Component output gone bad on 811?

Magoozie

Original poster
Jan 4, 2005
I have been leasing an 811 for the past 6 months or so and have a 36" Sony XBR (bought in 2001). When switching from SD to HD stations I would usually change the settings from 4X3 and 480P to 16X9 and 1080i. I have no idea if that is correct, it seemed to provide the best quality.

Anyhow, this past Friday, after switching to an HD station and doing my usual change, the screen went black with white horizontal dashes going across the whole screen. I thought I had switched to the wrong settings (I had once switched to 720p and display got all screwed up). So I tried to change it back from memory but it didn't work. I tried the component inputs from my DVD player on the ports that are usually connected to the satellite receiver and the tv port worked. Then I switched the cables and still got the same black screen with white lines and finally tried connecting to the other set of component ports on the TV with the DVD cables and still got the same result.

Went through this process with Dish and they are sending out a new unit this week. Could my regular configuration changes have caused the problem? Also, is there a better way of changing the setup without manually going into the config? The tech from Dish suggested using page up/page down to toggle between settings, but if I remember correctly that didn't seem to work right.

Please excuse my rough description of the problem I am not really familiar with the settings and terminology.

Thanks.

why dont you hook up the s-video or composite cables to check the HD rez settings. s-video and composite are always 480i so you should be able to see the setup screen without any problems

Sorry I forgot to mention that I did use the s-video cable and confirmed the settings, but the component interface still didn't work. Got the same black screen with white horizontal dashes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts