Please reply by conversation.

larry55

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jan 15, 2009
dothan al
The HDMI port went bad on my SONT TV and I switch over to the component cables. The picture look real good on my TV . IT about 7 year old . I thinking about waiting for football season to get over with before I get it fixed or getting a new TV. I want to know if any of the peoples on this form are using component cables . What the advantage of having the HDMI hook up or component cable hook up? :mad::mad:

The HDMI port went bad on my SONT TV and I switch over to the component cables. The picture look real good on my TV . IT about 7 year old . I thinking about waiting for football season to get over with before I get it fixed or getting a new TV. I want to know if any of the peoples on this form are using component cables . What the advantage of having the HDMI hook up or component cable hook up? :mad::mad:

Consider price.........especially if you need to make a long cable run. Then look at the cost of repairing the TV. Save the money for the time when the SONY breaks somewhere else....then just move it out and get one with even better features.

Joe

Unless you have a 3DTV or buy a lot of Pay per View, dont worry about HDMI cables.
DirecTV's HD channels broadcast at either 720P or 1080i. Both of these are supported by Component cables.
The only reason for HDMI is to reduce cable clutter, get 1080P resolution (only available on Pay per View) or for 3DTV.
So, I'd say don't worry about it.. your fine.

Component cables will support 1080p, just not on Directv since they don't support it over component.

WOOPS!! I followed my own advice.. I gotta eat the whopper on this one...
Apparently, the cables CAN carry 1080p, but most devices dont support it.. Score one for Chip!
?(and resounding SLAP! was heard echoing off the back of Lanarians head!!)

Get things straight. Component cables are PERFECTLY capable of supporting 1080p. But the movie studios etc have demanded that 1080p only be delivered over HDMI, with the HDCP copy protection protocol, and so in practice you can't get 1080p over component. But with DirecTV etc it does not really since 1080p is 1080p/24, and you can get the same picture quality from 1080i.

By the time you get your TV in the shop, or pay a service call I bet your out a few hundred dollars.

Not worth it, save your money for a new TV

Yup,
We had a very competent EE guy around here who had the skills to repair chips & boards. He had an electronics shop. As he closed his doors he reported he could not get his bench price per hour down low enough to attract service work and make a profit fixing televisions. At $70.00 / hr he would constantly exceed the new retail price of modern TVs only to discover the replacement parts were not available. Customers would abandon their minimum service charge, not have the work done and leave the defective TV for him to dump.

IF a replacement card did not fix it ..............it was trash. Even the used parts had little value.

Throw away world!

joe

Get things straight. Component cables are PERFECTLY capable of supporting 1080p. But the movie studios etc have demanded that 1080p only be delivered over HDMI, with the HDCP copy protection protocol, and so in practice you can't get 1080p over component. But with DirecTV etc it does not really since 1080p is 1080p/24, and you can get the same picture quality from 1080i.

Depends on which devices you are using. I have one of the launch Xbox 360s that doesn't have an HDMI port. The only way to get HD out of that console is through component cables. I have had my 360 set to 1080p for years over component and my TV reports that it is getting a 1080p signal. What you are saying is true for a lot of things (like bluray) but it's not a blanket statement.

I'm shopping now or do I need to wait for the 2014 come on line?

Yes, I had forgotten about the earlier xbox 360s. I should modify my statement to say that "in most cases" the device is limited to 1080i over component.

There is a possible downside to using component and that is related to the likely situation where content will be increasingly tied to HDCP view-only flags. Because component can't pass HDCP, there may be issues when DIRECTV implements content protection correctly (as opposed to using component as a workaround when HDCP fails).

Yes, in the future that is quite possible, although so far apart from 1080p it has not happened. It is quite possible that at some time in the future, all HD signals will be HDCP protected. At that point, if you are not using HDMI, then you won't get ANY HD. But there's going to be a massive outcry if that happens, because it would make ALL component video connections useless for HD.
We've already seen the removal of component video connections from BluRay players under industry pressure. My guess is that the movie/TV industry might pressure suppliers of set-top boxes to do the same. That would mean older equipment would still provide HD over component, but there would be no real need to add HDCP to all the HD signals.

Personally I think the whole thing is just BS. When you consider the amount of money the industry has spent trying to design copy protection into the technology, and the costs to all of us, and it still does not stop it happening on a commercial scale. IMHO they would be better off spending the money going after the people who do this as a business.

Doubt you could tell the difference between component and hdmi. Save the $ for a new tv and just run what you can for now.

It really depends upon which device has the better D/A converters.

Status
Please reply by conversation.