Component To Hdmi?

jonesbruce91361

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
Does anyone know if there is any hope for those of us who've spent thousands on an HD set that does not have an HDMI port? In other words, is there any way to make an adapter that would fit between the component port on my TV and the HDMI on an HD receiver or HD DVD player? Or are we talking apples and oranges here?

If not, then I guess I'm stuck with Big Brother down-rezzing my component hookup on my "antiquated" ten thousand dollar HD TV, whenever they feel like it, right? Even if I'm not interested in copying an HD movie, just watching it?

Please tell me this nightmare is not true.

Component is analog and HDMI is digital. You could try http://www.dvdo.com, but those iScan units are somewhat expensive.

There is no "adapter plug" or "adapter cable" to do a D/A conversion. What service to you use to supply your HD? You provider should have a set-top that does some combo of HDMI, with either DVI or component as the 2nd option out. Not to mention the s-video and composite outs as well.

If you use (as you should) a quality A/V unit to decode & distribute your multi-channel sourround sound (DD, DTS, etc), then the only thing you need to send to the display is the video signal, and I bet you really will not see any discernible difference between the HDMI or component video.

Last edited:
My provider is Dish Network, and yes, I send the video signal via component directly from my 211 to the tv. And no complaints about the picture which is awesome on my Mitz 73" HD set. But my concern is that without an HDMI port on my set, it's only a matter of time before I'm dead in the water as far as HD DVD is concerned. This is doubly troubling considering the recent articles I've been reading in regards to digital not being any more "pure" than analog, and often even more troublesome, especially with extened cable lengths. I've always been able to live with the fact that every tv is susceptible to progress and technology gain--which is as it should be--but this down-rezzing component thing seems wholly corporate orchastrated and downright un-American to this layman.

Ah, so its the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray (as the providers) that you have concerns with ?

I too use component instead of the HDMI that both my FPTV (37' cable run) and set-tops provide. I, and numerous viewers, see no visible difference. I am waiting out till at least the release of the 2nd generation of HD players as they seem to have more pressing issues than merely their output method; to me.

I concur completely: I've seen HDMI and component side by side and if there is a difference, these tired old eyes can't discern it.

I'm just huffed up over the fact that down rez-ing component is being used as a vehicle for copy protection by corporate heads with no one's permission but theire own. They control the lobby because the DVD biz is run by movies and movies are run by Hollywood.

Nor do I kid myself that someone won't finally figure away around the HDMI copy guard just the way hackers have always figured a way around any and all previous attempts H'wood has thrown at them--or, for that matter, that recordable DVD players are doubtless in the offing.

That's really beside the point. For all I know HDMI may actually be superior to component, if one really believes digital is inherently better than analog. There are legitimate reasons why some people prefer records over CD's. But again, tha'st not what flips me off; I can still BUY records of practically anything and listen to them on my 1960 Grundig console and argue all day over the virtues of "superior" sound. What I dislike is someone "breaking in" to my DVD player--even if it's over the air--and fooling with the resolution. Don't seem right.

But then, neither does telemarketing--at least to me--and no one seems able to curb that atrosity.

Maybe it's time to stop watching so many DVD's and pick up a book again? I wonder how the HDMI folks would feel about that? Probably something akin to the way current theater owners feel about the lack of traffic in the their multiplexes...

I dont see any diferance between HDMI and component cables on my 65 inch Mits, in fact going back to component and digital coax fixed the out of sinc audio to video I was having. I now use the HDMI on my DVD player.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts