Complete Signal Loss on only one of my recievers

Chris311

Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Two days ago we experienced a 3 hour power outage over night on the NW side of the San Antonio area. The next day late in the afternoon I went to watch some TV in my bedroom when I am presented with a Complete Signal Loss 015 message. I don't get a single channel. It won't even let me open the tv guide or check my DVR schedule.

I have a VIP 722 DVR. I reset the box by both unplugging it for 10 seconds and by holding down the power button. Neither method worked. I ran a Check Switch test and it went through 38 tests and came back with an error message saying that I have fewer satellites that previously detected. Somewhere else I found a diagnosis that said something about having over 7 million signal losses since yesterday. (I don't remember where I found that, I was just clicking around)

The odd thing is that I have another VIP 722 DVR in my living room and it works just fine. Since the box in my living room works, can I safely assume that it has nothing to do with my satellite needing adjustment? That it is a problem with the box in my room?

This isn't the first time this problem has happened. Earlier this year I had the same problem with this box. It had been in storage for a few months, and when I went and plugged it back in the same area it was working before, I got the Complete Signal Loss 015 message. I called Dish and they sent out a tech 3 days later. Before he arrived I had not turned on my TV to check and see if the signal was there or not. When the tech showed up the receiver was working perfectly. The Tech did not know why it would start working all of a sudden. His only guess was that it needed to update after being off for so long, but I don't know how it could have downloaded an update if it couldn't get a signal to even know if there was an update available.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Let me know if there is anything you want me to check that could help.

Thank you,
-Chris

Last edited:
Two days ago we experienced a 3 hour power outage over night on the NW side of the San Antonio area. The next day late in the afternoon I went to watch some TV in my bedroom when I am presented with a Complete Signal Loss 015 message. I don't get a single channel. It won't even let me open the tv guide or check my DVR schedule.

I have a VIP 722 DVR. I reset the box by both unplugging it for 10 seconds and by holding down the power button. Neither method worked. I ran a Check Switch test and it went through 38 tests and came back with an error message saying that I have fewer satellites that previously detected. Somewhere else I found a diagnosis that said something about having over 7 million signal losses since yesterday. (I don't remember where I found that, I was just clicking around)

The odd thing is that I have another VIP 722 DVR in my living room and it works just fine. Since the box in my living room works, can I safely assume that it has nothing to do with my satellite needing adjustment? That it is a problem with the box in my room?

This isn't the first time this problem has happened. Earlier this year I had the same problem with this box. It had been in storage for a few months, and when I went and plugged it back in the same area it was working before, I got the Complete Signal Loss 015 message. I called Dish and they sent out a tech 3 days later. Before he arrived I had not turned on my TV to check and see if the signal was there or not. When the tech showed up the receiver was working perfectly. The Tech did not know why it would start working all of a sudden. His only guess was that it needed to update after being off for so long, but I don't know how it could have downloaded an update if it couldn't get a signal to even know if there was an update available.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Let me know if there is anything you want me to check that could help.

-Chris
Would it be possible to switch the locations of the 722's? If it follows the receiver to the other room then there is a problem with that receiver, if it stays in the room then there is something going on with the installation.

If you have diplexers in the system it could be one of them bad. I have run into that problem alot after a power surges. Probaly is not a dish problem it other receiver is working

I moved the box into the living room as suggested, and there is a slight improvement but not much.

In my bedroom, it couldn't even find a signal at all. Not even for a second. But in the living room it gets a signal every second but then immediately drops it. Under Point Dish there will be a green signal bar, then no signal, then a green signal bar, and then no signal. It only does it if tuner 2 is selected under Point Dish. With tuner 1 selected it does nothing. I also ran the switch test and it ran through 4 of 4 tests on both tuners, but on tuner 2 it took less than 30 seconds to finish while on tuner 1 it took over 5 minutes. It still gave me the same error message about having less satellite than previously detected.

I was even able to bring up the guide for a second before it lost the signal and exited the guide and displayed the 015 Complete Signal Loss error. Is this a sign of a bad box?

Just remember that new episodes of Wilfred and Futurama aired tonight. My living room box didn't have timers setup for them :( Guess I'll catchup with Wilfred on Hulu tomorrow and find a torrent for the Futurama episode.

EDIT: I just checked the box again (Still hooked up in living room) and it has completely downloaded the guide (Where before it was only showing what was currently airing, and everything after that was mark "not available" or something like that) but I just have a black screen. I can change channels, and at the top of the screen the little information box about what is airing on that channel shows up, but the screen is still black. It will then show the "Complete Signal Loss 015" message after sitting on a channel for a few seconds.

Last edited:
The livingroom box needs a switch test performed and the bedroom one needs either a new diplexer or has a bad connection to the dish or ground block.

You may be a bit confused. The living room box works no problem. I moved the box from my bedroom into the living room to see if it worked on the same coax connection as the living room box, and it still doesn't work there. I moved my living room box to another coax connection on the other side of the living room (I had Dish activate two lines into my living room) so that I could still use that to watch and record shows while my bedroom box is plugged into the other outlet that my living room box was using.

I'll probably call Dish support sometime next week. I have a term paper due on Monday and two finals for Summer II next week I need to study for. I guess it is sort of a good thing my TV is not working so that I spend more time studying.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts