Comments Needed: DishONLINE Reviews

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Used DishONLINE for a couple PPV movies. When it's family night and there's not much family choices on the regular PPV channels, this comes in very handy.

Granted, it takes 12 hours at my 768Kbps to download, so a day's lead time is necessary, but it works pretty well!

If the pricing would come down further, like $1.99 or less, then my family would use this service pretty frequently. We'd also likely consider ponying up more $ for a faster internet connection as well.

We use Clearwire, so it'd be interesting to see if DISH and Clearwire could work on a bundling package that offers greater speeds for the same price as the 768Kbps for DISH customers. That would be sweet and likely to increase the use of the PPV selections.

Interestingly there is no FAP on Clearwire, or at least not on my service.

Just wanted to echo earlier remark about the trouble of connecting to broadband internet:
I am fortunate the the 722 in the office is just a few feet from the internet connection and router. As for my other HD DVR's, they are not connected because of the pain in the a** it would be. AND DON'T even think about wireless as the limited bit rate would make downloading an eternal JOKE, especially HD!

If Dish is serious about DishONLINE and really want it to take off, they MUST, at the time of installation, provide all the hardware (routers, cables, etc.) for those current broadband subscribers to make it work for all TV's in the house because Joe Blow and Joe Sixpack (the same person?) won't even have a clue how to get it connected and certainly won't go to the trouble.

If Dish were a private company, they probably would provide whatever it takes (except the subscription to broadband where they don't have a partner) to get their HD DVR's connected to broadband and would have moved to an all MPEG4 service for the entire system. But Dish, like Direct TV and other companies, have to answer to Wall Street who have no patience for spending in the short term for profits in the long run. Wall Street is obsessed with satellite's cost of acquiring a customer and other expenditures, yet both companies are doing well financially (yes, even Dish's bad quarter doesn't even come close to going out of business) and could afford it. But they are a slave to the stock price, and that matters to Wall Street more than the profits! This is why several companies publicly discuss going private, to escape the tyranny of Wall Street. Dish has to provide all hardware that is needed to the customer if they ever want DishONLINE to even have a chance, and that goes for Direct TV, as well.

Just wanted to echo earlier remark about the trouble of connecting to broadband internet:
I am fortunate the the 722 in the office is just a few feet from the internet connection and router. As for my other HD DVR's, they are not connected because of the pain in the a** it would be. AND DON'T even think about wireless as the limited bit rate would make downloading an eternal JOKE, especially HD!

Actually most wireless is 11Mb/sec and higher and the highest I have seen people say they downloaded stuff from DishOnline is like 5Mb/sec, so that should be no problem.

I've not read through whole thread yet, but for me the tv entertainment part works well, downloads are fast. I have not ordered any ppv on it yet, only the free stuff. Most of what I see on the free side is very short clips of programs, most of which are hardly worth fooling with. Anybody else notice the amount of short clips on there? Kind of a joke to me. Who wants to watch 3 minutes of this and 6 minutes of that? Sorry if this was already brought up.

Actually most wireless is 11Mb/sec and higher and the highest I have seen people say they downloaded stuff from DishOnline is like 5Mb/sec, so that should be no problem.

I'm sorry. You're right. I was thinking of file transfers. But still too much money on my end, and I already have a long list of other things to do around the house. My real plan is have a wired network. Very easy to do and much LESS expensive and more reliable in this house and will meet my needs for file transfers. Yes, I really do need that for video transfers to other PC's and media center HDD. However, the one thing I don't have right now is the time. But I shall get to it before the end of the decade.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)