Complete Signal lose on HDMI TV.

bluelily10879

Original poster
Sep 10, 2011
Jackson, mi
So We have 2 main boxes and only one keeps losing signal. The one in our bedroom seems to have complete signal lose on days that aren't even cloudy! Yet the box in the other room is still working and not losing signal at all. We get this message that says complete signal lose then when we try to reset it. It will come back but with in a minute lose signal Again! We JUST got it replaced a few months ago! Also why is that with an HDMI TV you can't activate the close caption when it is hooked up to the satellite. That REALLY bugs me.

Closed Captioning was not mandated in the HDMI spec, so the signals that send closed captioning information are not sent across the hdmi cable for the TV to decode. Instead, Closed Captioning is done directly by the Dish Receiver... of course this means that the "CC on Mute" feature that many people have come to love ("yes honey I'm listening to you" <while watching captions scroll on the screen>) doesn't work any longer ... the signal for CC is not on hdmi its on the left/right audio channels, and so far there doesn't seem to be any TV manufacturer out there recommending people use RCA connectors for the left/right audio ports and some special setting in the TV to tell it to pull the CC signal out of them on mute.

That would be one way around the problem ... another way would be to have the Dish Receiver recognize the user pressing MUTE ... and have the same options for CC inside the Dish Receiver.. so that dish receiver sees user press "mute" and goes ahead and fills in the CC information across the hdmi.

either way work for someone..

Are they the same model receiver? If so it could be an lnb going bad. Ihave a 722 in the living room and periodically get a partial signal loss error. Many people have reported that problem. We think there is a problem with the L676 software. If you press Guide, then Live TV and then rewind, you find you haven't lost the signal on the channel you have been watching.

Are you sure about that? IIRC I was fiddling around with the 6 CC modes available on my Vizio, and 2 or 3 of them resulted in display of the CC. As stated, the TV's MUTE button did nothing regarding the CC. If the TV was displaying them, they didn't go away when un-muted. Very annoying to have this great feature disappear.

On my LG TV, turning on the CC does nothing when using HDMI. Only when I turn it on from the Dish receiver does it work. As TG2 said, if I use the RCA inputs, it still works.
Turning CC on from the Dish receiver, then trying to control it from the TV does nothing, the CC just stays on, so the TV is getting nothing from the HDMI that it can control apparently.

Huh. I can no longer find the 6 CC modes on my Vizio. It behaves like my Westinghouse and like your LG.

Huh. I can no longer find the 6 CC modes on my Vizio. It behaves like my Westinghouse and like your LG.
they probably show up the moment you switch to ATSC or to an input that uses the R/L audio ports...

and I've got to say... that this is one of THE biggest mistakes in TV in a long time.. I mean.. it was one thing to screw the deaf .. its another to screw everyone ... I'm not deaf ... but I *LOVED* having CC on mute.. and the current implementation in Dish is just so frustrating to use... turn on, 50 million clicks.. turn off ..49 million clicks.. and in between I have ended up saying f**k it and use the Component Outputs when I want to do it again... and of course for the deaf ... its like HDMI said F U deaf peoples .. you'll be stuck running a 5 piece cable for *your* connection (or even worse.. like with the 110's .. composite, not compontent, but Composite out .... though the 110's will probably support it in their menus ... if and or when they come out)

why the hell couldn't they make an HDMI 1.3b or c... and 1.4a/b ... and add the closed captioning into the digital audio they send across? :(

Contact dish about the signal loss. It may be a receiver problem (you could take the one that works reliably and move it to the location that doesn't to test) or it could be a problem with the line coming from the antenna to your problem location. A poor quality connection being the most common issues.

Contact dish about the signal loss. It may be a receiver problem (you could take the one that works reliably and move it to the location that doesn't to test) or it could be a problem with the line coming from the antenna to your problem location. A poor quality connection being the most common issues.
It could also be the switch in your dish LNB setup. BTW you lose signal but when it is gone that is called a LOSS of signal.

Last edited:
dwarren2 said:
Are they the same model receiver? If so it could be an lnb going bad. Ihave a 722 in the living room and periodically get a partial signal loss error. Many people have reported that problem. We think there is a problem with the L676 software. If you press Guide, then Live TV and then rewind, you find you haven't lost the signal on the channel you have been watching.

Could be the connectors. Last week I was getting thai message only on certain channels and fixed the problem by rebooting the receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)