Coming over from Dish to DirecTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jchalk59

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
Hello,

I'm seriously considering coming over to DirecTV from Dish network. Dish appears to not offer nor want to offer 3D content in the near future. My pretty 3D television that I just bought is dying to show my glorious 3D content, so DirecTV is getting some serious consideration.

After being an otherwise happy Dish customer for a number of years--and one that was actually excited about the prospects of the Hopper/Joey system (the HDTVs scattered around my house wanted some HD love instead of getting the SD signal from my Dish 722), I'm and going to want to sign up for the "best and greatest" that DirecTV comes to offer. From research, it seems like that means I'll be getting the HR34 receiver and then the H25 HD Receivers around the house. 5 channels to record is more than enough for me.

As a Dish VIP 722 customer, is there anything that I'd be giving up from a technology standpoint by switching over? I know that I'll lose my slingbox functionality--but it looks like DirecTV's Nomad box might work for me if/when they add Android support. Is there anything else people are aware of???

Thanks,
--Jason

Hello,

My pretty 3D television that I just bought is dying to show my glorious 3D content

Is there anything else people are aware of???

Jason,

You could always get a 3D Blu-ray player (or PS3) and some 3D Blu-rays to really see some glorious, uncompressed 3D content on your pretty 3D TV. :)

I have bought a few, but over the past couple of years my threshold for owning physical content (and paying > $20 for one show/movie) has diminished. I'd rather watching something once and move onto something else. Plus, I'm really intrigued by ESPN3D.

Yeah that's pretty much my only options for my 3Dtv as a dish customer too. Getting a 3D bluray player and buying 3D movies obviously isn't what the OP wants though. Lets see, at least $100 for a 3D player($250 for a PS3) and about $30 a pop on 3D blurays. It's almost impossible to find 3D blurays to rent so unless the OP wants to watch the same thing over and over or doesn't have a problem with constantly spending $30 on disks only to watch them a couple times that's not really an alternative to 3D channels. I do have a PS3 and a standalone 3D Bluray player along with a couple 3D Blurays. Since starting Netflix about 4 years ago I pretty much refuse to buy movies because I don't like to watch them over and over again.

With no good rental services besides over priced PPV and no 3D on Dish that means I don't get to enjoy the 3D aspect of my tv(except for 3D PS3 games which are awesome) even though I would like to.

I have bought a few, but over the past couple of years my threshold for owning physical content (and paying > $20 for one show/movie) has diminished. I'd rather watching something once and move onto something else. Plus, I'm really intrigued by ESPN3D.

Ahh you posted while I was typing my reply but you basically came to the same point I was trying to make.

How many 3D channels does D* have so far? ESPN 3D, n3D, and 3net along with PPV/DirectTV CInema 3D channels? I can see how buying 3D Blu-rays can be costly, though. However, I think the quality of them will be best.

If you cannot "live" (for lack of a better term...LOL) without 3D channels and are that unhappy, then you are paying for what you sub for....So, if it makes you happy to get 3D channels, then you can make the switch if you want to do so.

Last edited:
King3pj, it sounds like you and I are making the jump to DirectTv!

Not any time soon. I still have about 9 months left on my contract with Dish but I will probably switch to get promotions 3D and the whole home system sometime after my contract is up. Mojo, I definitely can live without 3D channels. That doesn't mean I don't want them. I don't think I would switch for that alone but there are other benefits to switching providers every now and then too.

You're right about bluray 3D quality though. Cable or Sat can't touch it just like they can't touch bluray's regular 1080p picture quality. I would be happy if either Netflix or Blockbuster by mail would get a solid 3D catalog (Blockbuster has a pitiful collection and last time I checked Netflix had none) but until then some 3D channels would be nice.

As for the part about Directv only having 3 3D channels, that's 3 more than Dish.

Last edited:
Not any time soon. I still have about 9 months left on my contract with Dish but I will probably switch to get promotions 3D and the whole home system sometime after my contract is up. Mojo, I definitely can live without 3D channels. That doesn't mean I don't want them. I don't think I would switch for that alone but there are other benefits to switching providers every now and then too.

You're right about bluray 3D quality though. Cable or Sat can't touch it just like they can't touch bluray's regular 1080p picture quality. I would be happy if either Netflix or Blockbuster by mail would get a solid 3D catalog (Blockbuster has a pitiful collection and last time I checked Netflix had none) but until then some 3D channels would be nice.

As for the part about Directv only having 3 3D channels, that's 3 more than Dish.

EXACTLY!

Keep in mind that although 5 tuners are enough for you, the H25's cannot pause live TV, without first hitting record. When you do so, you will use one of the five tuners from the HR-34. You'll likely pay the same monthly if you upgrade the H-25's for HR-24's. The HR-24's will also give you YouTube & Pandora. They'll hit you up a little more upfront, but whatever it is, it would be far cheaper to "upgrade" when you sign up, rather than waiting until you became a customer.

Mojo, I definitely can live without 3D channels.

I really did not mean live in an offensive way. That is why I used the quotes around live along with LOL. I know that online language can be taken the wrong way when being read instead of hearing it from someone.

For the last statement, I was honestly just inquiring about the number of 3D channels D* has so far if anyone took it the wrong way.

I had both dish and direct at same time and i decided to leave dish and stay with direct.direct is so much farther ahead than dish imo and thats the best move i made :)

Last edited:
technology on receivers,treating their customers good and giving customers discounts on programming and many more :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)