Complete signal loss

CWolfe

Original poster
Nov 21, 2012
Jackson, MS
Brand new to this forum. Thanks for making this information available!

I have a Dish Network VIP 211K receiver that is working at home. I picked up a Satellite from a friend, that is not in use, for camping. The dish says Dish Network 1000 plus. I believe that it is a 4-5 year old dish. Every time that I attempt to install this receiver, I get 65-70 on signal strength on satellite 110. It will then search for available satellites and then will acguire signal. After about a minute, I get a "complete signal loss" and start this process over again. I am always getting a signal when I am in the "point dish" menu (65-70) and with the exception of one occasion I have lost it when it is "acquiring signal". Do I have a bad dish? Am I doing something wrong? The only thing that I can tell is different about the way I have this set up at my house is that my Dish is facing 61.5. Does that matter? Any help appreciated!

61.5 will not work. Needs to point at 110 through 129 orbital locations.

Dish 1000 plus is not even used any more. You would be much better off contacting dish and seeing what they can do for you. If not, you will need a dish 1000.4 dish. It does not use switches.

BTW, welcome to Satguys!

Welcome to the Site!!

That dish will work just fine if you point it right and at Western Arc. You will need a switch though, and then each time you move the receiver from dish to dish you will need to run a check switch. Either a DP34 or DP33 switch will work. Get up with your buddy and see if there is a switch stuck on the side of the house some where still.
BTW the PLUS means it has a 118.7 LNB also, which you will not need.

CWolfe said:
Brand new to this forum. Thanks for making this information available!

I have a Dish Network VIP 211K receiver that is working at home. I picked up a Satellite from a friend, that is not in use, for camping. The dish says Dish Network 1000 plus. I believe that it is a 4-5 year old dish. Every time that I attempt to install this receiver, I get 65-70 on signal strength on satellite 110. It will then search for available satellites and then will acguire signal. After about a minute, I get a "complete signal loss" and start this process over again. I am always getting a signal when I am in the "point dish" menu (65-70) and with the exception of one occasion I have lost it when it is "acquiring signal". Do I have a bad dish? Am I doing something wrong? The only thing that I can tell is different about the way I have this set up at my house is that my Dish is facing 61.5. Does that matter? Any help appreciated!

The channel the reciever is set on is most likely a channel from a different satellite than 110.if you find a channel broadcast from 110 then it should work. But I would recommend pointing at 119 since it carries the majority of channels. Why does he need a switch? The lines coming off the dish should be combining all three sat signals into one line,and his 211 only needs one sat input.

A switch is around $60 on eBay. Plus you have to piss with a power inserter and run extra cables.

He would be much better off buying a 1000.4 dish off eBay for about the same amount.

Actually he would be better off calling dish, if he is under contract they might hook him up with a dish for free.

Because the switch is not built in, due to separate lnbs.
1000plnbf.jpg

I was thinking the ones I installed did. I don't remember a built in switch, maybe I am wrong..;)

Maybe I'm still half asleep, but why would he need a switch with a 1000+ dish and only one 211??
The original 1000+ didn't have a built in switch so a DPP44 switch was needed for the 4 satellites it would target. Using it for 110/119/129 only 3 satellite inputs are needed so a DP34 would be the most economical. The 118.7 satellite is used for international programming so it won't be connected.

boba said:
The original 1000+ didn't have a built in switch so a DPP44 switch was needed for the 4 satellites it would target. Using it for 110/119/129 only 3 satellite inputs are needed so a DP34 would be the most economical. The 118.7 satellite is used for international programming so it won't be connected.

Yeah, thanks. I know how they work but was clearly not thinking straight.

you can now buy a new lnb for 1000+ that requires no switch.

This lnb will fit on a 1000+ dish and you can connect up to 3 receivers.

it has 4 ports but 1 is the input for the external 129 lnb to plug into.

163060.JPG