Component output better than DVI output on the STB?

dash2004

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 6, 2005
Has anyone noticed that PQ from component input is better than DVI input? I have been wondering about this for a while and thought this might be perculiar to my TV set. I just found out today from AVS forum that several other people also noticed this. Component input looks clearner (i.e., darker dark background) than DVI (softer and whiter in a dark background, almost foggy like). But close-ups always look better on DVI than on component. I tried to reduce the dark level on my TV set and still could not get rid of the filmsy, foggy appearace on the picture. I thought DVI is supposed to be the better one (digital vs. analog), but apparently not the case here. Someone mentioned that there is an hardware issue with DVI output on the voom box. Is that true?

Any thoughts on this issue?

Depends on your set IMO. On my 1080i RPTV I preffer component, better color saturation. But with DVI it looks maybe a bit sharper but the colors are not as vibrant. 720p set owners often prefer DVI on their fixed pixel displays. In any case you have to be sure both inputs have 64+ point convergence properly set before making a comparison.

vurbano said:
Depends on your set IMO. On my 1080i RPTV I preffer component, better color saturation. But with DVI it looks maybe a bit sharper but the colors are not as vibrant. 720p set owners often prefer DVI on their fixed pixel displays.

Glad to hear you have similar observation. My TV is a PDP so convergency is not an issue here. Isn't DVI better with the digital to digital transfer than component with the digital to analog and back to digital transfer?

I compared DVI vs. Component when I first installed Voom and found DVI to be superior. I did notice that the pic was a bit darker on component as you mentioned, but I interpreted the darker pic as having less detail. I did not notice the “foggy appearance” you mentioned. I guess in some ways you can interpret the darker picture as having better contrast in the overall picture, but I think you lose some pic detail as a result. Another possible factor is that I am viewing Voom on a CRT screen that are known to have deeper blacks than Plasma, LCD or DLP.

I have a 720p native LCD. At first glance component looks better (darker blacks, more saturated color), but at closer inspection DVI is more accurate (but the Moto box looses sync every time I change the channel). On my plasma I find VGA to be spot on, after proper calibration. So, I guess I agree, your mileage may vary depending on your equipment.

GreatMac said:
I have a 720p native LCD. At first glance component looks better (darker blacks, more saturated color), but at closer inspection DVI is more accurate (but the Moto box looses sync every time I change the channel). On my plasma I find VGA to be spot on, after proper calibration. So, I guess I agree, your mileage may vary depending on your equipment.

Thanks for sharing your experience. My TV also has a VGA port available that I can try. Where do you get your DVI-VGA cable from? Or is it some other output-VGA conversion?

i have a toshiba 52 inch dlp with the hdmi input (no dvi ) and component is def better than the the dvi with hdmi adapter on this set everything is identicle the color the sharpness ect but with the dvi the tv image is ghosted like or blurry somewhat you can tell in the voom program guide the letters have some sort of double image or ghosted

I have a Mitsu 52825 DLP with a DVI to HDMI cable and the PQ is far superior than component inputs. The picture is sharper and cleaner IMHO while the dark levels seem to be the same IMO.

IMHO, it is important to calibrate the set for each input in order to be able to make meaningful observations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)