Completely Unwatchable( Audio Sync issue )

BASDSucks

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 14, 2006
PA
This weeks Heroes, Journeyman and Chuck were completely unwatchable because the audio and video werent insync.. This is really starting to make me mad, all the new shows are starting and almost all of them are not in sync. Im in the Pittsburgh area(wpxi Channel 11) with a 622 in Dual mode through HDMI.. When i switch to the same SD channel there fine, even if i record the show and play it back, its STILL out of sync...

I recorded 'ER' and noticed this during the last 1/4 hour. Sure makes it hard to watch. You can only hope there isn't much close-up facial shots of a conversation.

In the past , I believe I have changed to the SB broadcast and everything was fine (not that this is a solution).

So what can we do regarding this isuue? Call in and complain?

I recorded both LIL and OTA last night, so I could compare. I have not watched the recordings yet, but I will post my results here when I do. NBC is the only channel I have trouble with, so do not necessarily think it is a receiver issue in all cases.

I got this message back from DISH Quality after I complained about my local NBC affiliate, so I thought I would share:

"Thank you for expressing your concerns and interest in DISH Network!
Customer input is an important tool in our efforts to continuously
improve the quality of the DISH Network service.

We will review the WNCN HD signal on our 722 receiver this evening.
Thank you for letting us know that cable and OTA signals are also
displaying a lip sync issue, albeit less noticeable.

Please be aware that we are actively pursuing all audio/video timing
issues with both internal and external partners along with our
customers. HD technology is relatively new and we, along with our HD
programming providers, are faced with numerous variables when
troubleshooting HD signal quality issues. We've seen these variables
range from the production of a specific television program to the
end-user's hardware and/or software. For example, one programmer
recently found a timing issue within their facility and with the
production of several programs. To compound the issue, not all
providers
utilize the same hardware, software, broadcast equipment, etc.
therefore
not consistent in the way the audio/video is processed. EchoStar
continues to make progress in this area along with our programming
partners.

At DISH Network we appreciate the time customers take to email their
audio/video quality concerns. Thank you for your patience and for being
a valued customer.

Regards,
EchoStar Satellite LLC
Quality Assurance Department
dishquality@echostar.com"

Wow that sounds familiar...

Dear Mr. Davis,

Thank you for expressing your concerns and interest in DISH Network.
Customer input is an important tool in our efforts to continuously
improve the quality of the DISH Network service.

Indeed there is an issue with the audio and video timing on National
Geographic. Our engineering teams have been troubleshooting the problem
for a few weeks now and calling the provider for assistance. We hope to
have the problem resolved as quickly as possible.

We are also looking into a possible timing problem on other HD channels.
Unfortunately, sometimes these things take a while and then other times
it is a matter of a few minutes. HD technology is relatively new and we,
along with our providers, are constantly trying to improve quality for
our viewers.

At DISH Network we appreciate the time customers take to email their
audio/video quality concerns. Thank you for your patience and for being
a valued customer.

Regards,
EchoStar Satellite LLC
Quality Assurance Department
dishquality@echostar.com

9/05/07

I'm sorry. I couldn't resist. In fact I don't know what FPR means.

It could mean Front Panel Reset but that is just a guess. You can do a reset by pressing the Power button on the front panel and holding it for five seconds. Be sure to check if something is being recorded as it will get interrupted by this procedure.

are the 722's hdmi 1.2? I thought that had built in lip sync data.

I ended up buying a felston digital delay 2 years ago because of leading audio/lip sync problems. It was worth every penny to be able to adjust from 1- 300 msec delay with true 5.1 dolby digital pass-through. ;)

I don't have E* local HD. I do, however, have a 622 and 211 that I watch and record Local OTA on. My NBC local affiliate has had lip-synch issues for the past 2 years or so. I have e-mailed the station (lead engineer to be specific) and they have come to no resolution to the issue. I sent an e-mail a few months back and received the following from the station. As you will see the engineer tries to blame E* and D* not realizing that either carrier carries Flint LIL's.

[Add to Address Book]

To:<cummingsje@comcast.net>, <publicfile@nbc25.net>
Subject:RE: WEYI contact us submission - Programming
Date:Friday, May 25, 2007 8:37:24 AM
[View Source]

Jeff Cummings
The delay is caused by the significant video processing that happens now with digital television. The delay is caused when the video image is process and converted between analog and digital formats. Since many stations have a variety of technologies for gathering video feeds (live, satellite, microwave, tape, etc) every time the image is processed it is delayed as compared to the audio. This problem is universal among all stations broadcasting a digial signal. Sometimes we are able to delay the audio to match the amount of video delay. The delay is compounted when multiple pieces of equipment are used. We have made great effort to match the audio and video for the broadcast signals as they leave the station.
It is possible that the same issue is affecting our signal from the point that DIRECT and DISH pick up our signal, relay it to their uplink and then back down to the subscribers. I have no way to monitor Dish or Direct at our facility and we rely that Dish and Direct operating pursuant to FCC guidelinds and as such.

JB

-----Original Message-----
From: form_submission@barringtontv.com [mailto:form_submission@barringtontv.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2007 9:35 PM
To: jbengtso@nbc25.net; mkreiner@nbc25.net; jreinarz@nbc25.net; dshafer@nbc25.net; kpetzold@nbc25.net
Subject: WEYI contact us submission - Programming

Name: Jeff Cummings

Phone: 810-496-0335

E-mail: cummingsje@comcast.net

I currently receive your Digital channel (HDTV) over the air via a Dish Network receiver (VIP622) and a Olevia 32" LCD HDTV. While watching HD programming I notice a definite audio lag (lip synch) with the video. I also receive Channel 10 from Jackson and Channel 4 from Detroit and have not noticed this issue. I was hoping this would be something you might look into. I have visited a couple of online forums where other individuals have noticed the same issue. Any feedback you could give would be greatly appreciated as I would really love to watch my local NBC station vs. a Detroit or Jackson station.

AES(the Audio Engineer Society) New York 2007
Broadcast Session B8

Saturday, October 6, 2:00 pm — 4:00 pm
B8 - AUDIO FOR HDTV: THE LIP SYNC ISSUE

Chair:
Brad Dick, Broadcast Engineering Magazine
Panelists:
Randy Conrod, Harris Broadcast Communications Division
Ken Hunnold, Dolby Laboratories
Chris Smith, Pixel Instruments

Abstract:
One of the big issues of HDTV presentation is trying to sync the audio with the picture. This is a problem caused by high definition video's extensive processing requirements: from pre- and post production, to broadcast, to playback on your TV—resulting in audio being delivered a split second ahead of the video.

AES New York 2007: Broadcast Session B8

(Like I said before, this lip sync problem IS rocket science so give Dish a break here.)

Apparently it is rocket science as is evidenced by all of the variables
1. I have the dish feed of Minneapolis Locals and also an ota feed
of my locals, Eau Claire, WI. I have noticed at times that the sync
issue exists for both feeds and then at times for only one feed
but not the other
2. Some people with the 622 experience the problem while others don't

It is hard to narrow down, just when you think it is the receiver you
can prove yourself wrong.

As I mentioned, these seems to happen mostly during the fall season.
I rarely have problems with the summer HD shows.

The only common thing seems to be that it is the HD feed.

It would be interesting to do a survey during the season with
people during the fall season, with each one giving the problem
along with their setup, ie receiver, if it is ota etc..

are the 722's hdmi 1.2? I thought that had built in lip sync data.

I ended up buying a felston digital delay 2 years ago because of leading audio/lip sync problems. It was worth every penny to be able to adjust from 1- 300 msec delay with true 5.1 dolby digital pass-through. ;)

Could we have some more info on that delay unit?

PM is cool, but I am guessing I'm not the only one interested. :hungry:

i too have had bad audio sync issues on some channels. i have the 722, using hdmi to tv and optical audio to receiver. this drives me nuts, is there a way to fix this? thanks

i too have had bad audio sync issues on some channels. i have the 722, using hdmi to tv and optical audio to receiver. this drives me nuts, is there a way to fix this? thanks

I have this problem as well with 622. I also get my locals OTA on a Voom receiver. The lip sync problem on my HD locals with Dish do not exist on my Voom OTA locals.

I called tech support to question them about a fix on the 622 and they said it was a known problem with the 622 and offered to swap out my 622. I declined because I have recorded movies I don't want to part with and my experience with swap-outs with Dish has been poor -- the swap-out units have the same problems...

BTW, the audio always precedes the video when I have the lip sync problems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)