Commercial volume control

There was a software enhancement release to increase the responsiveness of the pause and mute buttons on the remote. Now when a commercial comes on the mute button and pause button are a whole 500ms faster!

I think I'm going to program a button into my Harmony 880 that will take the volume down by 5 and another to bring it back up by 5. Or.... maybe one that takes it down by 5, waits 60 seconds, and then takes it up by 5 again.

I'm just getting tired of getting blasted out of my socks by the commercials. Especially one particular one that ends with

"DOT COM"

Sheeesh.... that one has some bad dubbing.....

I was joking.

Honestly I don't want any sort of volume leveling software to be released if it's on all the time. I have surround sound that has a built in sound leveling feature, that at night is great. I would not want it on all the time especially for shows and movies that are in DD 5.1.

If they release sound leveling software there needs to be a corresponding button on the remote to turn it off and on.

I've thought about programming a command on my harmony to turn the volume down and up. That really isn't a bad idea. Maybe a command to lower volume and skip ahead 6 times, then another button to return the volume. I think I'll try that out.

The really stupid part of all this is, that it is the DISH NETWORK INSERTED COMMERCIALS at the "local insertion points" that are the absolute worst offenders. If they would back off on those (and they CAN, it is THEIR commercial inserts!), most likely everyone would stop complaining.

Maybe I am crazy, but with the right processing at Dishes end they could have constant volume levels without comprimising the dynamic range of the show that is being aired... I am sure the software option is better or cheaper, but orban makes some good processing equiptment that could really help with the loud commercials and audio... CC

I was joking.

Honestly I don't want any sort of volume leveling software to be released if it's on all the time. I have surround sound that has a built in sound leveling feature, that at night is great. I would not want it on all the time especially for shows and movies that are in DD 5.1.

If they release sound leveling software there needs to be a corresponding button on the remote to turn it off and on.

I've thought about programming a command on my harmony to turn the volume down and up. That really isn't a bad idea. Maybe a command to lower volume and skip ahead 6 times, then another button to return the volume. I think I'll try that out.

Every remote has that already: Volume up/down and mute. Hopefully any solution alleviates the need to locate the remote after jumping 10 feet out of your seat when the volume "changes". I understood that in the menu you would be able to turn off the leveling software.

Now if the software DISH is talking about recognizes when the audio stream changes from 5.1 to 2.0 stereo and has a corresponding drop in volume that may be useful.

I already programmed a skip ahead button on my Harmony, maybe I need to turn it into a macro for 4-8 skips instead.

The really stupid part of all this is, that it is the DISH NETWORK INSERTED COMMERCIALS at the "local insertion points" that are the absolute worst offenders. If they would back off on those (and they CAN, it is THEIR commercial inserts!), most likely everyone would stop complaining.

Normally I would +1 but since we are talking about how much the volume jumps when a DISH commercial comes on +10:):)

Now if the software DISH is talking about recognizes when the audio stream changes from 5.1 to 2.0 stereo and has a corresponding drop in volume that may be useful.

The offensive commercials, including the DISH ones :mad: seem to always be in 2.0, therefor could a software fix limit only the stereo 2.0 levels and leave the surround encoded audio alone?

Maybe I am crazy, but with the right processing at Dishes end they could have constant volume levels without comprimising the dynamic range of the show that is being aired... I am sure the software option is better or cheaper, but orban makes some good processing equiptment that could really help with the loud commercials and audio... CC
According to the last Charlie Chat, Charlie said they were not allowed to alter the signal of the program providers by contract.

They are in fact "altering the signal of the program providers," namely by inserting THEIR DAMNABLY LOUD COMMERCIALS at various points. I guess the contract allows them to do that.

(excuse my Francàis)

(Also, I never use large or bold fonts and am normally irritated when they are used in forum posts, however when describing Dish inserted commercials I make an exception.)

Last edited:
According to the last Charlie Chat, Charlie said they were not allowed to alter the signal of the program providers by contract.

Excuse me?! They alter it on all channels as a matter of course -- they cut the hell out of the resolution and/or bitrate!