Come on Dish Anywhere, get Roku support!

As for Dishanywhere, for me, since I'm always next to my TVs when I use it and they are connected to Dish, that's not an issue for me.

As for anything else, it is a better platform (in my experience) for streaming services like Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and many more than the other options I've tried (thus the box full of other devices.)

And for HD movies and TV shows I rip and put on my USB flash drive, I convert those to MP4 high quality and they play great on my Roku Ultra.

I'm not going to try to convert anyone who has their own favorite option, just saying for my use, I'd been going through a lot of options (such as the aforementioned Chromecasts and Fire options) and since I got the Roku Ultra I've stopped looking.

Reactions: pattykay
What is the big deal about DA only using MPEG2 and what part of the data stream is only MPEG2? It could be considered a failure on Dish's part to only support MPEG2 in the DA app, aren't the newer codecs more space/bandwidth efficient? I would think space/bandwidth efficiency would be a primary consideration for a video app that sends so much data over the internet. Tablo is able to do what DA does using something other than MPEG2 as it has a Roku app, I know that the Tablo transcodes the MPEG2 stream to gain efficiency.

Reactions: pattykay
What is the big deal about DA only using MPEG2 and what part of the data stream is only MPEG2? It could be considered a failure on Dish's part to only support MPEG2 in the DA app, aren't the newer codecs more space/bandwidth efficient? I would think space/bandwidth efficiency would be a primary consideration for a video app that sends so much data over the internet. Tablo is able to do what DA does using something other than MPEG2 as it has a Roku app, I know that the Tablo transcodes the MPEG2 stream to gain efficiency.

Other than OTA, where is Dish still using MPEG2? WA SD channels?

MPEG2 is used by HD Homerun. I'm not aware if Dish is using it to stream with the Dish Anywhere app. I was merely illustrating the point that the Roku is somewhat neutered by not having MPEG2 support and *also* not supporting Dish Anywhere.
MPEG2 is ancient...kinda like complaining they don't support 8 track tapes

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: edisonprime
Other than OTA, where is Dish still using MPEG2? WA SD channels?
Comfortably_Numb stated the reason that DA isn't available on the Roku is because the Roku doesn't support MPEG2, I have no idea if true, BUT it sure seems like DA should be using something besides MPEG2 due to bandwidth utilization.

Comfortably_Numb stated the reason that DA isn't available on the Roku is because the Roku doesn't support MPEG2, I have no idea if true, BUT it sure seems like DA should be using something besides MPEG2 due to bandwidth utilization.

I never stated that the reason DA isn't available on the Roku is the lack of MPEG2. Two separate issues. The Roku lacks Dish Anywhere AND MPEG2 support. I don't know if those two things or related or not.

Last edited:
IIRC, Slingboxes switched to H.264 a long time ago. In fact, I am pretty sure they got sued over the adaptive bitrate tech over it.

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)