Component or HDMI/DVI with 722/RP-CRT HDTV?

Offroad

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 13, 2004
I have a 722 DVR that is sending HD signals via Component cables to a Sony 57" Rear Projection CRT HDTV. The picture is very good but would a HDMI/DVI cable be any better? The Sony is a KP-57WS510 which I believe upscales everything to 1080i.

Is the number of conversions between digital and analog the same whether using Component or HDMI/DVI?

Component: Digital Sat feed to the 722 - Conversion to Analog in 722 (Component) - Analog 1080i signal in Sony is displayed without conversion.

HDMI/DVI: Digital Sat feed to the 722 - Digital feed to the Sony (HDMI/DVI) - Conversion to Analog in Sony.

I would probably be using a HDMI/HDMI cable with a DVI converter at the Sony, so the cable could be used again on later equipment. Should I give HDMI/DVI a try or stick with Component?

Thanks.

I have a 722 DVR that is sending HD signals via Component cables to a Sony 57" Rear Projection CRT HDTV. The picture is very good but would a HDMI/DVI cable be any better? The Sony is a KP-57WS510 which I believe upscales everything to 1080i.

Is the number of conversions between digital and analog the same whether using Component or HDMI/DVI?

Component: Digital Sat feed to the 722 - Conversion to Analog in 722 (Component) - Analog 1080i signal in Sony is displayed without conversion.

HDMI/DVI: Digital Sat feed to the 722 - Digital feed to the Sony (HDMI/DVI) - Conversion to Analog in Sony.

I would probably be using a HDMI/HDMI cable with a DVI converter at the Sony, so the cable could be used again on later equipment. Should I give HDMI/DVI a try or stick with Component?

Thanks.

I have a VIP622 connected to my Sony 46" RPTV via DVI / HDMI connection. I used to have it connected with component also and IMHO the component connection looks better (brighter) than the DVI / HDMI connection. Because of the limited number of connections on my t.v. (or until I decide on BluRay or HDDVD), I have to keep it connected that way. To me the DVI / HDMI connection PQ looks much more "washed out" than the component connection. You could always try it and if your not satisfied you could always take the cable back.

Thanks.

I have the same TV and prefer component over DVI. This is both before and after calibration.

IMHO, save your $$$ and enjoy your HD via component (722). I have a 65" RP Mitz with component only, great HD. My 42" LCD Olevia is hooked up with both HDMI and component and after adjustments you'd be hard pressed to see any difference. If anything, the component is a bit better. If you're like me and insist on trying HDMI or possibly HDMI to DVI (I don't know your Sony's input) get the cable from momoprice.com. Excellent prices and fast service.

ED

Almost forgot--the Olevia is connected to a 622.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts