Coming back to *E, couple questions

nuttz565

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2009
colorado
So after getting a deal I couldn't pass up Im coming back over to *E from *D. I currently have the Genie with 3 wireless clients and Ive had no issues. Having 5 tuners has been very nice. Now my install with * E will contain a Hopper W/ Sling, a Super Joey & a wireless Joey. So here are some questions Im coming up with( Ive done research but just want some clarification)
1. Now with my setup Im getting I will have 5 Tuners( or four is PTAT is enabled) IF I turn off PTAT will I then be able to use all 5 tuners like I do now on *D? Could I say for instance have 3 tv's on live programing and record 2 shows at the same time?
2. I will be using a 4th tv in the basement and because Im getting a FREE PS4 in the deal the *E rep said I could download the Virtual app and use the PS4 for viewing tv. Now from what Ive read there is a monthly charge to use the app so would I be better off and just get an additional wireless Joey? Whats the benefit of using the app if you still have to pay a fee?
Thanks guys!

The Hopper has four (4) tuners not five. When PTAT is enabled, it uses one of those tuners to record all four of the Networks. (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX)
You said you are also getting a Super Joey. That will add two more tuners, for a total of 6 on your system.

The virtual Joey will cost the same as a Joey would. Benefit includes being able to turn it off for a month or two etc. when you know you don't need it, also makes it more portable. If you did that with a Joey you would have to return the Joey when you deactivated it.
The Virtual Joey will use one of your existing tuners.

Since you have no issues with your present set-up, think about it before you switch providers. I would say the same if someone was switching from DISH to Direct TV.

The Hopper has four (4) tuners not five. When PTAT is enabled, it uses one of those tuners to record all four of the Networks. (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX)
You said you are also getting a Super Joey. That will add two more tuners, for a total of 6 on your system.

The virtual Joey will cost the same as a Joey would. Benefit includes being able to turn it off for a month or two etc. when you know you don't need it, also makes it more portable. If you did that with a Joey you would have to return the Joey when you deactivated it.
The Virtual Joey will use one of your existing tuners.

Since you have no issues with your present set-up, think about it before you switch providers. I would say the same if someone was switching from DISH to Direct TV.
You need to clarify that the "4th" tuner on the Hopper is the OTA tuner if you get the OTA module.

So after getting a deal I couldn't pass up Im coming back over to *E from *D. I currently have the Genie with 3 wireless clients and Ive had no issues. Having 5 tuners has been very nice. Now my install with * E will contain a Hopper W/ Sling, a Super Joey & a wireless Joey. So here are some questions Im coming up with( Ive done research but just want some clarification)
1. Now with my setup Im getting I will have 5 Tuners( or four is PTAT is enabled) IF I turn off PTAT will I then be able to use all 5 tuners like I do now on *D? Could I say for instance have 3 tv's on live programing and record 2 shows at the same time?
2. I will be using a 4th tv in the basement and because Im getting a FREE PS4 in the deal the *E rep said I could download the Virtual app and use the PS4 for viewing tv. Now from what Ive read there is a monthly charge to use the app so would I be better off and just get an additional wireless Joey? Whats the benefit of using the app if you still have to pay a fee?
Thanks guys!
Paying the fee for a Virtual Joey,whether on the PlayStation or an LG TV,is the same difference as paying Directv for using a Samsung or Sony TV as an RVU client instead of getting a regular or wireless client.

Thanks guys!
Yes, you are correct if you do not enable PTAT you would have 5 tuners just like with your genie. Also as stated you could add OTA for an additional tuner on the Hopper w/sling. If you plan to use the basement TV often then yes I would get another wireless Joey as the monthly fee is the same, or if in range move the wireless joey to the basement when needed. What I did was to mirror the Hopper to the basement and pick up an extra remote, it works fine for the amount of times it is used.

Also, if more than one of the channels being tuned or recorded is a local (ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX) channel, then 1 tuner will only be used no matter how many local channels are being recorded/watched.

For instance, you could record all local news broadcasts at 6:00PM and you would still have 4 other tuners available.

The Hopper has 3 tuners and you can add an OTA module to get a fourth tuner that only does off air channels. The Super Joey adds 2 more tuners so the OP is correct in believing he will have 5 tuners available.

If you want a fourth TV hooked up you can either have another Wireless Joey or you can use the Virtual Joey app. Keep in mind that if you are leasing the Wireless Joey you will have to keep it active or you will have send it back to Dish. The benefit of the Virtual Joey is that you don't have to purchase anything and you have deactivate it whenever you want without having to worry about sending equipment back. The Virtual Joey is great for an extra room where you may not always watch TV and don't want to pay $7 when you don't use it.

You can also mirror off of the Hopper or Super Joey to that room but it can be a major pain to accomplish. You can also just bring the one Wireless Joey you have from room to room if you never watch TV in both rooms at the same time.

We have an OTA module so that we can watch and record the many extra channels that are available here in the Chicago area. Most of them are not available through satellite only.

if you have a spare PC from the past 3 to 5 years, it should be sufficient to use for Sling. Before I left Dish, I use to sling inside the house from a 722k, to my AMDx2 XP pc all the time (never perfect and not HD, but for basically free ... )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)