Compass / Dishes

Status
Please reply by conversation.

techno935

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 27, 2006
Pompano Beach, FL
Its time for me to ask a damn good question, and I'm ready for a damn good answer too.

Why aren't dishes made with a built in compass? Wouldn't that solve a TON of alignment issues? I mean, it would work in the dark ages without satellite meters and all, but think about it. A dish with a built in compass that points to true north.

You can't use a compass any where near metal at all, if you do it will through you WAY off!

There was an interesting dish that was offered a few years ago called the SolarSat. It used the sun shadow for azimuth and elevation alignment. Never really caught on, but neverless a very interesting concept!

Thanks PSB. Now, another unrelated question.

I see LO freqs. like 10750 which is used with FTA mostly. What is up with the 9.750 and the 10.060 stuff. Is that european sats? Do i need to worry about that? Or just get an LNB with an LO of 10.750

Currently my Sony 18" DBS dish (which I got from a dumpster) modulates for 11.250 Ghz. Not what I want cause it only tunes in DBS sats. Just want some insight on the freqs if you could. Thanks.

Yes a Universal LNBF uses 9750-10600 mainly used in the rest of the world, the only extra channel that it will bring you in this country is Cubavision on Pas 9 @ 58ºw

DBS LNB's are 11250

Standards are 10750

A compass can be used to get you in the general area of the satellite, but you are right you are best to use a LIVE transponder and the signal quality meter to point a dish!

wantogetstarted said:
I have a question. Isn't this all taken care of by the LNB? Will it make a difference in the way I tune in transponders from the satellite if I have a universal or standard LNB?
Both the linear universals and linear standards will get the linear Ku satellites we are looking at. The difference is that the universal has added bandwidth, below the "regular" ku frequencies, which is used in Europe. Only one satellite visible from the States uses that low band.

You'll have to set up a universal in your antenna setup screen with a L.O. (Local Oscillator) frequency of 9750/10600, whereas with the standard, the L.O. is 10750. Other factors to consider are that some inline signal meters (maybe most) won't work with a universal LNBF, and you can't use an external 22k switch when a universal is in the mix.

Never tried it but when using a UNIVERSAL LNBF with a satellite meter one could change the L.O. (LNBF Freq.) to 10600 with 22Khz tone ON, and it should function normally!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts