Completed system test, 92% on tuner 1, 0% on tuner 2. Why?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

NHL21

Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
Basically that is the problem with my HR 20 model of Directv's HD DVR receiver and 5lnb satellite dish combo.

On the signal meter screen when I check individual transponders, I always get a roughly 80 to 95% in regards to tuner 1 and then between 65 to 85% on tuner 2.
Fine, but then when I take the system test, it says 92% on tuner 1 and then 0% on tuner 2. Why doesn't tuner 2 work?

And I get that dreaded "searching for satellite 2" 771 error message.

Have you checked all the following?

Four coaxial cables from your dish into a multiswitch & from there two separate cables going into your receiver. Each cable should have a b-band converter (black box with one cable coming out) attached just before it's connected to the receiver.

Each time you switch the channel the receiver switches tuners so are you only getting the 'searching for sat' on every other channel change?

Next test is swap the input cables and see if the problem moves to tuner 1. If it does, then there is a problem in the cabling, BBCs, or multiswitch/LNB.

Have you checked all the following?

Four coaxial cables from your dish into a multiswitch & from there two separate cables going into your receiver. Each cable should have a b-band converter (black box with one cable coming out) attached just before it's connected to the receiver.

My so-called Directv expert (who has a system himself) told me that I only needed 2 cables coming from the dish. And that I don't need a multiswitch, because my lnbs already is a multiswitch.

So, I don't know what to think.

And I have worked with the BBCs

Each time you switch the channel the receiver switches tuners so are you only getting the 'searching for sat' on every other channel change?

Nope, it gives me that message for every channel. Except the ones that I haven't ordered.

And in case it matters to help you answer my question, the full message is "Searching for signal on satellite In 2 ... (771)"

Not exactly sure why the number 2.

My so-called Directv expert (who has a system himself) told me that I only needed 2 cables coming from the dish. And that I don't need a multiswitch, because my lnbs already is a multiswitch.

So, I don't know what to think.

And I have worked with the BBCs

This would seem to be your problem; their is a SWM LNB Dish that only requires one cable but even this requires the proper splitter. If you have the standard Slimline-5 you need to run those 4 cables from the LNB into a switch then run two cables from the switch into two b-band converters then into your two receivers inputs. Simply running two (out of the four) cables from the dish into your receiver produces exactly what your experiencing.

Ummm....the OP may only need two cables coming from the dish if his only receiver is the DVR. Why would this type of setup require a multiswitch or SWM?

NHL, let us know the results of your switching the cables on the back of the receiver. You may also want to switch the cables around at the LNB if this is feasible (you might have a bad LNB port)

Ummm....the OP may only need two cables coming from the dish if his only receiver is the DVR. Why would this type of setup require a multiswitch or SWM?

The earlier slimlines required a switch for all installations (even one receiver) & that is the only way I've seen them installed here. I never thought to consider he only had one receiver installed.

NHL, let us know the results of your switching the cables on the back of the receiver. You may also want to switch the cables around at the LNB if this is feasible (you might have a bad LNB port)

I just tried switching the cables at both the back of the receiver and at the dish, and the problem remains.

I had already switched to a different LNB set as a precautionary measure thinking it might be burnt out, but that hasn't changed it.

The earlier slimlines required a switch for all installations (even one receiver) & that is the only way I've seen them installed here. I never thought to consider he only had one receiver installed.

There was a problem with the LNB multiswitch in a certain number of early AU-9's but that has been corrected.

NHL, if you've switched the cables and the problem remains with Tuner 2 than you have a bad receiver. You will need to call D* to get a replacement.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)