Complete Digital In Columbus, Ohio

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JayPSU

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 22, 2006
Westerville, Ohio
Does anyone have any idea when Time Warner will finally wsitch us over to digital completely (channels 2 - 100)? It seems that NE Ohio has switched, and so has SW Ohio. When will it be our turn?!

I bet Columbus goes all digi before Dayton. They were years ahead of Dayton for RR and the other digital services. I had RR in Columbus in late 1996 near OSU campus.

JayPSU said:
I'm positive that it's not.
How did you come to that conclusion? TWC-Cinci didn't make an announcement when they went all digital*. The only way I was able to determine if we were getting digital simulcasts was in diagnosis mode on my STB and noting the frequency on which the channel was being transmitted.

*Analog channels are still available with cable ready TVs and public access stations are still analog.

terryfoster said:
How did you come to that conclusion? TWC-Cinci didn't make an announcement when they went all digital*. The only way I was able to determine if we were getting digital simulcasts was in diagnosis mode on my STB and noting the frequency on which the channel was being transmitted.

*Analog channels are still available with cable ready TVs and public access stations are still analog.

Even a casual observer such as myself can see the difference between a digital and analog picture. It's definitely still analog. Supposedly ABC is the one channel holding out in their negotiations to have digital on all of the channels. So hopefully we will see the change-over soon.

JayPSU said:
Even a casual observer such as myself can see the difference between a digital and analog picture. It's definitely still analog. Supposedly ABC is the one channel holding out in their negotiations to have digital on all of the channels. So hopefully we will see the change-over soon.

Its indeed very very easy to see and just know it will be soon but its never easy for anyone to wait is it. I'm guilty as heck at having trouble waiting for things but we can't do much more ya know.

JayPSU said:
Even a casual observer such as myself can see the difference between a digital and analog picture.
LonghornXP said:
Its indeed very very easy to see

I would disagree and say it depends on the quality of your analog channels. The overall quality of analog programing delivered to my home (once processed by my HDTV) is very good and only one channel had poor signal. So, sure, I could tell when that station went digital, but the rest of my channels remain fairly unchanged as far as quality goes. The only way I could be absolutely sure was to use the diagnosis mode to see the carrier frequency and program id.

Last edited:
terryfoster said:
I would disagree and say it depends on the quality of your analog channels. The overall quality of analog programing delivered to my home (once processed by my HDTV) is very good and only one channel had poor signal. So, sure, I could tell when that station went digital, but the rest of my channels remain fairly unchanged as far as quality goes. The only way I could be absolutely sure was to use the diagnosis mode to see the carrier frequency and program id.

You must be one of the very few lucky ones because a very very very high percentage of customers notice the difference between analog and digital even on a 25" TV.

Today I was browsing through my TWC on-screen channel guide and noticed something interesting. I noticed the following channels, Food Network, Home and Garden Network, and The Weather Channel were duplicated and in digital on channels 850, 851, and 861. ALSO, DIY, FitTV, Science channel, Discovery Kids, Disney, Boomerang, and C-Span 3 were all duplicated on channels in the 800's like the others. Are these signs that the Digital Simulcasting is almost here in Central Ohio?!

JayPSU said:
Today I was browsing through my TWC on-screen channel guide and noticed something interesting. I noticed the following channels, Food Network, Home and Garden Network, and The Weather Channel were duplicated and in digital on channels 850, 851, and 861. ALSO, DIY, FitTV, Science channel, Discovery Kids, Disney, Boomerang, and C-Span 3 were all duplicated on channels in the 800's like the others. Are these signs that the Digital Simulcasting is almost here in Central Ohio?!

Yes they are testing digital simulcasting now in your area. You will notice in the future that more and more channels will start popping up in the 800s. Once testing is done and everything is working the channels in the 800s will be gone and your digital box will get new mapping software. This mapping software will tell the box that when a customer tunes into a current analog channel it will tune the digital feed instead of the analog feed. When testing is done and ADS is rolled out you will just watch everything as you do today on the same channels to watch them on today. So if SciFi is in analog on channel 60 for example when it goes digital you will tune into the same channel 60 but it will be digital instead of analog.

JayPSU said:

We've had these in Lincoln for a few months in the 1900's range. I think that these channels are there for TWC's upcoming 'Family' package.

If it were strictly for digital simulcasting, there'd be no point to the already digital channels being duplicated like Discovery Kids, DIY, etc.

Kramer said:
We've had these in Lincoln for a few months in the 1900's range. I think that these channels are there for TWC's upcoming 'Family' package.

If it were strictly for digital simulcasting, there'd be no point to the already digital channels being duplicated like Discovery Kids, DIY, etc.

Way to kill the mood! ;)

LonghornXP said:
Sorry to say he may be correct. Some of those channels are in the analog teir or were at some point in time in many markets. These could very well be the channels that are part of the family package.

Our digital simulcast in Cincinnati run in the 800 range, so this could be good news! Our family package is way up in the 1000s. The real question is, if you add 800 to the analog assignment, do you end up on the digital simulcast? For instance in Cincinnati we have ABC on channel 9 and 809 (the digital channel is only available on 9 on the cable box unless you are in diagnosis mode).

Last edited:
The channels in the 800's on the Cols, OH system are for the Family Tier package. That is it. The transistion for all of the analog channels started last week. They launched 2 channels last week for the simulcast. Unfortunately, I am not sure which ones, although they are not major channels, just info stuff I believe. (Flip thru your lineup, you will notice if they are digital.) TWC will add them slowly over the next several weeks, usually 2 channels at a time. This is to prevent massive service calls for crappy drops and gold splitters that kill the QAM frequenices where these DS channels live. : ) If they did the whole lineup over night, many people would have limited or no service at all because of something like this.

But yes, it is coming, and has already started on low demand channels.

CbandLover said:
The channels in the 800's on the Cols, OH system are for the Family Tier package. That is it. The transistion for all of the analog channels started last week. They launched 2 channels last week for the simulcast. Unfortunately, I am not sure which ones, although they are not major channels, just info stuff I believe. (Flip thru your lineup, you will notice if they are digital.) TWC will add them slowly over the next several weeks, usually 2 channels at a time. This is to prevent massive service calls for crappy drops and gold splitters that kill the QAM frequenices where these DS channels live. : ) If they did the whole lineup over night, many people would have limited or no service at all because of something like this.

But yes, it is coming, and has already started on low demand channels.

So are we talking two channels a day, a week, a month? I haven't noticed anything yet.

JayPSU said:
So are we talking two channels a day, a week, a month? I haven't noticed anything yet.
Here we're getting about 3 channels switched over every other day or so. They've been doing it since the beginning of May, and we've still got 20 or so channels to go. They seem to have taken a break in the first few weeks of June to adjust and fine tune the image and audio on the channels that were previously switched over. They just resumed adding new simulcast channels this week. Hopefully by the middle of July everything will be switched over.

Also, the channels here in the 8XX range are the digital simulcast channels, as they map them to the original analog channel spots on the box, the channel in the 8XX range disappears. Channels in the 19XX range seem to be the "family pack" channels.

FYI, I'm in Northern New York, serviced by Time Warner Syracuse division.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts