Compliments received! Compliments given!

radio

"On the Air" in MI
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2007
West Central Michigan
I have to do a bit of "crowing" here. I woke up today, having slept-in late to check the 'net as most of us do. We're all "so important" now, that something MUST involve us overnight, right? We all check our e-mails, facebooks, and the like. Found a compliment on Facebook about our musical selections, and a couple of e-mails about our actual "sound" on the WION streaming app and online.

We've posted these to our comments page (2) at WION's website. Look below the nice letter. Poke around the site after reading, if you like!

WION is truly unique. Not just in playlist, not just in sound, but in a group of people who MAKE it all happen. Engineers, friends, sponsors. None of us get rich, none of us are doing "earth shattering" things, but all of us enjoy what we do, AND...to be recognized by strangers as "outstanding" I believe is worthy of us telling YOU. I've worked at many stations in my 25-plus years on the air, and never have I been anywhere with so many compliments over "sound" and programming. I have, however LEARNED from those places, most notably the WLKI of the 1990's (not today's version) how to assemble a great TEAM.

Much of that team, along with friends (from other places I worked before buying WION) you'll find active today in doing shows FOR US like Randy Edwards (Edward's Archives and Turntable trainwrecks)....Garry Osborn of our afternoon show, (formerly my Program director and Boss at WLKI) and other announcers like Andy St. John (also from our WLKI team back then)... My friends Russ and Bob from WCSR in Hillsdale, a former student of mine; Ben; (now a Program Director in North Carolina and the voice of Berger Motor Sales) and of course, others all contribute to this very unique station.

Engineer-wise, we also have the BEST! The staff at Munn-Reese in Coldwater, Ralph Haines, Scott Beeman, Michael Bradford, all "legendary' in radio circles. THEY take my ideas, and make them a reality! It's not an easy task, but they always find a way. We wouldn't SOUND anything like we do without them!

It made my day to get compliments on our actual ON AIR SOUND (which you hear in AM stereo online) and our programming today in e-mail and on Facebook, but, without these people and others, whose names I'm sure I've left out (unintentionally) we would not be the station we are today, celebrating TEN YEARS OF INDEPENDENT RADIO in Ionia County, MI in 2014.

I have the BEST staff and friends! With their help, we share WION with more and more people each day. And we grow.

I just figured it was time to post this. Compliments "received" deserve compliments "given" too.

-Jim Carlyle

Facebook: www.facebook.com/i1430
Twitter: @i1430

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)