Component Errors please help

htguy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
North of the TwinCities
Hi All,

Biggest Problem:

Horizontal bands (thick lines) green w/ purple outline are scrolling slowly up picture. I have tried switching out all component cables and also bypassing AV receiver. WHen I have the component cables connected to the Voom box the problem with the "scrolling bands" happens to all other sources that are connected to component. I remove the component cables from the Voom box and the problem disappears.

How good is the tuner on the box?

On the plus side I ordered at 9pm on 7-6 and was connected @ 10am on 7-8.

Please help me solve these box issues.

Thanks,

Mike

htguy said:
Hi All,

Biggest Problem:

Horizontal bands (thick lines) green w/ purple outline are scrolling slowly up picture. I have tried switching out all component cables and also bypassing AV receiver. WHen I have the component cables connected to the Voom box the problem with the "scrolling bands" happens to all other sources that are connected to component. I remove the component cables from the Voom box and the problem disappears.

How good is the tuner on the box?

On the plus side I ordered at 9pm on 7-6 and was connected @ 10am on 7-8.

Please help me solve these box issues.

Thanks,

Mike

try doing a reset on the box if that don't help you probably need a new receiver i had on do that to me the other day and reset took care of it.

Should also mention that even if the Voom box is unplugged from the outlet, the scaning bar is still a problem. Unplug the component cables from the Voom box and problem is solved.

Sounds like possibly a grounding issue, are all of your components on the same outlet? Make sure none of them are plugged in with reverse polarity. Some plugs don't have the wide spade, if any of yours are like that, reverse the power cord and see if that helps.

htguy said:
is there a reset switch or can I just unplug it ?

you can unplug for hard reset or hold power button for 10 second for soft reset.

I agree with DarellP. That is a classic symptom of what is called a ground loop. The Voom's coax and or dish is not properly grounded to the house ground. If you do not know how to properly ground the system I would call Voom.

Jerry

htguy said:
Should also mention that even if the Voom box is unplugged from the outlet, the scaning bar is still a problem. Unplug the component cables from the Voom box and problem is solved.

have you tried to use a different component outlet on your tv to see if it still does this.

Also make sure you have connected the component cables correctly to the same colors. Green and Blue is easy to mix up when not paying attention. Than I would reboot, holding the power button until you see the screen go black. Also you might want to call Voom and have them send a "hit" to your box too. Let us know how it turns out.

htguy, welcome to the forum!

DarrellP's suggestion is reasonable, for sure.

I had a similar issue with my SONY RPTV. I have kp53hs10, one of the first HD ready models.

My component inputs have a setting in the menu of my tv, two different formats. It will totally screw my picture if this is set wrong.

Another suggestion I might mention is checking the native resolution of your tv set and make sure the voom box is set accordingly. I get similar bars and lines briefly when my set is adjusting to a change in the output from my voom stb.

The fact that the noise continues with the voom box unpowered does sound like a line noise issue. Could be the power supply for the OTA antenna...might disconnect it and see. Do you have two separate coax cables leaving then voom box, or are you on the diplexor?

Thanks for all input everyone.

Actually the installer was having a problem with the diplexer (or so he thought) so he just installed another line. This line to the antenna appears to be ungrounded (no wire going to ground).

I'll check when I get a chance to install the ground when I get home.

Thanks again,

Mike

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)