than a lnbf imo
if it sill works bet it does.
you will need a pansat 3500(old not S2 ready but $30 used) or a pansat 9500 for the servo.
good luck

Last edited:
I would -suggest- (not recommend) a dual output C-cand only LNBF, just to get yourself up 'n running.
It's simple and won't throw any additional problems your way.
You can practice your dish setup and alignment, immediately.

That would give you breathing time (6 months) to learn about and find a C-band only ortho mode feed horn.
As mentioned, you'll need two LNBs to go with it, and a modified multiswitch (which we have documented six ways from Sunday).

The deep Pinnacles need special consideration, something else to get educated about.
Talk to our other Pinnacle owners - they are your best source for info. :up

Yes, you are correct. The manual says that the factory color is Smoked Chrome Powder Coat. Depending on how it looks after I get it cleaned up, I might not repaint it. If I do decide to repaint it, I'll have it professionally done.

Powder coating I'd just clean up with soapy water and a bristle brush where needed. Anole gave good advice for the steel parts.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)