Comments about Mark Cuban Answers

gutter

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 26, 2004
I agree that we shouldn't junk up the pure question and answer thread with our continuing comments about what Mr. Cuban says. However, there should be somewhere we can express our opinion either in agreement or not.

For example on the HDLITE issue, I still have his opening comments on DVR at the August conference where he expressed a concern about the dumbing down of quality. I agree with that Mr. Cuban...not the one we just heard on the subject. If we give and wait for millions of subs what incentive do the satellite companies or cable have in improving signal. As he himself said, the manufacturers keep making the sets better with greater brightness and contrast ratios, but unless you watch using a HD DVD or OTA you will not see it.

However, this is a great opportunity to have him here, but he is just another HD enthusiast, like we are. We can agree or disagree. I am sure he understands that. I also understand his feelings about not answering any questions on a certain subject. I just hope that Scott keeps the dialogue alive on both sides of the issue so that Mr. Cuban can read or not read it.

Last edited:
Yes we will be doing a few things which will allow you to discuss Marks comments, and we will also be giving Mark a place where he can bring his own discussions to the table.

Todays Q&A for Mark was a special for SatelliteGuys members to interact with Mark and for him to interact with SatelliteGuys members. I do appreciate the time he took to answer a lot of your questions. but I don't want him to feel pressured to answer questions everytime he comes.

I do hope Mark can learn as much from you guys as you can from Mark.

As I mentioned Mark will be stopping in from time to time to talk about HDNet and other items which he feels may be of interest to SatelliteGuys members. We are honored to have him here and look forward to seeing what he has in store for us.

Finally if you have any ideas how we do a better job with our HDNet forum (or any of our forums) please let us know. We have built this site listening to you our members, and perhaps thats the reason SatelliteGuys is so damn good. :)

gutter,

i really dont think mark cuban has a problem. he answered questions like a down to earth pittsburgher, we dont white wash answers where we are from. he basically said you are early adopters, you are getting it as is for now. dont like it , move on.

hell he was honest , correct? i , personally thought it was a breath of fresh air. HONESTY! he also said ota isnt true hd, and i agree.

the best answer he gave ....... he has DIRECTV at home, and sees NOTHING WRONG with PQ, i fell off my chair laughing. imagine that the KING of HD has DIRECTV and loves it!!!! so much for all the posts about voom and dish PQ.

you go mark, show em what a millhunks sons "life attitude " is all about!!!

I would not expect him to write poorly about a key partner re HD Lite. I would hope for Directv subs that when Directv launches its two satellites next year that they will bring PQ enhancement.

I had a Mitsubishi 55" HDTV that allowed for split-screen viewing of two component sources. I had a bake-off between Comcast and Directv in my house for one month. When I consider my investment in HDTV, I want the best. I thought I had sworn off cable; but Comcast does provide an excellent HD service. That was three years ago and I have not had Directv since.

Having moved onto a Samsung DLP two years ago, I have solidified my preference for the best in HD quality that I can get. I do have a JVC DVHS 5U deck and I will get a Blu-ray player over the summer.

I have been watching HD for over four years now. I do have an expectation of what it should look like especially when it is a pay service. With Comcast doing its job right, I actually like my cable company.

dragon002 said:
the best answer he gave ....... he has DIRECTV at home, and sees NOTHING WRONG with PQ, i fell off my chair laughing. imagine that the KING of HD has DIRECTV and loves it!!!! so much for all the posts about voom and dish PQ.

Same here. Also shaking my head... Mark - when you get E* hooked up let us know what you see... As I told E* when they called me, I can see a difference.

G.

dragon002 said:
gutter,
i really dont think mark cuban has a problem. he answered questions like a down to earth pittsburgher, we dont white wash answers where we are from. he basically said you are early adopters, you are getting it as is for now. dont like it , move on.
hell he was honest , correct? i , personally thought it was a breath of fresh air. HONESTY! he also said ota isnt true hd, and i agree.

Hey guy. I am from Erie. Not that far way and we have the same "No sh*t" values you do in Pittsburgh. We just don't have the OTA HD choices.

And most of us are Steeler fans too.

dragon002 said:
gutter,
Makes you wonder, doesn't it. Considering he also was quoted as saying this:
HDTV buyers get fuzzy deal, Cuban says

Scott

bjf said:
I read Cubans post.
Seemed pretty full of vinegar and quite bitter.
bjf

You better read it again. He sounds to me to be truthful and honest.

Sorry to get off post, but Scott & Mark set this up to be a question and answer to Mark area. Many of us appreciate that, and look forward to using it as such, and don't care to read peoples opinions because they don't like Mark's answers. Please keep your opinions to yourselves. Mark is the leader in HD programing and his being part of this web site is important, lets not ruin a good thing.

lou_do said:
Sorry to get off post, but Scott & Mark set this up to be a question and answer to Mark area. Many of us appreciate that, and look forward to using it as such, and don't care to read peoples opinions because they don't like Mark's answers. Please keep your opinions to yourselves. Mark is the leader in HD programing and his being part of this web site is important, lets not ruin a good thing.

Exactly right. Although I am pretty sure Mark can handle himself just fine in a thread full of video/audio geeks. You gotta expect a few people to be out of line- this is teh intranets after all! :D

Mcuban said:
Honestly, Im pretty tired of this HD Lite stuff. Ifyou want true HD, go buy a D5 playback device or an HDCam playback device (low end is about 14k). Then we will be happy to sell you HDCam or D5 versions of our content. You supply the tapes and we will charge you 30 bucks to dupe our shows.
then you will have real HD.
Until then, as I stated on another post, there are going to be experiments done with codecs, encoding, security, bandwidth optimization and the settings of each , uniquely and in combination.
There is going to be variability on movies not shot in HD and even some in those that are.
There is as much variability in picture quality based on the display device you are using as in the settings on the carrier side.
For the HD forums, where people like to show how "in the know" they think they are, its like the topic of the moment.
Get over it. ATSC isnt true HD. The variability in distribution quality is based on dozens of variables. If you put 20 different displays in a room using a single feed from any HD provider, on any HD network, you are going to see variances in pq
this is officially the last "hdlite" response i will offer

HOW THINGS CHANGE

i guess you are a man of your words

i forgot you have the money to purchase expensive equipment for true HD

By Kimberly S. Johnson Denver Post
Beverly Hills, Calif. - Consumers are getting a raw deal when it comes to viewing the best quality of high-definition television possible, said Mark Cuban, co-founder and president of Denver-based HD.Net. Speaking to more than 200 members of the television-manufacturing industry last week during an HDTV conference, Cuban said most HD content is compressed or made smaller, underutilizing HDTV sets capable of showing programming with extremely high resolution.

"It's all really depressed derivatives of what we really could see," he said.

Cuban was the keynote speaker for the conference sponsored by DisplaySearch, an Austin, Texas, market-research and analysis firm for the TV-display industry.

Cable and satellite companies are compressing HD video so they can fit and send more programming over their networks. Picture quality is being sacrificed and will continue to be sacrificed, Cuban said.

"It's your turn for your industry to stand up and say something, or else you're going to be the redheaded stepchildren that keep on getting kicked around," he said.

He urged manufacturers to speak up and demand that cable, satellite and even movie companies allow for the picture quality the sets are designed to show.

"Right now, everybody is looking at compression to squeeze more channels in. No one is talking about using compression to come out with a better picture," he said. "It means all that work you're putting into picture quality is going to become worthless."

Nearly 2 million HDTVs have been sold this year, up 28 percent from all of 2004, according to the NPD Group, a market-research firm.

Manufacturers need to have more control over how HD content is displayed in retail showrooms. Cuban said 15 percent to 17 percent of people who purchase HDTVs return them because they're not satisfied with their viewing experience.

"That goes to presentation on the salesroom floor," he said. "Showing decent standard definition and amazing high-def, you're going to sell more and consumers are going to keep them."

but then you want us to call comcast to seal the deal sooner.

but then again didn't we do the same thing before..........

but i understand its all about the money......

thanks MR CUBAN

spindoctor said:
HOW THINGS CHANGE
Beverly Hills, Calif. - Consumers are getting a raw deal when it comes to viewing the best quality of high-definition television possible, said Mark Cuban, co-founder and president of Denver-based HD.Net. Speaking to more than 200 members of the television-manufacturing industry last week during an HDTV conference, Cuban said most HD content is compressed or made smaller, underutilizing HDTV sets capable of showing programming with extremely high resolution.
Cuban was the keynote speaker for the conference sponsored by DisplaySearch, an Austin, Texas, market-research and analysis firm for the TV-display industry.
Cable and satellite companies are compressing HD video so they can fit and send more programming over their networks. Picture quality is being sacrificed and will continue to be sacrificed, Cuban said.
"It's your turn for your industry to stand up and say something, or else you're going to be the redheaded stepchildren that keep on getting kicked around," he said.
He urged manufacturers to speak up and demand that cable, satellite and even movie companies allow for the picture quality the sets are designed to show.
"Right now, everybody is looking at compression to squeeze more channels in. No one is talking about using compression to come out with a better picture," he said. "It means all that work you're putting into picture quality is going to become worthless."
Nearly 2 million HDTVs have been sold this year, up 28 percent from all of 2004, according to the NPD Group, a market-research firm.
Manufacturers need to have more control over how HD content is displayed in retail showrooms. Cuban said 15 percent to 17 percent of people who purchase HDTVs return them because they're not satisfied with their viewing experience.
"That goes to presentation on the salesroom floor," he said. "Showing decent standard definition and amazing high-def, you're going to sell more and consumers are going to keep them."
thanks MR CUBAN

You know, dude, surely there is a better way to express this than calling the guy out on the mat. I mean, we are not kids here (well, I'd like to think). If you've got some contradictory quotes from Mark, why not post them and ask him about it and what changed his mind?

Last edited:
sonnyboy11 said:
You know, dude, surely there is a better way to express this than calling the guy out on the mat. I mean, we are not kids here (well, I'd like to think). If you've got some contradictory quotes from Mark, why not post them and ask him about it and what changed his mind?

well ....what you know

1.who are you to tell me how to express myself.
2.if you read his post [READ]he said simply, thats the last post he will make about
HD lite.(so what's there to ask)
3.FYI when he was starting out with HDNET he was asking us everyday for our support ,

and to call the providers so they can carry his channel.(but then you wouldn't know that) do you want to see all the posts?
4.did you read(READ) the article,did you see his quotes( and you are asking me to post some contradictory quotes?)
5.that #11 next to boy ,would that be your age?
6.good for you wanting to remain a supporter of mark cuban.

sonnyboy would you pleaaase paass the jeelly.

spindoctor said:
well ....what you know
1.who are you to tell me how to express myself.
2.if you read his post [READ]he said simply, thats the last post he will make about
HD lite.(so what's there to ask)
3.FYI when he was starting out with HDNET he was asking us everyday for our support ,
and to call the providers so they can carry his channel.(but then you wouldn't know that) do you want to see all the posts?
4.did you read(READ) the article,did you see his quotes( and you are asking me to post some contradictory quotes?)
5.that #11 next to boy ,would that be your age?
6.good for you wanting to remain a supporter of mark cuban.
sonnyboy would you pleaaase paass the jeelly.

a little over the top , dont you think??

When are we going to have a thread about comments of the comments to Mark Cubans answers????????

dragon
now you wouldn't be another MC supporter, would you?

but then who cares.

as far as for your comment [he was full of fresh air] you made me laugh

he is full allright.....

Comparing Direct Sat HDTV and OTA.

I was able to switch to HD FOX by using channel 89, the FOX West Coast Feed.

The area I am in has like and automatic waiver thingy, and I had it turned on on Friday of last week. YAYYY!!

So FOXW Over the Sat.
CBS OTA.

Comparing 2 football games.

As of right now OTA completely owns what FOXW was pumping out.

I don't know who too fault, FOXW or DirectTV, but there was a noticeable difference between the two.

And Cuba as in the past been quite clear that nobody as of yet has seen true HD.

Hmmmm. I got the sense he was sick of answering HD lite answers. If you think about it he has no control over it. He provides a good signal and the distributors do what they want to it. Aim your wrath at the guys who are butchering the resolution, not him.

This is the guy that fought to get HD programming for viewing while everyone else was dragging their feet and not delivering a lot. He should be commended, not attacked. Send your hatemail to Charlie, Rupert, or the wireheads if you want to make a difference.

lou_do said:

Bullsh*t. I opened this thread for just that purpose to debate and discuss what he says. Because he is a billionaire doesn't make is opinion as the only one or make it right. he has had a lot of opinions and now on both sides of the same HDLITE issue. I think it is important to note that. He shouldn't be given a pass but I also agree that we should not muck up the Q&A thread with our comments. There are other places to do just that like this thread. So don't tell us what we can or cannot do as long as are following protocol.

spindoctor said:
HOW THINGS CHANGE
thanks MR CUBAN

Thanks Spin...I am glad you found this. iwas looking for it. Maybe the other ass kissers just prefer to forget.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)