Component or DVI to HDTV?

tsgrayson

Original poster
Oct 10, 2004
Should I hook up component directly to my HDTV or normal video to the 811 and then pass through to DVI?

Welcome to SatelliteGuys.

I could be misunderstanding, but it sounds as if your asking whether or not you should connect your VCR or DVD player thru the "Composite" inputs of the 811 to allow the 811 to "Up-Convert" your legacy equipment.

The 811 is suppose to up-convert the "Composite" inputs, however it is consensus opinion that the up-conversion capabilities of the 811 for these inputs is inferior. All I can say is go ahead and try it, most people have "Composite" RCA patch cables laying around to try. Personally, if your DVD player has "Component-Video" capabilities, YPrPb, this would be far superior.

My humble opinion,

Jason

I have done testing with both DVI and Component outputs. I personally think DVI is much better in respect to color. I barely could notice and distortion in picture.
Techincally since DVI is Pur digital signal compaered to componenct which is digital-analog-digial, there tends to be more distortionand noise with component. I still have yet to notice the noise through component. I think you should use DVI, but its more of a personal preference so test both out.

amx said:
I have done testing with both DVI and Component outputs. I personally think DVI is much better in respect to color. I barely could notice and distortion in picture.
Techincally since DVI is Pur digital signal compaered to componenct which is digital-analog-digial, there tends to be more distortionand noise with component. I still have yet to notice the noise through component. I think you should use DVI, but its more of a personal preference so test both out.
Actually there are situations where your statement goes even further.

DVI is pure digital on a Digital "Fixed-Pixel" display...(such as: Plasma, DLP, LCD, or ILA.) on a CRT based display it would go thru a digital to analog conversion to be displayed on the analog crt display output.

Component Video is an analog connection in either case.

In my opinion, DVI works best on a "Fixed-Pixel" display and Component-Video works best on a "CRT" display.

Jason

I disagree. I tested out the 811 box using component vs DVI, and if there is any difference I can tell (very slight) it's that the colors are perhaps a little better over component, believe it or not.

Anyway that's fine with me. I have 2 dvi inputs to my set, one being used for DVD player, and I'm reserving the other for my near-future plans of making it a PC display :)

Either way...channels like HDNET @ 1080i output look STUNNING from the 811 box. This HD box can certainly handle its hi-def, no doubt.

ndahbar said:
I disagree. I tested out the 811 box using component vs DVI, and if there is any difference I can tell (very slight) it's that the colors are perhaps a little better over component, believe it or not.

Anyway that's fine with me. I have 2 dvi inputs to my set, one being used for DVD player, and I'm reserving the other for my near-future plans of making it a PC display :)

Either way...channels like HDNET @ 1080i output look STUNNING from the 811 box. This HD box can certainly handle its hi-def, no doubt.
Welcome to SatelliteGuys,

Just a quick question, what type of display are you using?

Jason

The DVI looks better on my Panasonic 47 RP HDTV. I need a longer cable than the included component video cable that came with the 811, so I figured I'd try the DVI connector. It absolutely looks a little bit better(hard to describe but I could tell immediately). If indeed my CRT based RP HDTV is converting the digital to analog when using the DVI, maybe the Panasonic is doing a better job converting than the 811??? About 20 bucks for a 10ft cable...quality seems good...

No I don't work for this company, they have the tripp lite 10 foot dual link DVI the cheapest via pricegrabber.com....
http://www.provantage.com/buy-7trpa...ite-cables-connectivity-p560-010-shopping.htm

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)