Commercial Install Advise (Techs or Equiv) Only Please

snatale1

Original poster
Dec 8, 2005
Richmond, VA
Me and my buddy are both DNS (contractor) techs. we've wired up a couple small complexes on the side generally 8 units per bldg or less for svc. It's very easy to push in this area (Richmond, VA) because Comcast here is like 5 years behind (serious). We've been putting up 1000+'s w/DPP44's which covers all our bases in this area. Has anybody tried using more than 3 DPP44's at a time? 12 outlets has always been enough...SO FAR but we'd like to be able to approach bigger complexes but don't want to tell people they need a dish per 12 apts. Are there any other commercial solutions other than head ends?

Yes, you can technically have as many DPP44 switches installed to one dish as you want. The only limit you need to worry about is that you cannot Trunk more than 3 together. With the proper combination of signal amps and power pass splitters (rated for at least 900 - 2150MHz) you can have many sets of DPP44 switches as you want (within reason of course). For example, lets say you want to be able to run 48 dual tuner receivers.

Bring the 4 lines down from your 1000+ dish (119,110,129, 118.7) to 4 10-14dB signal amplifiers (I think there is even a 4 channel amp you can get for this purpose). Run the four lines from the signal amps to 4 4-way power pass splitters, and run one line from each of the splitters to the inputs of your 4 sets of trunked DPP44 switches.

You can do the same with pretty much as large of a splitter as you want, just make sure you have enough signal amplification as you need to overcome the signal loss of the splitters. Keep in mind as you do larger apartment complexes that you may need to overcome signal loss due to long cable runs as well. Any run over 200 feet will need to be amplified separately (after the 44 switch) to ensure that the receiver gets a suitable signal. a good rule of thumb is to make sure that every receiver has a signal strength of at least -50dBs (as measured by any suitable signal meter) on most transponders.

I once saw a Dish document that shows using DP splitters (single port power passing 2 Ghz splitter) between the dish and two banks of DPP44 switches with no amplifiers. That would give you 24 outlets at the same cost per outlet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)