Complete or partial signal loss on one receiver only

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mag314

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 6, 2012
Michigan
TL,DR: Only one of my 2 receivers loses signal, need help to determine where the issue is.

Long version: I have an original Hopper, and a Hopper with Sling, and twice in the last few months I have had the original Hopper display a complete signal loss, while the HwS does just fine. I was able to resolve the issue this time by doing a system status check (note that a power cord reset and a check switch did not help). Or else it spontaneously fixed itself while I was doing the system status check. Last time it was fixed after I changed the coax cable from the wall to the Hopper; I thought it may have gotten pinched at some point, as the wall plate was behind a bookcase. There is no chance it was pinched this time as I moved things around last time. The entire time I had complete signal loss showing , the point dish screen showed it locked on the appropriate satellites with at least 43 for each transponder. Is this a problem with the dish pointing? The LNB? The receiver? Still the wiring? Many thanks!

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app

TL,DR: Only one of my 2 receivers loses signal, need help to determine where the issue is.

Long version: I have an original Hopper, and a Hopper with Sling, and twice in the last few months I have had the original Hopper display a complete signal loss, while the HwS does just fine. I was able to resolve the issue this time by doing a system status check (note that a power cord reset and a check switch did not help). Or else it spontaneously fixed itself while I was doing the system status check. Last time it was fixed after I changed the coax cable from the wall to the Hopper; I thought it may have gotten pinched at some point, as the wall plate was behind a bookcase. There is no chance it was pinched this time as I moved things around last time. The entire time I had complete signal loss showing , the point dish screen showed it locked on the appropriate satellites with at least 43 for each transponder. Is this a problem with the dish pointing? The LNB? The receiver? Still the wiring? Many thanks!

Dish pointing is likely OK since the other receiver doesn't loose signal.

For a two-Hopper system, the LNB feeds three signals to the node, then one cable from there to each receiver. Each cable between LNB(s) and the node is for one satellite so this is common to both receivers.

If you swap cables feeding the two receivers at the output of the node and the problem MOVES to the other receiver then it's most likely the node. If the problem remains with the original receiver, the problem is most likely the cable or the receiver itself.

Swapping receiver locations should allow you to determine if it's cabling or the receiver. If the problem remains with the original receiver after relocating it, then it's the receiver.

Thanks for the troubleshooting tips, I will try these if it happens again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts