Comparing Hopper and Direct TV systems

Status
Please reply by conversation.

its4us2think

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
I have been with Dish for a while, when asked about the Hopper, I was told that I'd have to pay $300+installation+24mo contract. My main interest for going with hopper was streaming it to additional tvs without bulky boxes or wiring. I have 722 from Dish now, but I have stopped using it for second tv as it is just SD. I would like all recordings to be in single place and as small box as possible for second or third tv.

That made me think if it is going to be some advantage going into DirectTV. I know that DirectTV is probably little more expensive in terms of programming. I pay $50+ for my services now. It may go up by upward of $10 if I switch.

Any suggestion or cautions on trying to switch?

If you want to stay, cancel anyway and you'll get new customer offers within a day or two. Switching will save money, but you lose quite a few basic HD channels and gain lots of sports. Otherwise equipment and service is about the same. If you want to pause live tv on the 2nd and 3rd ones, you'll need DVRs rather than receivers.

If you want to stay, cancel anyway and you'll get new customer offers within a day or two. Switching will save money, but you lose quite a few basic HD channels and gain lots of sports. Otherwise equipment and service is about the same. If you want to pause live tv on the 2nd and 3rd ones, you'll need DVRs rather than receivers.

There are rumors of the MRV clients (C31?) in beta? (and that would support remote TV's to pause/trick-play).. but if you are coming from Dish (as I did ~5 months ago)... unless you are just starved for tuners, the HR34 is what you'd think you'd want (its the newest.. and always best to get the new customer deal on the newest gizmo), but its SW is still frankly under development (ie. all the customers are unwilling beta testers). I'd hang out with Dish another 2-3 months.. check back to see how the HR34 SW is doing, and see if the MRV clients are in actual release... and then make a decision.

I just had D* installed last weekend. I haven't had any problems with the HR34. It is really nice having 5 tuners and not having to worry about any conflicts. As far as pausing live T.V. on the other HD boxes, just hit the record button and when you come back to watch again, start watching your recording. There is always a free tuner for recording.
I didn't have the hopper with Dish, just had a 722 and a couple of HD boxes. It is my understanding though, that each Joey when in use, is actually taking up a tuner on your Hopper DVR. With D*, the HD boxes have their own tuners, which for me is a much better set up.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)