Coming Soon: The DISH Sling Adapter!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Got this overnight... so I am passing it along. :)

We are thrilled to introduce the latest addition to our TV Everywhere™ line of products – the Sling Adapter! With the affordable and easy-to-use Sling Adapter and a broadband Internet connection, DISH Network® customers can view SD and HD content from their ViP® 722 or ViP 722k receiver on their computer or compatible mobile device, anytime and anywhere!

Customers can use their Sling Adapter to watch local news from back home while on the road, catch up on DVR content while waiting at the airport, even watch programming in places in their home they couldn’t before because a receiver is not installed in the room.

In early November 2010, we plan to make the Sling Adapter available to purchase through Authorized Retailers. Please continue reading for more details on pricing, availability and installation considerations.

Sling Adapter Features
• Give Sling® Functionality to a ViP 722 or ViP 722k Receiver – Enjoy TV Everywhere on a broadband Internetconnected computer or compatible mobile device. Watch one program at home using the TV1 tuner, while someone
else views a program remotely using the TV2 tuner (during remote viewing using the Sling Adapter, a screen saver will appear on TV2).
• Two Ways to Watch Live TV or DVR Content
o Watch Online on a Computer – Access content using the Sling Adapter through their online customer account at DISH Satellite TV - $24.99 & HD Free For Life - Let's Watch TV.
o Watch on a Mobile Device – Download the free DISH Remote Access app for the iPhone® and iPod touch®, and Blackberry® and Android™ mobile devices (planned to be available at launch).

Please note that customers must log into DISH Remote Access at least once from a computer before logging in through the mobile application.

Stay tuned for information about compatibility with other mobile devices, such as the iPad™, in the future.

• Sleek and Small – Because it’s only about 8” x 4” x ½” in size, it can easily sit on top of the customer’s DISH receiver.
• “Plug-and-Play” Installation – Simply connect the Sling Adapter to the receiver with the built-in USB cable.

Pricing and Availability
The Sling Adapter is planned to be available for purchase at a MSRP of $99 from Authorized Hardware Providers in early November 2010.

Please stay tuned for more details regarding the specific availability date. Both new and existing residential and commercial customers may purchase and install the Sling Adapter.

• Broadband Internet Connection Required – To install a Sling Adapter on their compatible receiver, customers must have a high-speed/broadband Internet connection on their home network.

o Network Bandwidth Recommendations
HD viewing: 3 Mbps or higher
SD viewing: 600 Kbps or higher
Mobile viewing: 150 Kbps or higher
o Connectivity Test Tool – To ensure their broadband Internet connection meets the minimum bandwidth recommendations for using the Sling Adapter, customers may visit http://dishconnectivity.sling.com/. This tool will test the speed of the customer’s home broadband connection and the connectivity of their router.

• Software Requirements for Online Viewing – The following operating systems and Internet browsers are recommended for optimal online viewing on a computer:

o PC Requirements
Operating System – Microsoft Windows XP; Windows Vista; or Windows 7 (with latest updates)
Internet Browser – Internet Explorer 7 or higher; or Firefox Version 3 or higher
o Mac Requirements
Operating System – Mac OS 10.5.7 (Leopard) or later
Internet Browser – Safari Version 3 or higher; or Firefox Version 3 or higher
• Online Customer Account Required – To access live TV and DVR content from their Sling Adapter on a computer or mobile device, customers must have an active customer online account. If they do not have one, eligible customers can create one by visiting DISH Satellite TV - $24.99 & HD Free For Life - Let's Watch TV and clicking on the “My Account” link in the top right- hand corner of the homepage.
• Not Compatible with ViP 622 DVR Receivers – Please note that the Sling Adapter is not compatible with model ViP 622 DVR receivers. The Sling Adapter is only compatible with model ViP 722 and ViP 722k receivers.

Wow why do they now say it won't work with the 622? I waited all this time to get one, I could have had a normal slingbox already. I wonder if it will ever work with the 622?

Honestly (my opinion) you are better of with a stand along Slingbox...

While a stand along Slingbox might be harder to hook up then plugging in one USB ports a regular Slingbox is better because...

1) If you leave DISH in the future you can still use it.
2) You can use the real Slingplayer software and not be forced to watch through the DISH Network website... (I HATE the DISH Network website and I am not giving my kids or friends access to my full DISH Network account so they can use my Slingbox.)
3) If you decide to upgrade to the next generation receiver from DISH the standalone will work with it, while it could be ages before they build in support for the USB adapter much like the 922 does not support GoogleTV intergration currently.

I am hearing no that it will never with with the 622 unfortunately. :(

Folks- we knew this since CES last year when the product was announced for 722 and 722K only. They could have changed that, I suppose but nothing was ever said that it would be compatible with the 622.

I'm still using the original Sling box so having HD capability is why I want to upgrade.

Would this work better or the same as the SlingBox Solo that I have hooked up to my 722K?

Ditto: I have had a Slingbox Solo on my 722 for at least a year or two now, and love it. The UI on the Windows Slingplayer app brings up a photo-realistic image of the 722's remote, so use is intuitive. Unless this Sling Adapter has a "killer app" that the standard off-the-shelf Slingbox Solo or HD can't deliver, it seems to be a step backwards.

I just wish they would hurry up and release the catcher. I would like to have my 922 able to be used by another TV.

Unless this Sling Adapter has a "killer app" that the standard off-the-shelf Slingbox Solo or HD can't deliver, it seems to be a step backwards.
The ability to use TV2 as the source (and without a TV2 IR adapter) might be considered a major advantage over the Solo.

tempting... iPhone streaming via the Dish app works well for me except for the lag. add this to my 722k, move sling box to upstairs 625... more to ponder now. if Dish would update the iPad app for streaming - my wife would make the choice for me ;-).

The price will attract many. Another tread talks about HDHomeRun and I see that they have a product coming out for 79.99. I think Dish Network is trying to release something to market to keep churn rates down.

The sling part of the 922 is really bad. I get lag with the remote commands and the streaming is just horrible plus no real hd yet.

Scott doe this mean that dish is ready to roll the monster 922 update that will get the sling player to finally work the way it should?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts