Come On People! My Rant

popzezo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
Augusta, Ga
OMG.... i hate the gimmie free people... if your tv is old do you go to circuit city and demand a free plasma tv.. if your car gets old do you tell your dealer that your deserve aa Escalade at the price of a Silverado? NO!.. why is it different here!!!! people think that because you have been a "loyal" customer that you "deserve" a free upgrade. well you dont. each new box we put out is well over $200 dollars. and lets just do a look back... your install was free.. as well as the first receiver you were given.. the first three months of your hbo/cmx/sho/staz was free.. ten months at $10 off

now lets add that up shall we.

a close estimate
dish(most 500's dpp twin) $175
pole & cable (average 200') $ 50
receivers (625 & 322) $550
time paid to tech (2.5 hrs) $ 40
10 off for 10 months $100
fuel to job $ 10

so for the average install $875
and your average dish bill a year $540
for a differance of - $335

so how do we OWE you again

please if someone can make a REAL explaination... enlighten me

also .. being a "loyal" customer means not threatning to cancel when you are told no freebees

Competition

One word.... Competition. All your comparison are bogus because DISH Network is a SERVICE not a device like a TV. Think of the cell phone industry. A cell phone or DISH reciever is useless unless you have the service or plan to sell the device. Free phones (or receivers) ... pay for service... pay only for the top of the line phones (or receivers).

Now for the real reason:
Verizon FIOS TV - $95 for HDTV AND 15Mbs FIOS Internet AND Phone with unlimited long distance! They will switch me for free and I will not get charged 2 months service like Dish does to new customers. Also the YES Network is included.. not that I care but others sure do. Let see PBS, WB and CW all in HD and all the HD sub channels not available from DISH!

I currently have dish but will switch to FIOS when I get an HD TV. FIOS has a much better HD picture and charges $0 for HD! Dish would have to give me a free HD-DVR and no charge per month for the HD package to even compare to Verizon FIOS... not to mention I get no discount now on my phone or DSL with Dish.

I think in 2 years there will not be a single Dish in the NYC metro FIOS areas. Dish has already scared off all the Yankee fans. Though there'll be a few NFL die hards who have Direct TV.

Last edited:
Take it you had a flip a quarter customer today?

I want some damn free fuel, this $3/gal for diesel sucks. $135 to fill my tank. I'm loyal, I keep buying it. :)

Back to reality,

I believe on the FSS I test it says that it takes 2 years before DISH will make a profit on you.

Dish breaks even on the first year so long as there are no trouble calls, second year they make a profit hence the 18 month contract. Dish makes a profit day one with ATT built accounts wich dish gets paid $633 or more most likely now as that info is 3 years old.

For the OP.

Look, I can go to cable and get a free sd box and hd box no charge with cables so yes if I call and order dish then Im gonna feel that it should be the same, makes sense right? In two years the cable box goes bad so I can take it to the local cable office and swap it for another at no charge, again I think it should be the same thing with dish, again makes sense right? Cable comes out with a dvr and I can get it for free even as an existing customer and that box is hd to boot, see where Im going?

Dish isnt competition where Im at for the simple fact that they dont have a telco bundle here, its either charter cable or bellsouth/att with direct and an unrealisticly priced bundle to compare with what I have now through charter for net/tvhd/phone. With charter I pay $119 a month for unlimited phone, 5 meg net, digital basic with hd service, the same thing through bellsouth with direct would be $139.99 not including the HD cost.

I agree. It is a service.

My cable company will give me as many HD boxes, HD DVR's, SD boxes, and SD DVR's as I want for free. I pay for the service, not the equipment.

I hear a lot on these boards that installs should not be free. Or free installs shouldn't include much. Well, most customers, especially those with cable, don't want to pay a few hundred dollars to switch to satellite. If they have cable, they don't have to pay for an install. A lot of people switch to satellite to save money. They expect to have the same level of service and usability that they did with cable. If the install and equipment is not free, people aren't going to switch. As simple as that. Cable does not require you to pay for equipment. So people aren't going to justify paying for the equipment necessary to receive satellite.

I don't know one person that would pay $875 for a Dish install.

hmmm..... wait there one second. My Dish bill per month is over $120! That's $2160 for 18 months. Dish is getting its money. Plus the equipment is leased, it's not your's! Its like leasing a car. When your 18 months is up, you give it back. I, for one, only buy cars in cash because of stupid things like this subject.

On the other hand, to hookup just one house to the Verizon FiOS line on the Telephone pole or in the ground, it costs the company well over $4,000 that they do not charge the customer. Now there is something to crab about.

Ever heard of INTEREST FREE car loans?

There's plenty of things you can get for less or even free if you ask for it and the business wants your business.

Feel FREE to pay my bill!

There are exceptions...

And then there are a few folks like me who have never leased anything and paid for every darn piece of equipment in our systems. Thanks to Ebay, places like The Dish Store and other retailers selling direct, you can do this. Perhaps it helps that you are a "long-time loyal customer", but the only deal I can get from E* is one month free on the AT200 package by paying annually. Taking one offer like this disqualifies you for any others, as I found out when trying to get a discount on a 2-Movie Pac. (I liken this to only being able to use one coupon on each visit to the grocery store.)

So as someone paying only for the service, I have to say that it is also a pain to be nickel and dimed to death by all the little fees Dish imposes (locals, DVR, etc.) and the constant increase in the annual package for what amounts to more and more commercials.

I recently moved up to an HD set and have been anguishing over the decision whether or not to get HD content from Dish. Is it really worth another 20 bucks a month when I can get some decent OTA HD on the local stations? Again, I look at the programming available versus the commercial content. And of course in my case it would also mean another $500 out of pocket for a new 722.

Not that I haven't tried to take advantage of some free upgrades like a SuperDish years ago to get locals which were then on 105. And recently the Dish'in It Up promo for a new HD setup. In each case I was disheartened with the process and/or the people they sent to do the work and canceled.

Bottom line, not everyone wants everything free. It isn't always the best value.

sigmtr

I agree. It is a service.

My cable company will give me as many HD boxes, HD DVR's, SD boxes, and SD DVR's as I want for free. I pay for the service, not the equipment.

I hear a lot on these boards that installs should not be free. Or free installs shouldn't include much. Well, most customers, especially those with cable, don't want to pay a few hundred dollars to switch to satellite. If they have cable, they don't have to pay for an install. A lot of people switch to satellite to save money. They expect to have the same level of service and usability that they did with cable. If the install and equipment is not free, people aren't going to switch. As simple as that. Cable does not require you to pay for equipment. So people aren't going to justify paying for the equipment necessary to receive satellite.

I don't know one person that would pay $875 for a Dish install.

That's interesting!!
My first dish install cost me $2800 !!!!!!!!!!!

fred

That's interesting!!
My first dish install cost me $2800 !!!!!!!!!!!

fred

My first cost $2100, & I worked for the company that I got it from & didn't have to pay labor, but it did include a 4DTV :)

When I worked for the cable company years ago, you paid a fair sized monthy rental on the plain-jane converters, I can only imagine the rental for a DVR

"And then there are a few folks like me who have never leased anything and paid for every darn piece of equipment in our systems."

Right on sigmtr, I'm one of those few and I DID THE INSTALL. Had to drive 125 miles because of a lying install co. (about their locations) and in addition to paying over 300 dollars for a 301 and a dish 500 they wouldn't even throw in a lousy 30 ft of RG6.

So popzezo, I for one don't feel your pain.

$540? lol I wish my dish bill was $45/month. with my (2) 622's & (1) 211 I run around $110/month. so they make money on me.

As others have pointed out, this equipment is leased so if I "upgrade" they get the old equipment back to recycle to some other customer ...and by upgrading me they are retaining a customer & yet again giving me more leased boxes that they will get back.

...Besides, what is wrong with asking for an upgrade or a discount? It's just like going to a car dealer or anywhere else & telling them you are leaving if they cannot meet your price. You act like it's criminal lol....It's not, it's human nature, it's economics...it's fun :)

Its the game customers play all the time.. whether its with the Sat companies, or the Cell phone game.. how many people switch up cell providers or get a new phone out of their companies when there commitments are up?

My first cost $2100, & I worked for the company that I got it from & didn't have to pay labor, but it did include a 4DTV :)

When I worked for the cable company years ago, you paid a fair sized monthy rental on the plain-jane converters, I can only imagine the rental for a DVR

When I started installing back in 2000 I heard of many customers that paid $800 for a 2700 receiver and upwardsof $4G for an install.

Charter charges $14.95 a month for its dvr lease.

Its the game customers play all the time.. whether its with the Sat companies, or the Cell phone game.. how many people switch up cell providers or get a new phone out of their companies when there commitments are up?

The problem with the cell providers is that the phones are only designed to last out the commitment. The last two times I renewed my Verizon account was because the phones were broken and I had a few months left on the commitment. The companies know it and encourage churn.

At least the sat receivers are still working, making it easier to sit tight. In addition, the E*/D* competition is set up so you can only jump once (more if you have access to Comcast or fios). Note that the Comcast deals require you to turn in your old equipment, thus making it expensive to go back.

"And then there are a few folks like me who have never leased anything and paid for every darn piece of equipment in our systems."

Right on sigmtr, I'm one of those few and I DID THE INSTALL. Had to drive 125 miles because of a lying install co. (about their locations) and in addition to paying over 300 dollars for a 301 and a dish 500 they wouldn't even throw in a lousy 30 ft of RG6.

So popzezo, I for one don't feel your pain.

Forgot to mention that I did the install because the local co. insisted a "free" install would have to be in the same location, using the existing cables as their previous install for the former owner. Their "previous install" was a dish NAILED TO A TREE and RG59 tied to the tree and running over a driveway then tied to a nail that was driven into the side of the house. I realize this was over five years ago and things may have improved, but anyone working for that co. will get a trespass notice if they ever set foot on our property. (and I think E* has made money on us from day one.)

One word.... Competition. All your comparison are bogus because DISH Network is a SERVICE not a device like a TV. Think of the cell phone industry. A cell phone or DISH reciever is useless unless you have the service or plan to sell the device. Free phones (or receivers) ... pay for service... pay only for the top of the line phones (or receivers).

Now for the real reason:
Verizon FIOS TV - $95 for HDTV AND 15Mbs FIOS Internet AND Phone with unlimited long distance! They will switch me for free and I will not get charged 2 months service like Dish does to new customers. Also the YES Network is included.. not that I care but others sure do. Let see PBS, WB and CW all in HD and all the HD sub channels not available from DISH!

I currently have dish but will switch to FIOS when I get an HD TV. FIOS has a much better HD picture and charges $0 for HD! Dish would have to give me a free HD-DVR and no charge per month for the HD package to even compare to Verizon FIOS... not to mention I get no discount now on my phone or DSL with Dish.

I think in 2 years there will not be a single Dish in the NYC metro FIOS areas. Dish has already scared off all the Yankee fans. Though there'll be a few NFL die hards who have Direct TV.

It's funny you bring up the cellphone comparison but don't take that thought to it's logical conclusion. Ever had a cellphone die? Ever have a case of cellphone envy? Of course you have. And If you stayed with a particular cellphone provider you're going to get charged for repairs and/or upgrades. If you don't like that, then you change cellphone providers.

In that thought process let's migrate it to the satellite industry. If your E* receiver dies or...God forbid...you get a case of envy because Joe-Blow down the street just got his kick-ass DVR that also works HD...you have to pay for an repair/upgrade. The only way things are going to change is if enough people go back to cable. Venting to CSR or installer isn't going to accomplish anything. Do you really and truly expect that installer to report back to whatever "higher authority" in the hopes things will change? Hell no!. If anything you open up the possibility of getting a perturbed tech or CSR...AND maybe getting short-changed on your install.

Once again...and to sum up. If you, as a customer, want things to change, let the pocket-book do the talking. Charlie will get the message if enough people migrate back.

as usual a very thick headed crowd.. my WHOLE point is STOP THINKING YOU ARE OWED SOMETHING.. your not .. your spoiled. you say this is all "service" its not, there is product involved here.. cell phones can be made a dime a dozon, hd dvr cant. this is in no way directed at the loyal customers... the others that will take advantage of the companies .. thats wrong in my mind.. guess i was brought up with morals.

Not just morals. You understand that there are inherent costs with said service. Labor...materials...receivers...etc. The whole, "I deserve...no...DEMAND...that I get things for free because I'm a "loyal customer" argument really holds no weight.

I keep coming back to the cellphone argument, I apologize. But it's the best and fairest comparison. You're not only paying for a service, but an actual product as well. Ever priced an I-phone? Do you think those babies are given away for free? And what if it breaks? Oh heck...since you're a "loyal customer" we'll just GIVE you another.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)