Complete loss of reception in cold weather

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bonehead

Original poster
Feb 20, 2006
Well, it's happened again. Everytime it gets below about 10 degrees F, I lose reception (triple-LNB HD dish). If I drag the space heater out to the porch and warm up the LNBs, reception returns. Two questions:

1) Anyone else experience this?

2) Anyone tried to get D* to replace the LNB and/or entire dish? (I have the service contract, and am a "preferred" customer).

welcome :wave

sounds like a bad LNB. While I dont have DirecTv, my stepdad does and hasnt had any issues recently (and its been below 10 degrees for 4 days now...was -15 Sat morning)

I heard a few years ago of people having problems with the LNB with cold weather. Last weekend it was about -20 without the windchill, about -45 with windchill, and my dish didn't have any problems.

How many receivers do you have if it is just 1, it could be the copper center conductor on a fitting is too short and contracts with cold so that it dosen't make contact. If more than 1 receiver it is probably a temperature sensitive LNB assembly.

boba said:
How many receivers do you have if it is just 1, it could be the copper center conductor on a fitting is too short and contracts with cold so that it dosen't make contact. If more than 1 receiver it is probably a temperature sensitive LNB assembly.

Three receivers...

What exactly do you think is affected by the cold temperatures to cause this failure?

The Tate said:
Did you notice any ice build up on the lens of the LNB?

No, but I really didn't check for that. It does seem that the problem is worst when there's a bit of humidity in the air, but being in Denver there's really never a damp cold like you get on the coasts. I'll keep an eye on that next time I lose reception (which I hope isn't this year).

The fact that other people's systems work in the same conditions leads to to think that I have an equipment problem, however.

i would guess it's water or just condensation in one of the lnb's, or water in one of the connectors at the dish. i had this problem. i'd check all your lnb's for water, and get some connector sealer from radioshack or some electronics store. loosen, seal, and re-tighten all the connections. i ended up having to replace an lnb because of water leaking in. never had the problem again. good luck.

Call DirecTV, and have them come out for a Service call, to replace the LNB set, or fix the cable...

It could be that water has gotten into the head, or quite possibly, as Boba said, you might just have a short center conductor and the cold would pull it out of the socket, causing an open circuit... I have seen both conditions cause failure in the reception... Just my 2 cents... LOL

there was a thread last year or something.. If I remember correctly certain wingegard lnb (a25 was the model number I believe) would fail to work at cold temps - it was apperently a design flaw

I think this was discussed over at tivocommunity but I cant find it..

jim

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)